The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Just rewatched All Good Things. The final scene got me AGAIN, as it always does. When Picard looks around the faces of the senior staff at the poker table, I welled up massively. Probs worse than the last time, cos this was the end of an entire rewatch of the series! First time I’ve watched all seasons in a row since they aired.

So I bought the Star Trek Beyond UHD disc from CEX last weekend for 8 quid and decided to watch it last night.  

I can hand on heart say it is my favourite slice of Trek (movies or tv) since First Contact. It is just a damn fun and entertaining two hours, which is exactly what Trek should be.  Having just come off the back of a full rewatch of Enterprise over Lockdown, I also appreciated much more the numerous nods to that show on second viewing.

Oh and it looks stunning in UHD too.  Best 8 quid I have spent in years.:hat:

I just watched the salamander episode. I actually remember it being much worse than this. The only think that really bugged me was they were down on the planet of the salamanders, then two seconds later they were back on the ship and everything was fine again. And then, iirc, there's no mention of warp 10 again, no more attempts, even though they were so close?

21 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

I just watched the salamander episode. I actually remember it being much worse than this. The only think that really bugged me was they were down on the planet of the salamanders, then two seconds later they were back on the ship and everything was fine again. And then, iirc, there's no mention of warp 10 again, no more attempts, even though they were so close?

I guess having sex with your commanding officer while a newt, may class as a traumatising enough experience to not fancy giving it another crack!!!!

15 hours ago, Benny said:

I like how Voyager's answer to "why does Harry Kim never get promoted from Ensign" is: look, because having him in command becomes a complete disaster.

Actually if getting promoted on a starship was basically deadmans boots why wasn't Kim promoted when Paris got demoted?

The allegory in the "Repentance" sub story,

Spoiler

where a convict of a racial minority (who is essentially a stand in for African Americans who make up a disproportionate number of people in the penal system) actually turns out to be a manipulative liar trying to get free is enormously disgusting. It's a good example of Voyager's "sometimes the flawed system is still right" conservative friendly both-sideism

On 27/09/2020 at 21:38, Mike1812 said:

Especially considering that, even if they couldn’t stop being salamandered, they’d learned how to reverse it. So they could just take the ship back to the alpha quadrant, via warp 10, and have the doctor turn the crew back to normal. Heck, it wouldn’t even be that difficult as the transformation wasn’t immediate so they could turn up on Starfleet’s doorstep and ask to be taken into immediate medical supervision, with the doctor briefing a more than adequate support crew on what was about to occur. 

The later episode that followed up on ‘slipstream drive’ showed that at least some of the writers were bothered by these tantalising solutions being dangled then never logically followed up on. 

Voyager is chock full of episodes that hint at potential that is never realised or never leads to any interesting character development, unlike in Deep Space 9 (which itself has a lot of wasted potential). A good example is in season 7 where Seven finally starts showing some character development that could change her forever when she starts experimenting in the holodeck with relationships and social pursuits with a fake crew, with some amazing moments for her character. But the strain it puts on her physically means she can never finally get that "Starfleet uniform" (something they could actually have shown her achieve later in a nice bit of payoff, but which never happens), so it makes the developments in the episode mostly meaningless as it's only shared with a fake cast and never results in any meaningful change for her afterwards. The series is full of this potential followed by massive big reset button writing that really drags it down. Most likely a Berman effect.

Voyager was aiming specifically at "action-led sci-fi" to bring in a young male audience. Hence Seven's costume, also. Berman also didn't like DS9's serial approach so I suspect he waved through the endless reset buttons on Voyager.

Voyager had a good cast and a great premise, and they squandered both. No wonder Robert Beltran was so dismissive of the show.

Voyager is probably my fav of the series though.

Probably because it’s the only one I watched as it aired consistently.

I used to drop in and drop out with TNG and very casual with DS9...that was the worse for me, very much a poor mans Babylon 5

On 01/10/2020 at 13:32, probotector said:

very casual with DS9...that was the worse for me, very much a poor mans Babylon 5

Jesus man.  You can’t come out with shit like that in the Trek thread.:quote:

Poor Tuvix. Janeway you murderous Bastard!

Although it was a cunty decision, it was also the 'safe' decision in terms of hitting the reset button. It would have been much more interesting to continue with Tuvix as part of the crew. 

So many missed opportunities. But I'm still enjoying it more than I thought I would. 

Just now, Vespa Alex said:

Im approaching the end of S4 now, and it’s getting less selective as the story builds. 

Yeah, I do wonder how selective I'll be able to be with DS9. I actually considered skipping straight to a selective rewatch of Voyager, but I fancy DS9.