IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

On 02/12/2021 at 16:47, Garwoofoo said:

I am looking forward to seeing what @Doctor Shark makes of Move Along Home. It must be up very soon. 

On 02/12/2021 at 16:50, b00dles said:
  Hide contents

Alla-marain!

On 02/12/2021 at 22:13, Thor said:

Yep! That's a must-see episode! :D

On 02/12/2021 at 23:10, Waggo said:

Not exactly DS9's finest hour. 🤣

Isn't Ronald D Moore on record as saying that everyone involved must have been coked out of their minds, or words to that effect in order to come up with that episode?

On 03/12/2021 at 08:30, Lorfarius said:

Spoiler that quick!! He needs to appreciate it all by himself.

I'm 20 mins into this episode and if I ever hear 'ALLA-MARAIN' ever again I'll go insane.

You have bottomed out. 

Even though there is still plenty of dross to come in season 1 there is nothing quite so bad.  Then as you get towards the end of the season you will hit an absolute classic episode, that appears on any top 10 or even top 5 essential episodes list you care to look up. 

That sets the tone for where the show goes from there, with season 2 being a marked improvement and from there it only gets better.

Talking of sex pests I was watching the documentary ‘What We Left Behind’ over the weekend, and you don’t have to read between the lines too much regarding Nana Visitors (Kira’s) opinion of Marc Alaimo (Gul Dukat).

You can tell it came out pre #Me Too as well, as he basically is proud of it, while many of the rest of the cast openly admit to being aware it was going on.:unsure:

13 hours ago, Waggo said:

You have bottomed out.

I kind of disagree - Move Along Home is obviously complete drivel but it's at least memorable and unintenionally hilarious. I did a list of what I thought were the ten worst episodes of DS9 immediately after my full series runthrough a few years back and, looking back at it now, it didn't even make the list.

The worst episode of S1 is The Passenger.

34 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yea, Bashir trying to do evil voice really, really, really didn’t work. 

I was convinced there was going to be another twist when I saw that one again recently, it's so obvious I thought that couldn't be it.

16 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Right, so remember I said I'd watched 9 episodes of DS9 years ago on Netflix and not continued?

Well, guess what the 9th episode is...

Reveal hidden contents

BlueDistantDutchsmoushond-max-1mb.gif

I did similar with Enterprise. The first four episodes are iffy at best, with the fourth being a proper duffer and I stopped. Went back to it a long while later and now I love enterprise. It's been a long road, getting from there to here. ;) 

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I kind of disagree - Move Along Home is obviously complete drivel but it's at least memorable and unintenionally hilarious. I did a list of what I thought were the ten worst episodes of DS9 immediately after my full series runthrough a few years back and, looking back at it now, it didn't even make the list.

Yeah it is definitely memorable even if not for the right reasons, where as I absolutely have no recollection of ‘The Passenger’ despite being a DS9 fan.  

A quick scan through IMDB episode guide gives ‘Move Along Home’ with a score of 5.9 the lowest score of any episode over the first 2 seasons which was all I checked.

‘The Passenger’ meanwhile gets a 6.4, but yeah I take your point on board, as I still don’t remember anything about it despite reading the plot synopsis!!!!

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

My........

Name.......

Is...........

Rao......

Vantika...

(Audience has fallen asleep)

It's really quite amazing how many great supporting characters there are in this and that's only at this stage before the dominion kick in. What we left behind really nailed that part, it's a great ensemble really. 

I even liked 'for some reason jake' second time around, he grows up much more interestingly than Wesley ever did (or was written to).

Ok, so overall I’ve enjoyed the season, even if it’s made it difficult. The good characters (Odo, Quark, O’Brien) make up for the bad ones (Bashir, Dax who is rather pointless so far, Quark’s brother).

It’s very much a series finding it’s feet whilst trying to do something new and different, which I can appreciate.

I really love the premise of it being this backwater station in the middle of nowhere suddenly thrown into the limelight due to the appearance of the wormhole. I hope they lean into this more. I like some of the dynamics between characters - Sisko and Kira at odds but maybe not enough conflict, after the first few episodes she seemed only too happy to let him boss her about - I’m not saying they should be arguing all the time but maybe a little more strife wouldn’t go amiss.  

There’s a good number of properly duff episodes but also some really good ones. 

I’m invested enough that I’ll continue, regardless. Keen to see where it goes from here. 

9 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ok, so overall I’ve enjoyed the season, even if it’s made it difficult. The good characters (Odo, Quark, O’Brien) make up for the bad ones (Bashir, Dax who is rather pointless so far, Quark’s brother).

It’s very much a series finding it’s feet whilst trying to do something new and different, which I can appreciate.

I really love the premise of it being this backwater station in the middle of nowhere suddenly thrown into the limelight due to the appearance of the wormhole. I hope they lean into this more. I like some of the dynamics between characters - Sisko and Kira at odds but maybe not enough conflict, after the first few episodes she seemed only too happy to let him boss her about - I’m not saying they should be arguing all the time but maybe a little more strife wouldn’t go amiss.  

I’m invested enough that I’ll continue, regardless. Keen to see where it goes from here. 

Be interesting to compare this post each time you finish a season!

I’ve been doing a rewatch of sorts and it really gets interesting seeing where it goes. 

Also can the forumites who have seen it try to keep spoilers hidden for awhile for Doctor Shark?

14 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

You ain't seen nothing yet. I'm truly jealous that you've never watched the show before.