IGNORED

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Firaxis

Vemsie

Yeah I should be clear that I don't see a problem with adding the option - I just won't use it and it's not like it's going to be on by default like some other games' easy-mode features that they try to claim are optional (see Hitman Absolution's Instinct shite). But it definitely isn't a problem that they're 'fixing' and some people just don't understand randomisation.

Just fyi, the way groups are triggered is meant to be one of the things that is being addressed somewhat.

For example, iirc some enemies now can spot you and fire before you spot them, dont do the 'run to cover' animation and instead go straight to combat, can auto-overwatch etc. Basically sounds like you're much more likely to wander into an ambush.

But it definitely isn't a problem that they're 'fixing' and some people just don't understand randomisation.

Those people, they don't know what it means! They're stupid! They have a complaint and they don't get it! Curse them for not playing it how it should be. Curse them all. They just don't get it!

The bottom line is if they'd let "Save scum" do what they wanted from the start then no one would have had any issues with it. Agreed? Yes. Let's move on.

Just fyi, the way groups are triggered is meant to be one of the things that is being addressed somewhat.

For example, iirc some enemies now can spot you and fire before you spot them, dont do the 'run to cover' animation and instead go straight to combat, can auto-overwatch etc. Basically sounds like you're much more likely to wander into an ambush.

Yeah, that sounds ace - I really hope it lives up to that description.

Yeah that sounds much better. Although I did re-load missions on occasion, I didn't re-load every move or anything daft like that It was more a case of not wanting to play for donkeys to get back to that point but wanting to play the "mission" properly in one hit. Unfortunately though as I said, due to the positioning and so on not being random, it made it easier than I would have liked (even though I was already 'cheating' - if that makes much sense.

I thought we might have some impressions already :(

Still a piss take you can't buy this new version as a digital DLC for £20 if you've got the original disc and so on - I like the fact that you can buy this is as a standalone but it only benefits you if you've already sold your original game, otherwise it's a much worse deal.

Playing this on iPad, and loving it. On my second play through, as the first one when horribly wrong due to some bad planning on my part.

I've decided I'm going to do my damnedest to keep all my soldiers alive, even it I occasionally have to reload a mission. So far doing well at that, though this might mean that I'm spreading myself thin, promoting a small cadre rather then on a broad front.

Golden rule? Never, ever fail to get your trooper into cover, of course.

Finished the gane for the first time last week on normal ironman. Going to try for a classic playthrough but im fairly sure i wont have the damage modifier on. On the last mission both my snipers did 1 damage each with their plasma rifles against the first sectopod. Brown trousers until i ran the berserker id mind controlled in between them and they blew each other apart. Dont think id be able to handle classic with that sort of shit going on

First impressions up on the 2k forum from non-uk releases (we get it 15th dont we?).

Sounds great all round, and it seems a few of the concerns that have come up are largely unfounded, although imo it sounds like the shiv needs more love.

One of the old maps was removed, which kinda sucks. Otherwise, all the actual tweaks seem to have had the intended effect.

Turns out the skill tree randomiser isnt rank-locked though, which is huge, potentially. Messing with 2nd wave will be a real hoot, no doubt.

The big museum.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it had a bunch of big posh pillars and steps out front, a few squad cars, and a little side building that allowed alternate entry to the big two-tiered main hall on the left, where there was usually chryssalids, floaters, and a couple of sectopods waiting around.

Decent map I thought, must not have jived well with the changes they made. Odd though.

A consideration for MEC use.

Turns out that mecs adopt the stats from the trooper when they're converted, but then as mecs they upgrade at a different rate on promotion than as a meatbag. Usually slower, except for the heavy. So in some ways it's actually beneficial to hold off converting your dudes to mecs for as long as possible, as they'll have better stats.

Then again you probably dont want to go most of the game without them, so it's probably good practice to stagger your meccing throughout the game as much as possible, maybe relying on gmods a little at first.