rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Doctor Pulaski is really concerned for the crew member in agony. No wonder she got replaced again.

Note: she was only ever doing one season as McFadden was on Maternity leave and Pulaski was always credited as a guest. Next time McFadden was pregnant she didn't take time off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Note: she was only ever doing one season as McFadden was on Maternity leave and Pulaski was always credited as a guest. Next time McFadden was pregnant she didn't take time off.

Actually, McFadden was sacked. :) Pulaski didn't work as well as was hoped, and there was a groundswell of opinion that wanted McFadden back, so she was re-hired for Season 3. Pulaski was to be in the main credits, but the actress asked for the "Special Appearance By" credit instead.

Pulaski always made for a better Doctor but McFadden was a far better actress in my mind. Just a shame she never really got any decent episodes based around her. I think I read somewhere that she often complained this was the case in the last couple of seasons. Then again when you are the mother of the devil that was Wesley Crusher I'd want to give that character and his family as screen time as possible. :lol:

Doctor Pulaski is really concerned for the crew member in agony. No wonder she got replaced again.

Pulaski was awesome. I remember in the early season 2 episodes she has trouble accepting Data. I remember she pronounced his name like "dahta" and called him "it". I just watched "Where Silence Has Lease" (the episode that the redshirt gif comes from) and she gives Data instruction to do some scans... when the scans reveal nothing she turns to Picard and goes, "It can accept simple instruction, can't it? I'm sorry, I'm not used to working with non-human things." Fucking badass.

I get the feeling Pulaski was supposed to be a bit more like a female Bones.

Did anyone actually like Data at that point? The first 2 seasons were a bit spotty at best, I know he became an icon in later years but during season 2's showing it was probably deserved :lol:.

Pulaski was awesome. I remember in the early season 2 episodes she has trouble accepting Data. I remember she pronounced his name like "dahta" and called him "it". I just watched "Where Silence Has Lease" (the episode that the redshirt gif comes from) and she gives Data instruction to do some scans... when the scans reveal nothing she turns to Picard and goes, "It can accept simple instruction, can't it? I'm sorry, I'm not used to working with non-human things." Fucking badass.

I get the feeling Pulaski was supposed to be a bit more like a female Bones.

She essentially is Bones though, isn't she? Just without the charm. She was also written to dislike using transporters.

Gates McFadden had a bit of a falling out with one of the senior writers, and just so happened to return to the show at the same time that he left. I've read a few differenttakes on what the reasons for their conflict were, but

Did anyone actually like Data at that point? The first 2 seasons were a bit spotty at best, I know he became an icon in later years but during season 2's showing it was probably deserved :lol:.

People didn't like Data?

She essentially is Bones though, isn't she? Just without the charm. She was also written to dislike using transporters.

Gates McFadden had a bit of a falling out with one of the senior writers, and just so happened to return to the show at the same time that he left. I've read a few differenttakes on what the reasons for their conflict were, but

Ooooh, I'll be watching this interview in full! :) Will be interesting to get Berman's take on things. I'm expecting it all to get a bit delusional when he discusses stuff post-DS9!

It's crazy how, given the lack of work post-Trek a lot of the actors get, we never really get to see them change, so it always comes as a shock when they show up for convention pictures and the like.

Kes, for example (sat next to Harry Kim here at last years Trek convention), highlights this for me more than anything:

post-432-059446000 1325965058_thumb.jpg

I guess as a Trek actor, you're pretty much guaranteed to be a millionaire and can do the convention circuit for the rest of your life and make a great living out of it, but I guess the downside is the lack of work you'll get afterwards.

It's crazy how, given the lack of work post-Trek a lot of the actors get, we never really get to see them change, so it always comes as a shock when they show up for convention pictures and the like.

Kes, for example (sat next to Harry Kim here at last years Trek convention), highlights this for me more than anything:

post-432-059446000 1325965058_thumb.jpg

I guess as a Trek actor, you're pretty much guaranteed to be a millionaire and can do the convention circuit for the rest of your life and make a great living out of it, but I guess the downside is the lack of work you'll get afterwards.

jeebus :o

No wonder she's glaring at him. The producers were all ready to fire Garrett Wang from Voyager as apparently he was massive pothead and constantly turned up late and stoned out of his gourd. Then he somehow got voted in People Magazine's 50 Sexiest People article that year and they decided to keep him in because they took it as a sign he was popular and liked the publicity it was bringing in. So they wrote Kes out of the series instead.

