The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I do wonder how selective I'll be able to be with DS9. I actually considered skipping straight to a selective rewatch of Voyager, but I fancy DS9.

I did Voyager before this, and it was a pleasant surprise. There was much more that I’d totally forgotten and it was definitely better than the Trek hive mind would have you believe. 

16 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

I did Voyager before this, and it was a pleasant surprise. There was much more that I’d totally forgotten and it was definitely better than the Trek hive mind would have you believe. 

You're preaching to the choir - I really like Voyager. :)

2 hours ago, Thor said:

All Good Things ... it's so fucking good. :wub:

Now to start a selective rewatch of DS9.

Seriously, ignore anyone who suggests starting DS9 at the beginning of season 3 (or worse, season 4). You can easily skip half of, perhaps most of, season 1, but it ramps up quickly after season 2 starts. DS9 is much more than just than Way of the Warrior and the Dominion War.

Ach! I'd forgotten just how much I hate Sisko's acting. I know he gets better, especially with the beard, but in these early episodes he is fucking dire! Thing is, when he's not talking he's actually decent, you can read him, but then he opens his mouth and you get one of two modes:

Happy automaton, or

Angry automaton.

My absolute favourite episode of DS9 is ‘Necessary Evil’ and that was an early season 2 episode, so yes anybody saying to skip the first 2 or 3 seasons is talking bollocks.

The later seasons only work as well as they do because you are invested in the characters and what they are having to go through, and that investment comes from watching the earlier seasons.

Totally agree on Sisko’s acting though.  He was particularly bad when angry. Huffing and puffing all over the place.

1 hour ago, sir podger said:

rewatching DS9, the skip intro button on netflix has improved the show immensely 

FTFY. :coffee:

I'm really enjoying my selective rewatch of DS9, more than I thought I would actually. 

I’ve been watching the odd episode of Next Generation on The Horror Channel.  Tonight’s was really fun - Conundrum. 

After the crew's memories are mysteriously erased, the computer records indicate that the Federation is at war with the Lysians, and that the Enterprise has been ordered to attack their command center.

The intercour....erm...play between Ensign Ro and Riker is a particular highlight.

I watched "Eye of the Needle" on the weekend, a genuinely great gem of an episode in the first season of Voyager that I had completely forgot about.

Premise is the discovery of a tiny Wormhole, from which they attempt to communicate with a ship on the other side in the Alpha Quadrant. Great twist at the end as well.

15 hours ago, Welrain said:

I’ve been watching the odd episode of Next Generation on The Horror Channel.  

Surely The Horror Channel should just be endlessly rerunning Code of Honor, Angel One, Shades of Gray and Sub-Rosa.

7 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Surely The Horror Channel should just be endlessly rerunning Code of Honor, Angel One, Shades of Gray and Sub-Rosa.

And Profit & Lace.

On 24/09/2020 at 11:53, Waggo said:

So I bought the Star Trek Beyond UHD disc from CEX last weekend for 8 quid and decided to watch it last night.  

I can hand on heart say it is my favourite slice of Trek (movies or tv) since First Contact. It is just a damn fun and entertaining two hours, which is exactly what Trek should be.  Having just come off the back of a full rewatch of Enterprise over Lockdown, I also appreciated much more the numerous nods to that show on second viewing.

Oh and it looks stunning in UHD too.  Best 8 quid I have spent in years.:hat:

All 3 of the reboot films are bloody excellent and miles  better than the dreary TNG films 

35 minutes ago, sandman said:

Nah, First Contact is absolute garbage

Agree. It's overly-rated merely for being less-bad than the other TNG films,* but it's still not good. Most damningly, it started the rot of official Trek trying to be 'dark' and action-y and knowingly un-Trek, which ultimately has given us crap like Into Darkness, Discovery and Picard.

* although I'd honestly say Generations is better, for actually feeling like TNG. And I don't mean the sets and visuals, but the fact that characters trying to come to terms with changes in their lives as the main undercurrent to a baddie-of-the-week plot is very TNG. Shame they turned Data into a coked-up twat, though.  

On 18/10/2020 at 16:43, sir podger said:

rewatching enterprise, the skip intro button on netflix has improved the show immensely 

Part of the Road to Damascus experience when watching Enterprise is realising you actually like the theme tune.

6 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I like the theme tune.

Not as the main music of a trek series of course...

Not only did the 2 parter  mirror episode have a better theme tune someone on youtube uploaded a version with an orchestral version and guess which one was better?

On the TNG films, they always had a tv movie quality to them as opposed to the tos films which felt like films.

3 out of 12 from Discovery :facepalm:

Some truly bizarre choices there. Apart from Spock, none of the other 5 are the supporting characters I would have chosen. And one of the Captain's is a genocidal murderer. 

The additional stamps are no better:

A further six stamps, presented in a miniature sheet, feature characters from across Star Trek movies, all played by British actors: Montgomery Scott, Shinzon, Tolian Soran, Klingon Chancellor Gorkon, Carol Marcus, and Krall.

Shinzon?

picard-facepalm-face-palm.jpg

On 21/10/2020 at 20:44, sandman said:

All 3 of the reboot films are bloody excellent and miles  better than the dreary TNG films 

On 22/10/2020 at 14:11, sandman said:

Nah, First Contact is absolute garbage

Can we have negs and crying tears back.