rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

I've just made it through to Episode 10 of the 3rd Season the Levar Burton directed one.

That opening was tense as hell and i have to admit this episode is a real hit you in the feels, kind of deal.

Stellar stuff. 

Season 3 of Enterprise really should have been what Voyager should have been, at least to a certain extent.  A longer arc of Voyager getting totally beating up and falling apart. I'm not saying it should necessarily have been the case for the entire series but they could have definitely got away with a year or 2 of Voyager not being a pristine starship straight out of space dock.  And when they'd had enough of beaten up Voyager, you could have an episode like Ent's Dead Stop which serves to return Voyager to normal.

Seeing Enterprise literally falling apart is interesting since we've never really seen it on a Trek before. As most people agree, Voyager had a fantastic premise which was never lived up to by the series that follows. 

• Upvote 2

Trying to slow down how quickly im going through this show but i already find myself at Episode 16 of Season 3 :(

Dr's Orders is just great Enterprise & Star Trek in general.

I could watch Phlox & Porthos do anything and find it entertaining. 

And with the previous episode i find myself more and more drawn to Malcolm and less to Trip, i just want Malcolm's dirty secret to come out whatever that may be. 

3 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Can't load the tweet, has it been deleted? What did it say?

• Upvote 2

On 10/05/2020 at 18:15, deKay said:

Just wait.

Christ you weren't kidding were you!

I didn't expect that Malcolm twist but certainly explains a few things about his personality and family ties.

Well that's Enterprise finished for me. 

Ups and downs but no-where near as bad as people made it out to be, and i thought the last episode was pretty good.

Where do i go from here? I've done all the new stuff, does Voyager stand up to the test of time?

Tbf if you enjoyed Discovery, Picard AND the last episode of Enterprise you'll probably be blown away by Voyager.

In all seriousness, I found the first 3 seasons of Voyager pretty hard going. Then as Trek does it got loads better for S4, 5 and 6 then tailed off for the last season.

2 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Well that's Enterprise finished for me. 

Ups and downs but no-where near as bad as people made it out to be, and i thought the last episode was pretty good.

Where do i go from here? I've done all the new stuff, does Voyager stand up to the test of time?

if you haven't seen Voyager, then … YES YES YES YES! I love Voyager. :D

Voyager is woeful guys. Do the honourable thing and point him towards a list of the best episodes!

• Upvote 1

I always thought S1 of Voyager wasn't half bad, they were really struggling and dealing with problems from episode to episode and it hinted at a really good premise. But they just dropped all that they'd set up with the Maqui crew switching solely to reset of the week. Shame.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I always thought S1 of Voyager wasn't half bad, they were really struggling and dealing with problems from episode to episode and it hinted at a really good premise. But they just dropped all that they'd set up with the Maqui crew switching solely to reset of the week. Shame.

Yeah, I was about to reply with the same assessment. In fact, my attempt at watching it all on netflix stalled hard into the end of season 2. 

Last season is pretty good. There is a confidence to it and they try to knock out a few strong episodes aiming at their strengths. The lows in that season are relatively very fucking low though. 

• Upvote 1

So I watched Star Trek: Nemesis tonight. And... I quite liked it?! At least it was nowhere near as bad as its reputation had led me to expect.

I mean, it's a decent Star Trek movie. It's got a good villain (an almost unrecognisable, just-out-of-nappies Tom Hardy), all the cast get a proper turn (Brent Spiner is outstanding as both B4 and Data), and it feels expansive and cinematic in a way that only First Contact has really managed for the TNG cast.

It's not perfect: a fair chunk of it feels like the cast have had a whip-round and bought Sir Patrick Stewart a Virgin Experience Day voucher where he gets to drive dune buggies and play Laser Tag, and I really could have done without the creepy Troi mind-rape scene; but on the whole I really enjoyed it and thought it was a good send-off for this crew. The last few scenes were especially touching. And Data gets a genuinely heroic send-off, which is nice.

It's certainly a hell of a lot better than the snooze-fest that was Insurrection, and probably better than Generations too. Why does everyone hate it so much?

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

I watched Nemesis after seeing on the net how it tied into Picard.

It was ok in that kind of sunday afternoon movie feel it had, and i have no desire to rush and watch it again. 

Generations will always be special to me as it was the only time my Mother ever asked go to the cinema to see a movie with me as she was so desperate to see it. I always remember being surprised that every seat in the cinema was taken in my head i expected it to be quite dead because it was in my head niche i suppose.

I really should generations again soon, as the book im reading at the moment has that feel to it although seems to be a cross over between TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY which is why i was asking if it was any good as i remember watching it but i have no memories of if it was any good or not :S

Insurrection is the underrated one imo.  Think it suffered because of the brilliance of First Contact, but it's my second favourite TNG film.  Generations is meh and Nemesis is pure wank, which is gutting really as I always enjoyed the Romulans as villains.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

At least It's certainly a hell of a lot better than the snooze-fest that was Insurrection, and probably better than Generations too. Why does everyone hate it so much?

