rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
roskelld

Dungeon Crawlers

Ok so i'm in the market for a dungeon crawler. I had Heroquest when I was younger, but it mostly consisted of me laying the board out and not know what I was doing.....

I'm looking for one that is more traditional in that respect, and one that can be played solo, but occaisonally two player. I'm thinking the d+d ones such as WoA is probably most suited? But then I get distracted by Mage Knight etc....

Definitely the D&D ones (though it'll be Drizzt now as WoA seems to be sold out everywhere). I actually regret giving into nostalgia a bit with HeroQuest because, well, it's a bit shit and WoA embodies everything I liked about it anyway.

Failing that, Advance HeroQuest can be had at a reasonable price, or you sink £100 on Warhammer Quest. Both of which seem much better than HQ.

Lots of others though with different slants on them though. D&D ones are a safe bet I think.

I'm enjoying D&D WoA, though it's not quite like Advanced Hero Quest. Although you do crawl through the dungeon, I find the process a lot slower than in AHQ, maybe that's the way I play it though.

I don't know what would be a straight swap for AHQ. Something that acts a lot like Diablo, in the hunt to explore for stairs down and then progressing through the game level by level, revealing harder and harder monsters as you go.

In the few games that I've had of WoA, I've barely moved from the start point as the monsters just seem to stream in. That might be just in the scenario I picked though, there are lots of them to choose.

In the few games that I've had of WoA, I've barely moved from the start point as the monsters just seem to stream in. That might be just in the scenario I picked though, there are lots of them to choose.

That's my experience too, The game just never. stops. chucking. shit. at. you.

I've just been having a browse on BBG looking for ideas of games I might check out on tomorrow's trip to Mission & Fun and I ended up looking at Dungeon Plungin' a print & play game (I drifted), from there I started thinking about having a go and what I'd do about creating the board pieces, then I ended up finding this Brickquest. How awesome does the board look!

gencon2003.jpg

Anyway, Dungeon Plungin' sounds great, many people compare it to AHQ. I quite fancy having a go setting it up. Building the board pieces from Lego might be a tad expensive. Especially as all my Lego is back in the UK.

• Upvote 2

Whilst looking for ideas on printing Airborne in My Pocket I found this company on BGG Print & Play Productions. They produce a ton of stuff, including Dungeon Plungin', Airborne and Goblin Slayer

pic1209533_lg.jpg

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47270/item/1343114#item1343114

The production looks great, and for the most part, so do the prices. Dungeon Plungin' aint cheap, but then, it does have tons of figures and it's impressive that they cut around each one rather than have it on a rectangular background.

Ha, that's interesting. I'll stick with my new £4.50 copy of Goblin Slayer though (£5.00 once I've laminated the boards).

Dungeon Plungin' is insane at that price. Just get Warhammer Quest.

I've got Airborne and DP downloaded and ready to go now mind!

If anyone's interested, I have the Winter-themed release of Dungeoneer for trade, plus I've made laminated playermats that I'll throw in. I'm looking for a copy of the Resident Evil Deck Building Game.

Legend of Drizzt turned up today, took it home during my dinner and punched the card sheets through. I'm thinking to myself the pictures show a lot more 'stuff' than this...have a quick look at all the figures and then put everything away.

Soon as the kids were in bed I took all the stuff out again and set up the first scenario using Drizzt and the cards recommended. But i'm missing a tile. Argh, nightmare. I'll use a different tile and see how the game plays though. Can't find the hero stat card. Have another look at the box, and yeah underneath the black insert is about 9 more cardboard sheets to pop out. :doh: :doh: I'm thinking why the hell weren't these on the top to start with, but then the weight probably would have crushed the plastic insert. Worst of all I had this moment of stupidity right in front of the wife, who was already looking at me disapprovingly....

Couple of questions about the game though.

You start on the start tile, if your chap has more movement spaces than what are left, do you simply move to the edge of a tile and stop? Then lay a tile. I can't move to a tile edge, lay a tile and then finish moving into the new tile?

As soon as you lay a tile you draw a monster card and place said monster on mushroom. I take it the monster follows its orders and can attack straight away?

