Is "Game" finished?

Just been into my local Game and picked up FEAR 1, 2 & 3 for £14 which isn't bad, plus Far Cry 2 and Chronicles of Riddick for £5 each.

Also I picked up 2 copies of Nier for £2.98 each after people mentioned that they couldnt find it so if you want a copy then let me know. Both copies are available.

It looked like business as usual in the Game I visited at lunch.

Not particularly busy, but why would it be on a Tuesday lunch time? Obviously they didn't have ME3 et al on display but the shelves were far from barren. Chart games still stocked high. Pre-owned games on sale but not in an End-of-Days fashion.

Makes me want to see pictures of all these bare deserted shelves, empty as a morgue Game shops you all seem to be visiting.

I just went around Game and GS in York and didn't find any bargains tbh, the decent games they had didn't really have any noticeable reductions.

Also went in to HMV because I wanted to get ME3 and surprise surprise they didn't have any in stock, in fact they were as poorly stocked as Game in terms of recent releases.

I went on Thursday evening and it definitely had the sale on. As you're looking at the cash desk, the display unit that is the furthest from the till, the left hand side of that had the signs up, with reductions. That totalled about 25 games, at most.

They might have added loads since, but it seems very unlikely. They don't have much pre-owned stuff there at all.

Cool thanks for that, I must of somhow missed them (as it was a small area), there where other 2nd hand games not marked up with the regular ones thou (went at lunchtime). Might be worth another look.

It looked like business as usual in the Game I visited at lunch.

Not particularly busy, but why would it be on a Tuesday lunch time? Obviously they didn't have ME3 et al on display but the shelves were far from barren. Chart games still stocked high. Pre-owned games on sale but not in an End-of-Days fashion.

Makes me want to see pictures of all these bare deserted shelves, empty as a morgue Game shops you all seem to be visiting.

Mate, you should visit Gamestation in Croydon. Barely any stock left, the heating is off as they cant afford the bill, despondant staff and a real sense of dispair.

Cool thanks for that, I must of somhow missed them (as it was a small area), there where other 2nd hand games not marked up with the regular ones thou (went at lunchtime). Might be worth another look.

They might have still been updating the prices, but there wasn't anything that I'd seen mentioned on here that I was after even at full-price. But it's probably worth a look, they might have got stuff from other places there I guess.

Wow, whenever I've gone in there, I've gone upstairs. Never knew it even has a downstairs, let alone a GAME in there.

I am disappoint.

For ages they had a SegaWorld downstairs in Hamleys, many a time was spent in there on their linked Daytona machines, it was a joy. I also convinced them to give me a huge 5 foot by about 3 foot Sonic 3 cardboard cutout. Joy.

Anyway, I went to GAME on Oxford Street in the end and they had a really weird selection of stuff to be honest, Gears 3 and Catherine (on offer) for £34.98? Pre-owned was the only place were there was anything remotely resembling a reasonable (or same as online) price; Bulletstorm for £4 and TDU for a tenner. I know I could have probably bought this cheaper and it's only £15 as Game on Demand but balls to it, it was the same shop I bought my original 360 from and also queued up outside for a late launch of something, Galaxy iirc, where Mr. (voice o' Mario) Martinet (sp) was signing copies (although the queue for him was too long so couldn't be arsed, so I thought I'd give them some money (although £4 of it was on a gift card anyway).

What was quite a good deal (but the last they had in the shop) was a 120GB HDD for £29.98 - not the cheapest ever in the world but not bad I thought.

I was going to get some PS3 stuff for my mate but there didn't seem to be a single copy of Heavy Rain or the first two Uncharteds, which was a bit peculiar.

They also had two probably area managers just lurking about in the corner by the tills doing absolutely fuck all, which I couldn't quite understand. Maybe making sure the staff signed up as many loyalty cards as they possibly could.

the one in the hamleys in glasgow is taking part in the sale. You can pick up a £100 grand diamond encrusted model of a lambo aswell. The disney music in there is fucking brutal but they seem to have quote a lot left.

Nothing says 'taste' quite like a diamond encrusted model of a Lamborghini.

Managed to swing by Gamestation in Glasgow ealier.. picked up the following on PSP:

God of War Chains of Olympus - £1.97

Lords of Arcana - £2.97

Coded Arms - £1.97

Burnout Legends - £1.97

added to the other stuff Ive already picked up its a hell of a lot of gaming for under £20.

Had a VERY quick scan of the PS3 and 360 sections but most of the good stuffs long gone.. plus I had a train to catch so was in a rush!

I am disappoint.

For ages they had a SegaWorld downstairs in Hamleys, many a time was spent in there on their linked Daytona machines, it was a joy. I also convinced them to give me a huge 5 foot by about 3 foot Sonic 3 cardboard cutout. Joy.

They had a SEGA World in the basement? Man, if I had known that, I would've been on it like Sonic. I only ever played in the SEGA World in The Trocadero in Picadilly and Mega World at the top of Debenhams in Croydon.

God, the Debenhams thing. Who the hell thought that up? All it did was attract skanky kids to the store. It was often quiet up there though, sometimes me and my mates/wife had the place to ourselves. Then they opened up EB up there. I got my psx and xbox there.

I went to a tertiary GS in Nottingham today, the shelves were pretty stocked and they had music blasting. It wasn't busy, but I doubt a Monday afternoon is their peak trade time. Not a lot of bargains, they did have an unboxed shelf full of cheap games though, some as low as 49p. I didn't buy anything though, as I really don't need or desire any games at the moment. Steam4life.

Oh, they had lots of copies of the MGS collection at £44.99!

Got a friend to pick up King of Fighters XIII: Deluxe Edition for £7.99 pre-owned (almost new condition, mind you). He also furnished me with a copy of Rockstar Table Tennis (49p) and Virtua Tennis 2009 (less than a quid), so yeah...I doubt I'll be buying any new games in the foreseeable future. It probably wasn't GAME's intent to undermine new game sales with this fire sale, and I doubt they've sold enough to do any significant damage in the long-term, but I'm more than content with what I've got, and I wonder whether others feel the same.

What is Neir ?

Is it any good

Neir has a great story, unusually endearing characters and a fantastic soundtrack . Its basically for the most part a hack and slash game and on the down side it can be repetitive and if you want to do side quests it will mean visiting some locations a million times BUT I dont want to put you off playing it cos its one of those games you have to see for yourself if you like it.

That's an awesome story. The best memory I could come up was throwing a kiddy tantrum at my mother (I think I was 10) right in front of the staff when I wanted to buy NBA Hangtime on the SNES, priced at an extortionate £59.99. She gave in!

She should have smacked your arse. I demand you send her £60 today.

Man, how much of a smart move was buying GameStation, though? Premeditated?

They were going cheap at a time when both businesses were quite successful.

Blockbuster bought out Gamestation years ago when they were still independent (though quite widespread), but then Blockbuster had financial problems and sold Gamestation for what I think was an undisclosed sum - though apparently it was very favourable for the buyer.

GAME's mistake wasn't really the purchase, it was blending the two businesses together to the point where they're as similar as they are today. They appealed to different markets; for example, when GAME at Christmas would offer a PS2 with three set medicore games, Gamestation would offer a PS2 with any game of your choice for the same price - they were for the more discerning customer who knew what they wanted, whereas GAME were for the bewildered parents and grandparents.

Diversity in a business can be more expensive, but it's a good thing for when you run into problems, because effectively you have two revenue streams that are "tapping" the pockets of different customers - that way, if one experiences some turmoil you hope the other will pick up the slack. That's a really simple principle of diversification that I learned in GCSE Geography. I find it really surprising that they made this mistake, and can only assume that their financial woes actually stretch further back than we're aware of, which necessitated cost savings that merged the two businesses. We'll probably never know unless the firm goes under and someone blogs a retrospective.