Little advice regarding Amiga memory upgrades

WizRider

Hi all.

I could have put this in ask the forum but it has a very definite retro slant so I figured this is still the best place.

I've just bought an Amiga 1200 and have got a CF memory card adaptor with tons of awesome WHDLoad Amiga games but a lot of them need more memory than comes as standard with the machine.

What is the minimum I'd need to buy to get most/all the games working? I suspect a 4mb daughterboard upgrade would do it but I can't seem to find any info or any for sale.

Any advice or links would be much appreciated. If anyone has something for sale that would do it, then I'd definitely be interested in buying it.

Cheers...

I think the recommended amount of FastRAM is about 4megs. I've currently got 32 in my 1200.

Amiga Kit don't currently have any expansions in stock.

You can reserve a 68030 RAM expansion here: http://www.vesalia.de/e_aca1231-42.htm

You could also register and keep an eye on Amibay: http://www.amibay.com - expansions often crop up on there.

As you'll see, memory/CPU expansions for Amigas are pretty expensive.

4MB will suffice but a lot of games will have flicker on cutscenes/slowdown as WHDLoad takes up a fair chunk of memory. In the end I settled on 8MB and everything ran perfectly, cost about £55 for the card and a few quid for the sticks of RAM. But like Rob says get yourself over to the English Amiga Board as stuff comes up for sale all the time.

Thanks guys.

The item that Rob linked to looks like it's not only a memory upgrade but is also a CPU upgrade. Quite expensive but it looks like it come with 64mb RAM. Am I reading that right?

I notice on my 1200 that I have 2mb of one type of memory (chip memory?) and 0mb of the other type (fast memory?). Which do I need for games and which type is upgraded by card at Rob's link?

I'd hate to spend 170 Euros on something that still leaves me unable to play some of the WHDLoad games.

Cheers...

You won't need anything past 8MB to play Amiga games. Anything beyond that is a bit pointless unless you are looking into software stuff. None of the Amiga games released up to and a bit beyond the A1200 last official release need anything beyond 8MB. So unless you are looking for stuff other than games I wouldn't worry, plus those higher RAM things are mega expensive, you'd be looking at building a tower really to go that far. I suspect you are just after games so stick to 8MB. I could even run CD32 games perfectly on my 8MB card just ran them straight from WHDLoad.

You won't need anything past 8MB to play Amiga games. Anything beyond that is a bit pointless unless you are looking into software stuff. None of the Amiga games released up to and a bit beyond the A1200 last official release need anything beyond 8MB. So unless you are looking for stuff other than games I wouldn't worry, plus those higher RAM things are mega expensive, you'd be looking at building a tower really to go that far. I suspect you are just after games so stick to 8MB. I could even run CD32 games perfectly on my 8MB card just ran them straight from WHDLoad.

That ties in nicely with what I was thinking and means that I just(!) need to find that 8mb upgrade then. If you have a second, is there any chance you could find a link or picture of such an upgrade just so I can make sure that I end up buying is what I need?

Thanks again Lorfarius.

P.S. How are you getting on with the new NES Bit magazine?

I had a look back through my old posts on the EAB but all the pictures have been pulled :( If you go to my Youtube channel and search Amiga there's bound to be something on there. I think I showed the board off when I got it:

My link

Also found this vid I did which lists the version of Workbench and memory I had at the time (it only has 6MB but this was before I upgraded to 8):

My link

Issue 2 is still under way, hopefully done soon :D

I've got an Amiga 600 with 1MB extra chip and 2 MB PCMCIA memory and the majority of games are fine- you just need to take off the preload option and it really isn't an issue. Well, memory isn't the issue- it's more to do with compatibility with the 600, what with most WHDLoad installs being made for the 1200 originally.

Anyway, get yourself 2 MB PCMCIA memory and you'll be fine.....

I've got an Amiga 600 with 1MB extra chip and 2 MB PCMCIA memory and the majority of games are fine- you just need to take off the preload option and it really isn't an issue. Well, memory isn't the issue- it's more to do with compatibility with the 600, what with most WHDLoad installs being made for the 1200 originally.

