Photo Competition - December 2011

Mercury

Below are the entries for this month's competition. The theme for December was 'Tis the Season.

Voting Rules

Please vote for your THREE favourite photographs by quoting their numbers and the names of the forumites who took them.

e.g.

1st - 4. FishyFish

2nd - 1. MrPogo

3rd - 13. vamecum

Your first choice gets three points, your second choice gets two points, your third choice gets one point.

Voting closes at 8pm on Friday 13th January. The winner gets to choose February's subject.

1 - Phill

6454635917_f28924c3eb.jpg

2 - Swallow

6470426751_f13e0bd4ab_z.jpg

3 - neal before zod

post-1756-083457900%201324248084_thumb.jpg

4 - Suffocate Peon

988767yt5r4et656t56t5.png

5 - sonicwave

LR-Web-2419.jpg

6 - And

6595802301_039437d40c_z.jpg

Good luck everyone.

Andy

1 - 6 (And) - although not a typical Xmas image, it does the job perfectly of showing the excitement of kids at this time.

2 - 1 (Phill) - would have looked better if he'd darkened the background a bit and hid that plug - maybe a crop would help as the lower half of the photo showing the lights and the reflection are the best bit of the photo for me.

3 - 5 (SonicWave) - lovely depth of field

1 And - I think this is brilliant. I like photos that are more alive, in the moment and taken closer to the subject. Surprised it's not getting more votes. The majority of people on here frankly have terrible taste in art. That people would prefer Phill's photo over it would support that.

2 Swallow

3 neal before zod

And as an aside, i though Suffocate Peon had taken a picture of some girls pants when i saw that first. :unsure: I'm still not getting the massivly dark picture gig.

There's nothing to get...I just want what is there to stand out, I like starkness and shapes.

2nd. 4 - Suffocate Peon - nice different angle on it, depressing Christmas telly... :)

It was intended as a funny photo, but now that you say that and the more I look at it the more I like it. I just wanted the name of the show in barely readable letters but I've grown to like that it's a boring shot of just four people sat there. To me it says boredom, as though the diagonal candles and grey zig zag shape on the other side become somehow interesting given the alternative. I like that the woman on the right is holding her hand to her chin as though the conversation is stimulating. The photo is cut in two; I'm drawn to the left, it's brighter and is the focus, but for some reason I want to know what is on the right. I like that the four of them sat there could just as well mirror a family of four all gazing in the same direction. It feels like zooming in on the tv but at the same time zooming away from it, lost and isolated from the people around you. The viewer is so far away from the tv they might as well try to escape from the room without anyone noticing.

There's people in there?! How fucking bright do you have your monitor!!

And why are you knocking Phill's photo? Personally I would have cropped the top off, but the bottom of the photo with the ambient light and muted reflection is quite nice.

Hope you don't mind Phill, I did a quick & dirty crop with an added vignette and slight boost to the colours to see what it would look like:

You might not have meant it, but your comment comes across as quite arsey.

There's people in there?! How fucking bright do you have your monitor!!

Just people on the tv screen, no one in the dark.

And why are you knocking Phill's photo? Personally I would have cropped the top off, but the bottom of the photo with the ambient light and muted reflection is quite nice. You might not have meant it, but your comment comes across as quite arsey.

I don't mean to knock it, but because there's a plug socket in the background it makes it look like he's just thrown a load of christmas lights onto a surface and gone; that'll do. People can do what they want and like what they want, I only criticise when people ignore what's vivid, original, striking, and prefer that which is cliched, stale, boring, lazy.

I don't mean to knock it, but because there's a plug socket in the background it makes it look like he's just thrown a load of christmas lights onto a surface and gone; that'll do. People can do what they want and like what they want, I only criticise when people ignore what's vivid, original, striking, and prefer that which is cliched, stale, boring, lazy.

Whereas taking a picture of a TV screen, on the other hand, took a lot of time and effort?

I'm playing devil's advocate, of course - you could have been waiting a long time for the right moment to trip the shutter, just as Phill may have arranged the lights in a specific way before he took the photo. Whether you came up with the narrative for your photo before or after the event I can't be sure (but then I suppose that speaks something about the serendipity of photography if the frame you took happened to convey your intended message). I don't know how many photos you took or how long you spent editing it, after all, the same way you can't be sure how long Phill spent preparing his composition and editing his photograph.

And, for what it's worth, adopting the Provoke style of photography in all its 'are, bure, boke' glory, while vivid, isn't especially original. That said, I do like a lot of your photographs and they're certainly more interesting and challenging than a lot of stuff knocking about on here.

Whereas taking a picture of a TV screen, on the other hand, took a lot of time and effort?

No. By lazy I suppose I mean careless and thoughtless.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate, of course - you could have been waiting a long time for the right moment to trip the shutter, just as Phill may have arranged the lights in a specific way before he took the photo. Whether you came up with the narrative for your photo before or after the event I can't be sure (but then I suppose that speaks something about the serendipity of photography if the frame you took happened to convey your intended message). I don't know how many photos you took or how long you spent editing it, after all, the same way you can't be sure how long Phill spent preparing his composition and editing his photograph.

I didn't spend long on it, I was just messing about with my new camera moments after first using it. I don't think it's especially good either, I didn't think it'd do well. I put up a christmas photo that looked similar a year or two ago, this was kind of version 2. But it is a bit different at least, isn't it? ie, no one is likely to do the same. I find it disappointing people don't appreciate that. Being predictable and obvious with a subject is almost the worst thing you can be, I think anyway.

And, for what it's worth, adopting the Provoke style of photography in all its 'are, bure, boke' glory, while vivid, isn't especially original. That said, I do like a lot of your photographs and they're certainly more interesting and challenging than a lot of stuff knocking about on here.

Thanks, but I'm not adopting anything. I don't think it's as contrived as that because it's possible to tell. This particular photo just looked better in black and white. I don't always like the tackiness of colour, I like stuff to be as dry and monochrome as possible. I have my own motivations and ideas that others might have, have had, will have, but it doesn't change the fact that at that moment when I like the one photo I've taken out of many, it's surprising to me in some way...that's enough for me.

I think I am inadvertently doing a Smitty of some kind.

Being predictable and obvious with a subject is almost the worst thing you can be, I think anyway.

But by saying that aren't you running the same risk by using the same technique for all your photos?

I think I am inadvertently doing a Smitty of some kind.

Oh dear god no, this place would implode with two smitty's in existance!!!

Thanks for the comments on my photo. Anything positive/negative will help!

The feedback is appreciated as I am still learning, It was just a quick snap I took when testing out my new camera/putting up christmas decorations and I quite liked the look of it so I stuck it up here for the comp.