The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

On 10/11/2020 at 15:17, deKay said:

The images certainly are so no reason the videos aren't too.

For example, if you watch a lot of POC-led shows, it'll show you cover art for other shows but focus on the POC in those shows even if they're not the stars.

EDIT: https://netflixtechblog.com/artwork-personalization-c589f074ad76

So basically, it's showing you sexist and racist stuff if you're sexist and racist.

What does POC stand for?

Any board game geeks out there? This is supposed to be good. Don't know much about it but my board gaming pal had heard good things.

Has done sort of AI you can play against if you're a billy no mates like me, too 

https://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/wizkids-star-trek-alliance-dominion-war-campaign-p310446/s516657?cid=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content

A few years ago I was on the ferry from Larne to Stranraer. The captain spoke over the intercom to announce us arriving. As he finished he said his name and his surname was Kirk, so I can safely say that I have been on a ship with Captain Kirk.

Finished my selective DS9 rewatch today. For season 7 I watched the first two episodes up to where Sisko is back at DS9, then skipped all the filler and jumped to the Section 31 episode before Penumbra, then watched everything. I'd completely forgotten about Dumar's plotline, and rather enjoyed that. I recall being disappointed with how they wrapped up the Emissary side of the plot the first time I saw DS9, but I feel better about it now after seeing it a second time.

DS9 is an odd one for me, I still don't think it's the best example of Star Trek, because there's no fucking Trekking! There's no exploration. But on the flip side, I feel DS9 is Star Trek's best example of pure science fiction. :)

Also, after a second viewing I retract my comments about Avery Brooks being a poor actor. Sure, he struggles in the first season or two, but once the beard comes he's awesome, a Captain right up there with the best of them. I really grew to like Sisko on this rewatch. 

11 hours ago, mdn2 said:

You skipped 'Its Only A Paper Moon'? That's like, Top 10 DS9 right there. Nog was an amazing character.

"Severely depressed at his serious war wound, Nog retreats into Vic Fontaine's holosuite program while the singer tries to help him."

Skip. :coffee:

Don't forget, this is a rewatch, so I have seen these before.

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

"Severely depressed at his serious war wound, Nog retreats into Vic Fontaine's holosuite program while the singer tries to help him."

Skip. :coffee:

Don't forget, this is a rewatch, so I have seen these before.

Oh man. You've just gone down in my estimation a bit there, Thor. 

Shakes head

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

The next episode on my TNG rewatch is Sub Rosa. It's one of the episodes I think I've blanked from my memory, although I obviously know it's reputation. I'm kind of intrigued to see just how bad it is. 

Oh my sweet summer child...

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

The next episode on my TNG rewatch is Sub Rosa. It's one of the episodes I think I've blanked from my memory, although I obviously know it's reputation. I'm kind of intrigued to see just how bad it is. 

It's much worse than you think you remember.

I'm on a proper Trek bender at the moment. I'm listening to the Next Conversation podcast and trying to keep up with their weekly viewing schedule.

It's an episode of TNG season 6 every week plus the first series of both Voyager and Enterprise every other week (Or something like that) and its fun!

Can't wait until they start DS9.

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Maybe Mogster is the sexy forum ghost and we've all been duped by him for generations. 

8-)

I'm watching it tonight. I would have watched it sooner, but bizarrely my wife wants to watch it too to see if it really is that bad.

oh god it is though... boring and hilariously bad in equal measure. As for many Star Trek episodes that are worse? Sure if we are talking Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery Picard etc but TNG episodes that are worse? Only Code of Honor springs to mind.

My TNG rewatch has just passed Samaritan Snare later season 2... No selective watching here my rewatch started with Farpoint and I have watched every episode of S1 and S2 and I won't skip any :D

So far? I hadn't watched S1 or 2 for years and they aren't as bad as I remember at all. Yes there are some real stinkers like Code of Honor and Justice and The Child etc but there is some good stuff too. I wouldn't recommend anyone do what I am doing but barring a couple of episodes I prefer this to Discovery

Mind you next up is Up the Long Ladder (space oirish to the uninitiated) so my opinion could change