Better than the flowery tedium of Insurrection? Now there’s a high bar! 

I think people hate it so much for a few reasons. One is that it was another Data and Picard focussed film. The rest of the crew seem to play perpetual second fiddle to those two in the TNG films, so it was disappointing to see that rolled out again.

B-4 only existed to give an out for Data’s death to future writers, similar to Spock’s ‘remember’ at the end of Wrath of Khan.

Shinzon’s motivations made no sense. He kills the Romulan senate, which is fair enough as some of them may well have been responsible for scrapping the cloning program and his subsequent fate. Then he tries to destroy Earth because he’s made at Picard for...what? Being the reason he was created? Why did we get that measured dinner scene, where he can see Picard is a reasonable, albeit cautious man, and there’s a high likelihood he would’ve just helped Shinzon if he’d asked? It’s nonsensical. As a lesser point, it presents a hilariously dumbed down idea  of cloning to the audience as well. Shinzon is bald because Picard is bald as an older man? Wtf. 

Then we have the action scenes. You will never convince me that the first brick for Nu-Trek was not laid with Nemesis, and it’s eagerness to embrace shooty-bang. The Scimitar makes no sense as a plot point. It’s far too big and destructive to have been assembled in secret, and uses advanced cloaking technology from...somewhere, I guess? All so there can be a huge fight involving multiple ships at the end of the film. 

Then there’s Data’s death. It was unearned for a character we’d known for so long. Not only that, it felt weightless because of the existence of B-4 and that ending. Also a clumsy copy of Spock’s sacrifice in Wrath of Khan (though certainly not as ham-fisted and garbled a copy as Into Darkness. Oh boy.) 

And lastly, it’s because this marked the end of the TNG films. If it had been followed up, and surpassed, by some new films, then fans wouldn’t be quite so sore. But it was the swan-song for TNG, and as such a mediocre conclusion that left a bad taste in the mouth. 

I actually have more problems with it, but these are just off the top of my head. ;) 

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I should probably watch Wrath of Khan one day. :)

It's good, but not quite the all conquering classic a lot of trek fans say it is. 

2 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

And lastly, it’s because this marked the end of the TNG films. If it had been followed up, and surpassed, by some new films, then fans wouldn’t be quite so sore. But it was the swan-song for TNG, and as such a mediocre conclusion that left a bad taste in the mouth. 

Nemesis was and still is awful.  It was quite literally a franchise killer, in that they had to completely reboot Trek to get things moving again!!!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I should probably watch Wrath of Khan one day. :)

Perfect lockdown film. Get it watched!!!!

4 hours ago, Thor said:

It's good, but not quite the all conquering classic a lot of trek fans say it is. 

Agreed. I'm currently doing a rewatch of all the films and just have insurrection and nemesis to go. So far my unofficial order is

Search for Spock

Wrath of Khan

First Contact

Undiscovered Country

The Motion Picture

Generations

Final Frontier

The Voyage Home

I'm expecting the last two will fit in somewhere below generations and above voyage home. The one with the whales gets a lot of love and I remember loving it as a child but it has not aged well.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Agreed. I'm currently doing a rewatch of all the films and just have insurrection and nemesis to go. So far my unofficial order is

Search for Spock

Wrath of Khan

First Contact

Undiscovered Country

The Motion Picture

Generations

Final Frontier

The Voyage Home

I'm expecting the last two will fit in somewhere below generations and above voyage home. The one with the whales gets a lot of love and I remember loving it as a child but it has not aged well.

Kirk and co. Stealing the Enterprise is one of the greatest scenes in all of Trek.

• Upvote 2

Oooh, while I do believe I have seen Search for Spock, I think it was only as a child. I really should give that a (re?)watch. :) 

4 hours ago, Waggo said:

Nemesis was and still is awful.  It was quite literally a franchise killer, in that they had to completely reboot Trek to get things moving again!!!!!

There were a lot of reasons why Trek died back then. For me, Nemesis was more a symptom of the death-throes, than the cause.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

DVD ... 

source.gif

Imagine not owning the Bluray boxset.

image.thumb.png.cb8a72d0f357c03ef2ff0c1423d93e2a.png

and having them ripped to your network storage so you can watch them at any moment.

image.png.e2f8ced6efad951ea571226da8236223.png

for shame

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PC Master Race said:

Kirk and co. Stealing the Enterprise is one of the greatest scenes in all of Trek.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

DVD ... 

source.gif

Alright I got it because I needed some stuff to pad out my Amazon wish list a few Christmases ago and I'd have felt guilty asking someone else to shell out extra for the Blu rays.

Does it make that much difference with old films that won't have been filmed in high def anyway? Genuine question, I've only ever really been arsed about high def for watching sport. Always been slow on the uptake with new tech. Didn't even get a smart phone until about 2015.

• Upvote 1