Anyway, get yourself 2 MB PCMCIA memory and you'll be fine.....

Thanks morra.

As an Amiga newb, how would I go about doing that? The CF card that I've bought has instructions for getting more memory available by booting up with the left mouse button held down and then selecting to run a particular app (which you can then use to select a game to load) rather than load the full blown Workbench.

Do you have any ideas how I could take the preload option off in my particular case?

Cheers...

Do you have any ideas how I could take the preload option off in my particular case?

The Preload option can be switched off by editing the icon for the relevant game once you're in Workbench.

So, you'd (this is going from memory, as I'm not in front of my 1200 at the mo) click once on the icon for the relevant game to select it, then you'd right click and go to 'info' at the top of the screen.

This would then show you what script is kicked-off when you double-click on that icon. You should see the preload option detailed in the script.

I completely forgot about the PCMCIA memory upgrade. I think this would certainly be the way to go. I think they're a lot cheaper, but I don't know anything about them.

Worth mentioning - some trapdoor expansions over 4MB will actually lock out the PCMCIA slot as they use the same address space. If they do (and my 030 does), there's usually a jumper on it to limit to 4MB.

So if you stick an 8MB expansion in, and still want to use the PCMCIA slot, be aware of this!

Worth mentioning - some trapdoor expansions over 4MB will actually lock out the PCMCIA slot as they use the same address space. If they do (and my 030 does), there's usually a jumper on it to limit to 4MB.

So if you stick an 8MB expansion in, and still want to use the PCMCIA slot, be aware of this!

Thanks for the info. I'm only interested in using the Amiga for WHDLoad gaming so won't have a use for the PCMCIA slot.

Never thought it would be this tricky to buy an upgrade for a 1200 (notsomuch from a technical point of view, more the availability of them)!

Cheers...

Never thought it would be this tricky to buy an upgrade for a 1200 (notsomuch from a technical point of view, more the availability of them)!

I wonder if a quick email to http://www.powerc.com/ asking if they've any lying around might be worth a shot? They used to sell loads before they went all PC. Might have some kicking about in a cupboard somewhere?

For someone who's Amiga experience stopped with an A500 with 1 or 2MB, how much improvement was there in games from the A1200 on?

I've still got the A500 and an A600HD and A1200 in the loft and seeing this is making me nostalgic.

It's not a massive jump. Some games simply featured more colours or perhaps some parallax scrolling (as opposed to copper backgrounds).

The increase in CPU speed made 3D stuff a bit smoother.

It's not a massive jump. Some games simply featured more colours or perhaps some parallax scrolling (as opposed to copper backgrounds).

The increase in CPU speed made 3D stuff a bit smoother.

Thanks.

I'm not all that fussed about 3D games - that's what modern consoles are for.

I'll have a rummage in the loft later and see if they still work.

Hi all.

Thanks for the help. I ended up winning the second auction (a Blizzard 1220 with 4Mb) for £69 so that should hopefully get most (if not all) of the WHDLoad games running.

Didn't really want to pay 150 Euros for something I don't think I'll make much use of.

Cheers...

Hi all.

Thanks for the help. I ended up winning the second auction (a Blizzard 1220 with 4Mb) for £69 so that should hopefully get most (if not all) of the WHDLoad games running.

Didn't really want to pay 150 Euros for something I don't think I'll make much use of.

Cheers...

That will do you good- although I was just going to say, have you tried playing any WHDLoad games with the Preload option switched off? You'd probably be able to play most Amiga games with 2MB chip ram and preload switched off..... But the card will certainly mean you don't need to switch off the preload option now, that should cover about 95% of games- the others you can always switch off preload.

Anyway, now you just need to get the WHDLoad packs- search for KillerGorilla WHDLoad in Google and you should be in luck, all the pre-installed WHDLoad games you'll need!!!

Oh.. and you might want to start using WinUAE to partition the HDD- maybe someone else can remind me, does the 1200 have an issue with maximum HDD size? The 600 certainly doesn't like anything over 4GB.

Oh.. and you might want to start using WinUAE to partition the HDD- maybe someone else can remind me, does the 1200 have an issue with maximum HDD size? The 600 certainly doesn't like anything over 4GB.

I 'think' you're right about the 4GB limit, as it's a 32bit OS/computer.

I don't know with what version of Workbench it started with, but certainly on my OS3.9 installation, when I switch the computer on the hard drive boots, patches the ROM and then reboots into Workbench. What this patch does is allow partitions larger than 4GB (but you must ensure that your boot partition is under 4GB).

I've got a 9GB (I'm sure it's 9, as I'm always surprised at what an odd size it is) drive, which I've got split into various partitions.

Very sorry to hijack your thread WizRider, but resurrecting my Amiga gaming is something that I am also really keen to do, but I have absolutely no knowledge of upgrading an Amiga or playing Amiga games in any other way other than inserting a floppy disk! My Amiga 500 and 1200 still sit unused in my loft, along with a selection of boxed games.

I would be really grateful if someone can shed a little light on these questions:

1. If I wanted to play Amiga games in a more convenient way than the traditional floppy disk method, should I buy an Amiga 1200 with CF memory card adaptor from somewhere such as amigakit.com, or would my own A1200 be the starting point of my gaming? Is it better to upgrade my old Amiga, or buy a new one that has been made specifically for 21st Century Amiga gaming?

2. Where do I get hold of a "CF memory card adaptor with tons of awesome WHDLoad Amiga games" (as WizRider says in the first post)? :)

3. Would I still use my original boxed Amiga games, or would they not be needed?

Apologies if these questions are the most basic of basic, but I really don't want to abandon my Amiga, and whenever I visit other websites that have been recommended in the past, I just get confused by software and hardware terms that are used. I know what Workbench is, and anything else related to 80s/90s Amiga usage, but my knowledge ends there. I've made a thread on Ask The Forum asking if there is any value in selling my Amiga games, purely because at present they are just gathering dust in the loft. If I had more of an understanding about the options available for playing on the Amiga nowadays, I wouldn't need to abandon my Amiga.

Very sorry to hijack your thread WizRider, but resurrecting my Amiga gaming is something that I am also really keen to do, but I have absolutely no knowledge of upgrading an Amiga or playing Amiga games in any other way other than inserting a floppy disk! My Amiga 500 and 1200 still sit unused in my loft, along with a selection of boxed games.

I would be really grateful if someone can shed a little light on these questions:

1. If I wanted to play Amiga games in a more convenient way than the traditional floppy disk method, should I buy an Amiga 1200 with CF memory card adaptor from somewhere such as amigakit.com, or would my own A1200 be the starting point of my gaming? Is it better to upgrade my old Amiga, or buy a new one that has been made specifically for 21st Century Amiga gaming?

2. Where do I get hold of a "CF memory card adaptor with tons of awesome WHDLoad Amiga games" (as WizRider says in the first post)? :)

3. Would I still use my original boxed Amiga games, or would they not be needed?

Apologies if these questions are the most basic of basic, but I really don't want to abandon my Amiga, and whenever I visit other websites that have been recommended in the past, I just get confused by software and hardware terms that are used. I know what Workbench is, and anything else related to 80s/90s Amiga usage, but my knowledge ends there. I've made a thread on Ask The Forum asking if there is any value in selling my Amiga games, purely because at present they are just gathering dust in the loft. If I had more of an understanding about the options available for playing on the Amiga nowadays, I wouldn't need to abandon my Amiga.

No problems for hijacking - glad to share what I've learned.

Firstly, just use your existing A1200. No need to buy another one if you've already got one. Secondly, if you want to buy a preconfigured hard drive (of the CF variety) just get on ebay and pay around £40 for one already full of the complete WHDLoad games set. WHDLoad is a program that runs in the background of Workbench (the Amiga operating system) and lets you run specially 'converted' versions of all the popular Amiga games straight from their icons (or from a frontend if you'd prefer).

I bought this card: CF card with lots of games and it just worked first time.

I've since upgraded the memory to 4Mb (6Mb in total as it has 2Mb already in it) and have installed iGame onto the CF card so I can select the games from a nice frontend menu rather than have to navigate round lots of folders.

Hope that helps...