If you draw a tile with a black triangle, you draw both a monster and an encounter card?

I managed to escape on my first go but I was down to 2 health points :coffee:

Couple of questions about the game though.

You start on the start tile, if your chap has more movement spaces than what are left, do you simply move to the edge of a tile and stop? Then lay a tile. I can't move to a tile edge, lay a tile and then finish moving into the new tile?

You can't. Tile draws and moves take place in different phases.

As soon as you lay a tile you draw a monster card and place said monster on mushroom. I take it the monster follows its orders and can attack straight away?
Yup. Once you reach their phase, monsters activate on the same turn they're placed.
If you draw a tile with a black triangle, you draw both a monster and an encounter card?

Again, yup. Black triangles indicate dangerous areas, so you draw an encounter card. Be prepared to develop a fear of any tile with 'volcanic' in the title.

One of the things that confused me was the monster turns. The player that draws the monster, controls it, meaning that the monster only performs its stuff on the player's turn that drew it.

At first we were drawing monsters and placing them into a pool. Then on each player's go, ALL monsters would activate. This meant that we didn't last too long, making a hard game even harder.

So is Drizzt easily the best of the DnD games? I'm drawn more towards Wrath of Ash due to the class choices available, they're all bloody fighters in Drizzt, and the setting appeals to me less.

Only one thing worries me about the rules; if you don't advance you draw an encounter card, which is often very bad news (mostly worse than a new monster I've heard). Doesn't this rule make it so that you're just sprinting through the dungeon and hardly bothering to coordinate with your fellows?

Not really, because you can't really move that far in a turn that you could just bomb through a dungeon - and you stop at each un-explored edge of a tile anyway. It would also be pretty suicidal to try it. Between monsters, villains, traps and other encounters you'd be stopped dead in short order and lots of very bad things would catch up with you.

So is Drizzt easily the best of the DnD games? I'm drawn more towards Wrath of Ash due to the class choices available, they're all bloody fighters in Drizzt, and the setting appeals to me less.

While there's quite a bit of variety in the characters in Drizzt it's not the traditional/clichéd D&D Forgotten Realms setting. The main downside is there are no explicit mage characters, so no magic missile/chromatic orb moments.

It's still good though.

Not really, because you can't really move that far in a turn that you could just bomb through a dungeon - and you stop at each un-explored edge of a tile anyway. It would also be pretty suicidal to try it. Between monsters, villains, traps and other encounters you'd be stopped dead in short order and lots of very bad things would catch up with you.

Yeah, this. Monsters and villains move relentlessly, often teleporting from tile to tile rather than moving a set number of squares. The main reason for coordinating actions with other players is to clear the monsters. Assuming you managed to barrel through, say, the second quest in the book, at the end of it you'd be sandwiched between a couple of monsters between you and the crown and an entire dungeon-load of monsters snapping at your heels, not to mention the scenario villain, who's a major bad-ass in and of himself.

Plus, encounter cards are sometimes helpful (expect to run into a few harmless rock formations along the way) and can be negated by spending experience points, something that can't be said of monsters.

While there's quite a bit of variety in the characters in Drizzt it's not the traditional/clichéd D&D Forgotten Realms setting. The main downside is there are no explicit mage characters, so no magic missile/chromatic orb moments.

It's still good though.

Yeah, this. Monsters and villains move relentlessly, often teleporting from tile to tile rather than moving a set number of squares. The main reason for coordinating actions with other players is to clear the monsters. Assuming you managed to barrel through, say, the second quest in the book, at the end of it you'd be sandwiched between a couple of monsters between you and the crown and an entire dungeon-load of monsters snapping at your heels, not to mention the scenario villain, who's a major bad-ass in and of himself.

Plus, encounter cards are sometimes helpful (expect to run into a few harmless rock formations along the way) and can be negated by spending experience points, something that can't be said of monsters.

I see, thank you for the clear responses. Will try to pick it up this week.

edit: My local shop has Ashardalon for £47, (+ bus fare £3), so I ordered Drizzt from thebookdepository for £41. Convinced myself that the characters seem pretty cool actually, a halfling, archer, some dwarves and whatnot, plenty of variety!