IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

The issue I have with TNG movies was they always found some implausible way to shoehorn Worf back into the cast & then gave him sweet FA to do anyway once he was back onboard.  

Like in 'First Contact' how the realistic is it that a Captain is just going to abandon his heavily battle damaged ship with god knows how many casualties, to go on a little jaunt with his old crewmates?

I did like Insurrection though and felt it got a bit of bad press as it was the follow up to First Contact.  Nemesis was just pure shite though,  and was lucky not to kill off Star Trek full stop.

• 2 weeks later...

ooh, I didn't know rllmuk had a massive ST thread.

On 17/06/2021 at 10:39, Garwoofoo said:

Is there a good "essential episodes" list out there for the first couple of seasons of TNG?

No one has mentioned Conspiracy, so I will. One of the first episode of TNG that I saw, and it basically hooked me on the entire concept of Star Trek for the rest of my life. So, so, so good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

I'm currently going through TOS for the first time, up to S3, and once you get over the 1960s effects and lighting, it's actually very good. Some episodes are fantastic. However, I watched Spectre of a Gun last night and it was godawful. I hate cheap TV Westerns, and this was the cheapest I've seen, done all on-set. Spock's Brain was better. Actually, I quite like Spock's Brain. A lot of people say it's the worst TOS episode, but actually, conceptually, it's interesting:

Aliens require a CPU to power their planetary computer, so steal an organic brain to use, and Spock's body has to be kept alive through life support while the crew battle to retrieve it. When they do they face the dilemma that their medical technology is not sufficient to re-implant it.

It's actually quite a frightening concept. I can imagine Cronenburg making quite the body horror film from such an idea. OK, the execution is off, but the concept is solid. Spock's Brain is a great episode if you look past the execution and focus on the ideas.

Film4 are near the end of a Star Trek film marathon that started yesterday.

currently on the dish in first contact. Looks great in HD. 

Film4 not showing Nemesis.

Paramount are showing Nemesis, right now. 

I keep watching random episodes of DS9 on Netflix lately, it's my evening comfort food along with my actual food. Classic Trek is just such good television even in average episodes. I just watched "Explorers" today - not the most action packed episode or anything, and the Bashir subplot (like a lot of Bashir subplots) is completely pointless, but... Sisko has his beard, and the whole idea of him getting super excited to try building and sailing an ancient Bajoran vessel to prove it would have been space worthy just for the hell of it is such a wonderful, human and life affirming idea. It's the essence of Star Trek.

I also really like the subtle politics involved with the Cardasians:

Spoiler

It's implied with Dukat in the ending that the Cardasians always knew about the ancient Bajoran vessel and had evidence already with a historic crash site, but had not made it public knowledge as it would have been an embarrassment. So they were forced into getting ahead of Sisko, after he forces their hand by proving the voyage was feasible, and they try to spin it as a great discovery made by their scientists as well.

Dukat is such a good character and Marc Alaimo is fantastic. 

I only noticed that he's one of the first Romulans you meet in TNG in that first series episode with the early hint of the borg in. 

He's then also the first Cardassian you meet when they've got those strange headpieces on that look a bit like butchered cycle helmets. 

On 03/07/2021 at 19:05, SeanR said:

Film4 are near the end of a Star Trek film marathon that started yesterday.

currently on the dish in first contact. Looks great in HD. 

Film4 not showing Nemesis.

Paramount are showing Nemesis, right now. 

Thanks for this, took the chance to watch Undiscovered Country for the first time in years. What a ridiculously good film. Other things I love are the interior aesthetic of the Enterprise, how everything feels a bit more like a submarine film in the dramatic search of the ship, and the whole crew listening to the open comms, and also how the Klingons aren’t so implausibly warriorlike as they are in TNG/DS9. 

On 05/07/2021 at 13:43, GwiDan said:

Thanks for this, took the chance to watch Undiscovered Country for the first time in years. What a ridiculously good film. Other things I love are the interior aesthetic of the Enterprise, how everything feels a bit more like a submarine film in the dramatic search of the ship, and the whole crew listening to the open comms, and also how the Klingons aren’t so implausibly warriorlike as they are in TNG/DS9. 

