The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Based on the conversation above I decided to watch a couple of Seska episodes of Voyager last night, which is probably the first time I have seen early season Voyager in 20 years.

Still hold with my original view that having a Cardassian agent among the Maquis was an inspired idea, and they really should have kept her on board the ship as a regular cast member.  The Kazon were laughably bad and even worse than I remembered.  The lead Kazon actor literally looked like he was high he was hamming it up that much.

Altogether though I did enjoy the return to early Voyager.  May pick out a few more choice episodes to watch now I have finished Enterprise.  Can't see me doing a full rewatch  though as there really were some real dross episode in there.

14 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Based on the conversation above I decided to watch a couple of Seska episodes of Voyager last night, which is probably the first time I have seen early season Voyager in 20 years.

Still hold with my original view that having a Cardassian agent among the Maquis was an inspired idea, and they really should have kept her on board the ship as a regular cast member.  The Kazon were laughably bad even worse so than I remembered.  The lead Kazon actor literally looked like he was high he was hamming it up that much.

Altogether though I did enjoy the return to early Voyager.  May pick out a few more choice episodes to watch now I have finished Enterprise.  Can't see me doing a full rematch though as there really were some real dross episode in there.

Since I finished my full rewatch of all five series I've been using this random episode picker whenever I've had the urge to trek http://people.duke.edu/~noor/trek.html

Obviously if it comes out with Discovery I pick again, but otherwise I've found it a good system. Like the old days where you'd see a repeat on TV and tune in for an hour. Somehow it's more fun having the decision taken out of your hands. I even sat through Sub Rosa last night because you can't cheat the system.

3 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Was reading this old interview with Ron Moore about Voyager. He joined the show after DS9 wrapped (so he joined as they were prepping season 6) and he only lasted a couple of months as his experience was sooooo bad. He totally nails the problems with the show, and how the writing room wasn’t a good place to be: 

https://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118/

That is a good read and properly states the arguement I was trying to make that Voyager was a great idea but on the whole poorly executed.  

The most depressing aspect though is that in the 15/20 years or so he gave that interview Star Trek is arguably in an even worse place now than it was back then, to the extent we can look back on Voyager with fondness. 

2 hours ago, Nicky said:

the shit ones that have nothing to do with this thread, or star trek,  i assume

Yurp. Though tbf I should have said six as TAS was included in my rewatch.

And I have seen all of Disco and Picard, but they are not Star Trek shows, as you correctly point out.

Ron Moore wanted a gritty, more realistic take with Voyager, a crew at each others throats, a ship gradually falling apart at the seams and supplies running low. Its ironic that we got a view of how things maybe could have been with that Season 6 two parter featuring the smaller Federation ship all beat to hell with about 5 crew left, all a bit murderous in trying to get home. Instead we got 7 seasons of Neelix or episodes with Janeway playing in an awful stereotypical Irish holodeck programme. 

I know Battlestar went to shit towards the end but it was still far better than Voyager and it is far more rewatchable.

50 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Ron Moore wanted a gritty, more realistic take with Voyager, a crew at each others throats, a ship gradually falling apart at the seams and supplies running low. Its ironic that we got a view of how things maybe could have been with that Season 6 two parter featuring the smaller Federation ship all beat to hell with about 5 crew left, all a bit murderous in trying to get home. Instead we got 7 seasons of Neelix or episodes with Janeway playing in an awful stereotypical Irish holodeck programme. 

I know Battlestar went to shit towards the end but it was still far better than Voyager and it is far more rewatchable.

The problem was from their point of view it wasn't the right time. It wasn't until the likes of 24 that season long series became the norm where execs realised it was okay to break away from the weekly reset button format. DS9 was amazing but they had to fight tooth and nail to get that the way it was and it wasn't doing as good as they'd hoped. Even then it was only broken into smaller arcs rather than season long tales. They were also looking back at the TNG era which had been a cultural phenomenon even the President  of the US was excited by shows and the whole Trek franchise was swinging off the back of its success. Such a shame but it was just the time which thankfully we moved away from!

Watching "Prototype" on Voyager...

So frustrating when Janeway's usually very flexible treatment of the Prime Directive is held back when she can actually help other species.

I mean, the species was facing extinction, what did Janeway think was going to happen when they admitted they can help but won't.

It's tolerable because I like B'elanna.

I'm watching DS9 for the first time ever, bar maybe one or two episodes shown on the bbc during the 90s. Bit good init? I love the cosmopolitan feel of the promenade. And all the characters are enjoyable, there's no overly annoying bellendcentric episodes. It feels like any combination of the characters could go on an away mission through the wormhole somewhere and I'd glean enjoyment from whatever scenario they end up in the midst of. I'm towards the end of the second series, kinda buzzing I've got another 5 to go. 

35 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Oh man, you're about to reach the real good stuff soon.  

Yep, I'd love to be able to watch DS9 or Babylon 5 completely fresh, without the need to wait a week for each episode.

I've been doing a highlights of Voyager and while it's nice that I've forgotten a lot of it, there isn't the same impact.

I think you can buy every series to stream on Amazon Prime for a reasonable amount, if not especially cheap. The films would need to be purchased separately though, of which In the Beginning is probably the only essential one.

On 20/08/2020 at 20:02, SM47 said:

I'm watching DS9 for the first time ever, bar maybe one or two episodes shown on the bbc during the 90s. Bit good init? I love the cosmopolitan feel of the promenade. And all the characters are enjoyable, there's no overly annoying bellendcentric episodes. It feels like any combination of the characters could go on an away mission through the wormhole somewhere and I'd glean enjoyment from whatever scenario they end up in the midst of. I'm towards the end of the second series, kinda buzzing I've got another 5 to go. 

I watched DS9 from the start last year, being a big fan at the time, and to my relief it was at least as good as I remembered. It helped that I could appreciate many of the deeper themes of the series properly in my 30s, and, avoiding spoilers, there are some episodes later on which feel remarkably prescient and topical in the 21 years since the series ended. (Added bonus was that my girlfriend massively liked the series as well, even asking me recently if we could rewatch it at some point. I didn’t expect such a positive reaction, given that she really disliked the four or so episodes of TNG that I watched with her before with DS9.)

Neelix being action hero at the end, both straight up mercing a fool and then being unfased about it afterwards, made me laugh so hard I gobbed all over my TV.

Being watching quite a few episodes of various Treks over the past week or so & the HD restoration of TNG just puts it on a different viewing level to DS9 and Voyager even though it it the earlier show. 

You would think given how popular Trek is for Netflix that they could reach some agreement with Paramount to cough up towards restoring them both as well, as I am sure they would benefit from doing so in the long term.

Just watched the Two parter where the Enterprise is taken over by a shitheel (Jellico) and Picard is stripped naked by a Cardassian David Warner, great stuff.

I also love the fact that Jellico makes Troi wear a proper uniform for once and tells Riker he is a bad First Officer and puts him on gardening leave.

I've just reached exactly the same point in my run! :D

I'd forgotten that half of the first episode is basically a classic Doctor Who filler episode, where heroes walk through a cave for an episode facing the mild peril of falling rocks.