The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

S3ep2 - bulgy cgi

So the gravity cgi effect from last week is resolved quickly - yay for "old" trek!

Turns out there are gravity effects and stuff that make newtonian laws go upside down in the expanse. Convenient for the plot writing guys but about as scientific as Dr Christmas Jones being Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist!

So we start with a "hey lassie what is it boy" moment and the answer is a book fell on the floor. But no wait weirrrd effects make food jump off plates and coffee freeze in mid air and Enterprise corridors bulge and twist like someone just learnt how to use the video equivalent of photoshop. This bad use of video FX makes the engines and stuff stop working - dead in space.

I know that CGI meant that modern trek could show way more fx that weren't possible on older trek.. but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. THe ship to ship stuff looks way worse than the model work and the cgi that cannot be done via models doesn't add masses. This series was the birth of affordable cgi that was just shit and it shows.

However WOOHOO it is a proper old Trek mystery/anomaly/what the fuck episode :D

PETE CETERA

Some towel snapping in the Enterprise changing room - why do we need this particular area? It seems a bit unnecessary. Are some of these people the military contingent as they are not mentioned at all in this episode otherwise.

The investigation of the dead ship was all very good stuff - nice atmosphere and good use of zero g :D It was alittle tight set wise in places but again budget!

THis all reminds me of a TNG episode that escapes my memory. Enterprise stranded engines dead due to anomaly but they investigate another ship in similar straits? Was it the one with the 2d dimension thing?

AAaaaaanyway - fucking PIRATES storm the vessel and kill a valuable engineer. I mean we never met them before but apparently they were the only ones who knew how to get free chocolate out of the food dispenser (or something , I forget its late ok!)

The pirates steal a load of stuff but the intrepid crew manage to capture one pirate. He tells Archer oooooh you wont dare torture me etc.

Texangineer can't sleep and can't spend an hr being fondled by Tpol so he is whinging to ummm whatisname securityhairman. Actually a good character scene.

BALL OF DOOM - its a Dyson SPHERE. Oh not it isn't- it is a mysterious massive sphere with cloaking etc but they don't care they just loot it find a Xindi ship and get revenge on the pirates. Bit of a waste of a decent mystery sphere there! However I wanted to mention the "pod" design, as opposed to shuttle craft it has a lovely claustrophic feel to it- nicely done.

Archer does sort of torture the pirate who gives up WAY too easily and people are SHOCKED that Sam-noAl cut off a mans oxygen for 40 seconds.

They go to a lot of effort to get the Xindi database (which apparently human universal translator can recognise as THREE symbols match Xindi language) and let the ship go in the end and the mystery sphere!

Oh and Trip is going to have the vulcan lady in a silk top rub him instead of having leeches on his body hahahaha. Actually I'm being unfair I did chuckle at that one!

Overall a nice mystery episode but I think the failings of Discovery and modern trek have beginnings here. Archer is grumpy all the time - I don't recall this so much from S1 and 2 he was brusque but here he is cantankerous. Also he is pushing to just get the job done - any thoughts of exploration are ignored. I understand the attack on Earth will have galvanised them but this feels a little too distant from classic Trek. For instance in TNG that sphere would be a THING in the episode. Here it was gawked at a bit then used as a backdrop for a space battle and shot. it feels a bit too whizz bang and chucking nice ideas away or using them as a pretty cgi backdrop.

I can see what they are trying to do and I am enjoying the episodes so far but you can just see them pushing away from old trek to new.

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

@Clipper... why have you mentioned Peter Cetera?

Because the shitty intro music reminds me of 80s softrock nonsense and , unfairly, I picked a name out of the hat and Pete Cetera came to mind.

So now I just use Pete Cetera as a shorthand for the intro.

In my ep1 rant I said this

Oh no - oh god no - oh fuck - I forgot aobut the fucking shit intro arrrrgghhhhh. Has it changed? did they make it worse it sound worse. It sounds like a Pete Cetera  b side from 1985 and that is with massive apologies to Pete Cetera!

Juvenile I know.

I remember liking "Living Witness", and it's often mentioned as one of the standout episodes of Voyager. But watching it now, it has some very problematic subtext in its handling of racial issues, which for me is indicative of the more conservative friendly political shift that took place in some later Trek writing which started to creep in in Voyager and Enterprise.

This blog I found actually sums up very well why I found the episode so uncomfortable:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/them0vieblog.com/2017/05/12/star-trek-voyager-living-witness-review/amp/

Although the EMH’s reconstruction suggests that the Vaskan Daleth murdered the Kyrian Tedran in cold blood, it also argues that the Kyrians were more brutal than the history books suggest. The EMH’s account of events portrays the Kyrians as aggressors, launching an unprovoked attack upon Voyager and taking hostages before forcing Janeway to intervene. Given the comparisons that Living Witness consciously invites to slavery, this is a deeply problematic reveal. It is akin to suggesting that African Americans were in someway responsible for slavery.

Indeed, Living Witness seems to suggest that Kyrian accounts of oppression and victimisation are exaggerated. The Kyrian arbitrator argues that this revision is irrelevant. “It doesn’t change the fact my children can’t attend the same academies as yours, or that we are forced to live outside of the city centre,” she states. Her Vaskan colleague shuts down that line of conversation almost immediately. “Today’s problems are not at issue here. This is about history.” There is a sense that Living Witness agrees with the Vaskan representative.

Just watched Genesis, the one where the Enterprise crew de-evolves. It’s completely ludicrous (and has some plot holes a mile wide even if you accept the silly science), but it’s great fun so I have a soft spot for it. 

Having finished Voyager I've moved on to DS9, and with both I'm doing an abbreviated selection rather than full seasons.

There are interesting signs of what's to come in the first couple of seasons, but it's S3 when it gets good, and then S4 just goes into overdrive with Way Of The Warrior.
The dialog for Worf in particular is just superb writing. I'm really looking forward to see how much I can remember and what I've forgotten.

"Bliss". Voyager discovers a wormhole that leads directly to earth. After they tell Seven of Nine she's all like, CHINNY RECKON. So she goes about her business but of course truly decides this must be all a ruse when

Spoiler

Neelix tells her Starfleet have made him an ambassador :lol:

Paris disobeys direct orders to try and save a spieces and gets busted to Ensign and a month in prison. Harry disobeys direct orders to get jiggy with some alien, and doesn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Clear favouritism.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Paris disobeys direct orders to try and save a spieces and gets busted to Ensign and a month in prison. Harry disobeys direct orders to get jiggy with some alien, and doesn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Clear favouritism.

His punishment is to spend his entire career as an ensign.

2 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

His punishment is to spend his entire career as an ensign.

Ever since the Nightingale episode, where he tried to be a Captain and bricked it, I think he’s probably ok with that. 

5 hours ago, Benny said:

Clear favouritism.

Wonder if that letter he wrote to dad ever got sent the minute they got back??

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

Ever since the Nightingale episode, where he tried to be a Captain and bricked it, I think he’s probably ok with that. 

Goo version acting Captain Harry was more competent than the real one.

On 10/09/2020 at 19:14, Benny said:

I remember liking "Living Witness", and it's often mentioned as one of the standout episodes of Voyager. But watching it now, it has some very problematic subtext in its handling of racial issues, which for me is indicative of the more conservative friendly political shift that took place in some later Trek writing which started to creep in in Voyager and Enterprise.

This blog I found actually sums up very well why I found the episode so uncomfortable:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/them0vieblog.com/2017/05/12/star-trek-voyager-living-witness-review/amp/

I always get confused between this episode and Distant Origins for some reason. I think the reptile people revive the Doctor who gets them to believe they are descended from Voyager crew but its nothing like that having read a synopsis!

God If I could muster up the enthusiasm to rewatch Voyager I would, my memory is so hazy on some of these episodes I havent seen in 20 years.

Last watch for me was the The Birthright two parter.

Enterprise docks at DS9, Data begins having dreams featuring his "father" and Worf goes on the search for his own father, only to find a planet full of half Klingons/Romulans, and then turns full on racist for a bit.

Voyager definitely started hitting its stride in the later seasons (Seven joining the crew onwards). The opening to "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy" is some gloriously fun silliness for example.