No wonder she's glaring at him. The producers were all ready to fire Garrett Wang from Voyager as apparently he was massive pothead and constantly turned up late and stoned out of his gourd. Then he somehow got voted in People Magazine's 50 Sexiest People article and they decided to keep him in because of the publicity it was bringing in. So they wrote Kes out of the series instead.

Yeah, Kes was a better character once free from Neelix, and the whole Paris love triangle thing was quite interesting (in a soap opera way). Odd choice to get rid of really, and all told she did have some quite good stories. Voyager wouldn't have missed Harry Kim, that's for sure.

It was quite light and self-contained, which appeals to her. I suspect our other halves differ, Graham, because I doubt I could get her into The Wire. I would never inflict "Q Who" on her, despite it being important to the series as a whole. I don't think it's sexist to state that most women don't care about the Borg.

Try one of the later episodes before you jack it in, Graham. Maybe Timescape or Parallels for a mind-bender. Yesterday's Enterprise is another time-travel one, and is one of the best episodes, so you could go for broke and just watch that. It's season 3, though.

If that's the one I think it is, then watching it with someone "uninitiated" would be an absolute nightmare.

What's happened?

But it all looks diifferent...

Why is Whoopi acting so strange? So she's an alien? What's going on there?

Who's that? She wasn't in the previous episodes... But if she's dead then why is she here?

Enterprise C? So there are two Enterprises?

etc.

Are Picard and the Doctor fucking?

A bit about this:

Their characters are very close. Picard was friends with her and her late husband years before the series starts; Picard was the one who brought his body home to Beverly when he died. Ever since, they've had a special relationship, though it doesn't go beyond them being very close friends. The impression is that they probably would become involved in other circumstances, but they both feel constricted by the memory of the dead husband and are reluctant to do anything.

In All Good Things, Picard sees a version of the future where they have married and divorced, but the episode (and the following movies) make clear that this version of the future will never actually happen, so it's unclear if their relationship ever goes further.

People didn't like Data?

Some characters in the show don't like Data. Pulaski doesn't, and is the most overt about it, but various characters in different episodes either dislike him or don't understand him. It's because despite being in the far future, Data is practically unique (and actually quite famous in Starfleet - every doctor and engineer knows who he is; Bashir is really excited to meet him in the DS9 crossover episode) - previous attempts to create androids of anything but rudimentary intelligence have always failed. Plus, Starfleet has a bit of a complex about creating "superhumans" due to various things in the saga; Khan, the eugenics wars, Lore, The Borg, etc.

Yeah, Kes was a better character once free from Neelix, and the whole Paris love triangle thing was quite interesting (in a soap opera way). Odd choice to get rid of really, and all told she did have some quite good stories. Voyager wouldn't have missed Harry Kim, that's for sure.

I actually think one of the problems Voyager faced is well-realised in Harry Kim, namely that the characters just did not grow over the series in the way they should have done. Excluding the final episode, Janeway, Paris, Kim, Chakotay (once the first few eps are out of the way)... Apart from a few wild deviations in some episodes, their characters definitely don't mature like DS9's do. It makes the characters difficult to relate to when you know the series is supposed to happen over, what, 7 years?

Conversely, Kes, Seven of Nine, The Doctor and to a lesser extent Neelix are in a constant state of change throughout their entire run of the series. It's jarring.

People often quote the episode Year of Hell - and rightly so, because it pushes the crew to absolute breaking point and sees them finally start to unravel. In Endgame, the final episode of Voyager,

Future Janeway talks about how Voyager conventionally gets back to Starfleet. Chakotay and Seven fall in love, Seven is killed, Chakotay becomes an angry shell of a man. Tuvok is driven to madness by a terrible disease. Many of the crew are killed as Voyager has to contend with a malevolent civilisation, and due to all these events, Janeway finally cracks and hatches a plan to screw the rules, screw Starfleet and screw her morals and just do anything and everything within her power to get Voyager home.

The "unseen" series in the above spoiler is what Voyager should have been like.

>> Janeway should have been weighed down by relentless disasters, eventually having to bend the rules to succeed.

>> Chakotay should have become tired with Starfleet's rules and regulations holding them back, losing members of the crew, and should have started to bicker more with Janeway.

>> Harry Kim should have become bitter and angry that he has to spend the prime of his life always in danger.

>> Paris should have made the road to redemption in the way a scoundrel should - not by becoming an exemplary member of Starfleet but rather by being the lovable rogue.

>> Torres should have learned the true meaning of Christmas (yeah, I don't know what she should have done, been too long since I watched Voyager)

I just feel at the end of the series (again, before Endgame) Harry Kim and Janeway for example are still exactly who they were in the very first episode.

Hope I'm not way off the mark with this. My memory of the series isn't great, on reflection - but I remember how the TNG and DS9 characters evolve, so I'm assuming if I can't remember much about Voyager then that means they don't.

• Upvote 2

TNG is on CBS Action now. It's horribly cropped and warped to fit widescreen. I'm really glad the blu-rays are going to be 4:3.

The one just starting now has Troi's mother in.

If that's the one I think it is, then watching it with someone "uninitiated" would be an absolute nightmare.

What's happened?

But it all looks diifferent...

Why is Whoopi acting so strange? So she's an alien? What's going on there?

Who's that? She wasn't in the previous episodes... But if she's dead then why is she here?

Enterprise C? So there are two Enterprises?

etc.

You'll be glad to know that it's all blinking obvious to the unitiated. Watching episodes of Star Trek is much easier than you guys give it credit for. In fact, one of the strengths of Yesterday's Enterprise is that it just gets on with it, puts you right in the story, and doesn't get bogged down with tedious explanations. The only thing I didnt realise was that the security officer who replaced Worf was a character from S1, but that didn't make a difference as her role in this story was complete in itself. I was also briefly puzzled as to why the Enterprise C going from past->.future would change history. Normally it's something going the other way that does that (of course, it's the ship's absence that shifts the timelines.)

This was a good episode. The pace was good. I liked the more militaristic tone of this timeline, it reminded me of BSG. I think I like that tiimeline better than the regular one.

For a while I was struggling to care about the security officer and her new love, as I didn't much care for the actors and it was all a bit obvious, but by the end it was a strong enough story and important enough to the episode to win me over.

Best one yet, I think. I'll watch more if they can keep to this standard.

• Upvote 1

You'll be glad to know that it's all blinking obvious to the unitiated. Watching episodes of Star Trek is much easier than you guys give it credit for.

That's good to hear in that case. Admittedly, it's been years since I've seen it, so all I remember about it is that it's one of the more "out there" episodes in terms of what it does (what with the redressed sets, timeline changing plot, re-introduction of Tasha Yar, first rumblings of what Guinan is all about etc).

You'll be glad to know that it's all blinking obvious to the unitiated. Watching episodes of Star Trek is much easier than you guys give it credit for. In fact, one of the strengths of Yesterday's Enterprise is that it just gets on with it, puts you right in the story, and doesn't get bogged down with tedious explanations. The only thing I didnt realise was that the security officer who replaced Worf was a character from S1, but that didn't make a difference as her role in this story was complete in itself. I was also briefly puzzled as to why the Enterprise C going from past->.future would change history. Normally it's something going the other way that does that (of course, it's the ship's absence that shifts the timelines.)

This was a good episode. The pace was good. I liked the more militaristic tone of this timeline, it reminded me of BSG. I think I like that tiimeline better than the regular one.

For a while I was struggling to care about the security officer and her new love, as I didn't much care for the actors and it was all a bit obvious, but by the end it was a strong enough story and important enough to the episode to win me over.

Best one yet, I think. I'll watch more if they can keep to this standard.

Great news! I'm really enjoying these reviews. I feel like I'm enjoying the episodes all over again, albeit vicariously. I want to watch Yesterday's Enterprise again myself - it really is a belter. I had no idea who Tasha Yar was when I first saw it, but it didn't matter. I also didn't notice the warpy type effect and the change of uniform when the timeline shifts, so it took me a while to work out what was going on. Still loved it.

Are you ready for a two-parter? You might as well watch The Best Of Both Worlds now that you've seen Q Who. For added authenticity leave six months between watching part 1 and part 2. If you do watch that one, you probably ought to watch the episode immediately following it (Family). Utterly different in tone, but it was a rare thing during the episodic TV of the era in that it took the time to acknowledge the serious shit that had just gone down and its effect on the characters. Doesn't have any action in it, though.

The experiment was a total disaster. She actually fell into a proper deep sleep within about 10 minutes, so I rinsed 3 episodes in 1 session doing my best not to disturb her. Probably for the best. I don't want to share -_-

:lol:

You put on Farpoint, didn't you?

Doesn't have any action in it, though.

The two brothers fighting is action enough :lol: the effect on Picard was astounding TV back then. It's a shame they never really went back and addressed just carried on as normal after these three.