IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

https://www.gog.com/partner/startrek

Not sure where else to put this for. GOG have put a load of old Star Trek games up - Bridge Commander, Starfleet Command III, Hidden Evil and Away Team all for £8.39 each. Both Armada and Armada II are listed as coming soon as well.

Some really gems in there

I've never played a Star Trek game. What's the best?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Festoon said:

The Trek I like isn't sassy quips and meta-references. I've no problem with it existing but it's not for me.

Simple as that.

There's nothing out there for a Trek fan who liked TNG or DS9.

Hopefully Strange New Worlds will scratch that itch. 

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

The Trek I like isn't sassy quips and meta-references. I've no problem with it existing but it's not for me.

Simple as that.

There's nothing out there for a Trek fan who liked TNG or DS9.

Without sounding like a broken record, The Orville. 

Incidentally the latest Pilot TV podcast has Sophie Petzal (writer of the series Blood) obstensibly to talk about her new show, but she basically spends over an hour talking about Star Trek and she really manages to nail what feels off about the modern series. i.e. they're written as YA, as opposed to for adults. 

She also has good points about the clumsy setting of present day issues as contemporaneous with the future - which is dumb and assumes the audience is dumb, and some good stuff on a supposedly ranked organisation where everyobe does whatever the fuck they want at all times.

Only just read the ‘lit verse’ - basically 20 years of post show books with its own continuity etc I’d coming to an end. 

Writing on the wall I suppose when Picard made ‘on screen canon’ the post series universe. 

It’s getting a final trilogy to close off rather than just being canned like the Star Wars EU

49 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Only just read the ‘lit verse’ - basically 20 years of post show books with its own continuity etc I’d coming to an end. 

Writing on the wall I suppose when Picard made ‘on screen canon’ the post series universe. 

It’s getting a final trilogy to close off rather than just being canned like the Star Wars EU

Part 1 out now and it’s ok.

Which begs the question why you're watching it then. Unless you haven't actually watched it of course, and thus would have no idea of the context or beat of a joke in something you hadn't actually seen.

I can criticise a lot about Lower Decks, but I will stand behind all of it so far above anything like Discovery or Picard, as it actually has half decent writers.

And I've actually watched them.

People sometimes forget things like Deep Space 9 were actually often full of quips and references to earlier Trek, just at that slower more 90s pace. But as it wasn't a comedy in genre it was in-universe jokes or situational comedy rather than meta humour.

Trials and Tribble-ations was one long and brilliant in-joke.

I'm a Star Trek fan and I like it. It's not must see TV or anything, but I look forward to it every week. The "shit jokes and HEY, 'MEMBER THIS?" stuff can be quite clever at times, poking fun at some of the more absurd bits of Trek canon and not usually going for simple references, but even then there's clearly more to the show than jokes. It has actual, likeable characters with proper development, and, shock horror, proper Star Trek stories.

2 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I'm a Star Trek fan and I like it. It's not must see TV or anything, but I look forward to it every week. The "shit jokes and HEY, 'MEMBER THIS?" stuff can be quite clever at times, poking fun at some of the more absurd bits of Trek canon and not usually going for simple references, but even then there's clearly more to the show than jokes. It has actual, likeable characters with proper development, and, shock horror, proper Star Trek stories.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Sadly I thought all the characters were really irritating, didn't warm to any of them. The writers have clearly done their trek research but it feels like an easy parody rather than Trek to me. There's the bare bones of something decent there but I can't get past the fact it constantly drags up past glories rather than creating anything new and exciting. Sure all 'proper' trek had those 'member berries slung in every now and then but in lower decks they're so on the nose. It's a no from me.

I can very much understand why someone would hate it - it's a very specific brand of humour and occasionally the memberberries have threatened to reach warp core breaching critical mass, but I'm happy at least that the writers do understand classic Star Trek unlike any of the people involved in Discovery. It's definitely an acquired taste though, as some episodes haven't raised much more than a chuckle at times. So it's not beyond criticism at all. Well, for those who have watched it...

Watching TNG on Netflix. It’s been so long since I’ve seen it I’ve forgotten a lot. It’s quite funny seeing stuff I’m now familiar with thanks to Lower Decks appearing. Borg babies in drawers! Pakleds! 

Speaking of Pakleds, how did a civilisation so dumb achieve interstellar flight?!? Or as Data literally just said after I’d hit post “How they ever mastered the rudiments of space travel is a genuine curiosity” :lol: