The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

On 14/01/2022 at 17:26, Benny said:

It's like a nice pair of trousers that you can pull out of the drawer and know with 100% certainty that this day will be spent in comfort.

SO MUCH THIS.

There were times when I'd be away travelling with work, maybe had a few drinks on a night out even (which usually makes me all hangxiety as soon as I'm calling it a night), and I put WOTW on and I go to sleep content.

There's been rumours of "They're going to do a Starfleet Academy show" since...maybe when TNG ended? Now they've got one in early development for real. I was never really taken with the idea of an Academy show.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

There's been rumours of "They're going to do a Starfleet Academy show" since...maybe when TNG ended? Now they've got one in early development for real. I was never really taken with the idea of an Academy show.

It has been mentioned in the past few days as a possibility but you have thought a TNG era anthology show would be a no brainer. A huge cast of characters to choose from and you wouldn't need any actors to commit to multiple seasons. 

I guess anthology shows are in general more expensive than just building a set, hiring a few actors and then just writing stories for those actors and sets every week. 

12 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Hey! I’m up to episode 19 of season 4 I think. Not had much time to watch, lately. Few dull episodes - not bad, per se, but not interesting, such as the Quark bar strike episode. 

I liked that one. If nothing else it featured Rom quoting Karl Marx, which was something.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Me neither. I was pleased back in 2001 when the fifth series was revealed to be a prequel rather than an academy series. Although we know how creatively stale that was when it arrived…

(Star Trek VI was going to be an academy based prequel film, before the old cast were lured back, apparently. The known concept art shows a remarkably NX-01 style Enterprise which was going to feature. I think some other ideas of it were recycled into the 2009 film.)