The Undiscovered Country is a fantastic film of it's time, in that it is a very thinly veiled exploration of the collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War.  The Soviets Klingons are basically bankrupt due to excessive millitary expenditure when an industrial disaster at Chernobyl Praxis tips them over the edge and into seeking to reset their relations with the West Federation.  The old guard don't accept the change and attempt a coup etc etc.

Christopher Plummer is brilliant as Chang.  I last watched it a few months back to commemorate his death.

I actually watched Total Recall (1990) for the first time last night because I discovered it had Marc “Gul Dukat” Alaimo and Robert Picardo as cast members. Well, and also I remembered the mediocre Ocean licensed game. I was pleased to discover that it was a deconstructive stealth parody of mindless action films, in the style of Robocop (1987) by the same director, and also Predator (1987).

I have also recently watched Dirty Harry and Cobra (1986), because they both star Andy “Garak” Robinson. I was surprised that Cobra seemed to be an unofficial coked-off-his-face Stallone ‘80s remake of Dirty Harry, with some elements of its sequel. Both are horrendously problematic films when watching with modern eyes. Cobra much more so, as at least Dirty Harry has some artistic merit, and arguably has traces of genre deconstruction, if you’re being generous.

8 hours ago, revlob said:

You've not seen Total Recall before?! Next you'll be telling us you haven't seen True Lies.

I have, but a long time ago. Possibly as far back as whenever it was first shown on terrestrial TV, and only then. I’d watch it again, but doesn’t seem to be on any of the streaming platforms.

Just watched "The Way of the Warrior" two parter again. So much great dialogue and brilliant moments all the way through it and it really starts season 4 with a bang. An absolute classic.

I also can't get over how good the fight scene at the end actually is: it's scrappy, sloppy but brutal, with people getting stabbed and getting tired, which is really how you'd expect people of random ability fighting to actually be. It feels so, so much more believable than the insanely stupid glossy martial arts sequences in Discovery or even other modern actually good shows. I wonder if ultimately The Matrix was to blame for TV shows getting obsessed with Dance Fu.

I mean in the episode the Klingons, rightly, really do look like they're trying to just fucking shiv you.

On 04/07/2021 at 21:28, Welrain said:

Just watching Wrath of Khan. Ricardo Montalban as Khan is absolutely amazing when first encountered..makes me dislike the "modern interpretation" even more.  

I think Wrath is about as perfect as any Star Trek film could ever be, and definitely one of the best adventure movies ever made. Why they decided to do some weird pseudo-reboot with loads of odd 9/11 analogies I dunno.

Not an ounce of fat on it.

I was really dissapointed in the 'Kelvin-verse' as I thought the set up was pretty good (horrible Enterprise design aside).

By the second film they should have been off on their 5 year mission.
I thought it would have been good if they'd revisited some of the TV show plots and then had them pan out differently. Imagine if they'd revisited 'Where no Man Has Gone Before' but it was Kirk or Spock who developed the psychic powers (and subsequently had to be killed) rather than Gary whatsisface. That would have really shaken things up.

15 minutes ago, JamesC said:

I was really dissapointed in the 'Kelvin-verse' as I thought the set up was pretty good (horrible Enterprise design aside).

By the second film they should have been off on their 5 year mission.
I thought it would have been good if they'd revisited some of the TV show plots and then had them pan out differently. Imagine if they'd revisited 'Where no Man Has Gone Before' but it was Kirk or Spock who developed the psychic powers (and subsequently had to be killed) rather than Gary whatsisface. That would have really shaken things up.

What pissed me off was the moping about Kirk did on the way out to Yorktown starbase.   Um not exactly the final frontier if there’s a state of the art starbase there with millions of people on it is it?

55 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

What pissed me off was the moping about Kirk did on the way out to Yorktown starbase.   Um not exactly the final frontier if there’s a state of the art starbase there with millions of people on it is it?

Wasn't that shortly before the scene where McCoy started flying around in a small one-man fighter craft? Yet another example of modern Trek feeling nothing like Trek.