Jump to content
rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Recommended Posts

Phlox is great, no problems there. Dear Doctor was probably my favourite episode from season one and all his scenes here were fine too. It’s everything else that’s wrong with this episode, especially Boring Archer and his boring mutt, the relentless perving over T’Pol and the endless scenes of the crew soaping each other down in the Enterprise’s dedicated sex disco. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

aaaand holy crap I’ve just seen the Sick Dog episode. 

 

There is a worse one coming up in my opinion called Precious Cargo.  I have watched all but the last episode of season 2 now, and that is definitely the worst I have seen to date.  The acting is atrocious which is not something you expect even from bad Trek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so weird to be the generation that grew up with TNG and Friday night shows on Channel 4 that had C list celebrities point out that mobiles existed now and 60s trek predicted the future.

 

It all comes full circle. Look at those faces. Maybe Wil had used a keyboard in school, but each and everyone of those old hands has qwerty as an accidental second way of thinking, and when they were on the show they were just making pretend. We say computer and computer answers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job they're all labelled. I was thinking "What is Jason Manford doing there?" :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, makkuwata said:

It all comes full circle. Look at those faces. Maybe Wil had used a keyboard in school, but each and everyone of those old hands has qwerty as an accidental second way of thinking, and when they were on the show they were just making pretend. We say computer and computer answers!

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 09:46, Waggo said:

 

There is a worse one coming up in my opinion called Precious Cargo.  I have watched all but the last episode of season 2 now, and that is definitely the worst I have seen to date.  The acting is atrocious which is not something you expect even from bad Trek.

 

I've started rewatching Enterprise and am up to ep 7 or 8 of season 1.

 

My major takeaway, aside from that it's all very pedestrian with almost no threat at all (but perfectly watchable) is that the teasers are... well... not teasing anything. They just kinda limp into the credits. And the episode endings limp into the end credits, too, typically with a weirdly almost muted held note on the (elevator) music.

 

It's all very weird, particularly as I've been watching some TNG recently and the teasers are like, 'Bang! Here's the setup! Something intriguing happens, oooooooooooh!', whereas season 1 of Enterprise teasers are usually, 'Trip/Archer and T'Pol have a long conversation, roll opening credits.' It's SO WEIRD.

 

I hope this changes. Was it a conscious choice? Bizarre.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 23:56, Stigweard said:

IMG_20200330_175534.jpg

 

What is this from? Picard season two script readings? (A man can dream)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Barnard said:

 

What is this from? Picard season two script readings? (A man can dream)

 

It was on Marina Sirtis' Twitter feed. They'd all got together to wish her a happy birthday, because that cast just loves each other, and I love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2020 at 12:51, Eighthours said:

 

I've started rewatching Enterprise and am up to ep 7 or 8 of season 1.

 

My major takeaway, aside from that it's all very pedestrian with almost no threat at all (but perfectly watchable) is that the teasers are... well... not teasing anything. They just kinda limp into the credits. And the episode endings limp into the end credits, too, typically with a weirdly almost muted held note on the (elevator) music.

 

 

Yeah, this is definitely a thing.

 

Another thing I'm noticing more and more is that Enterprise doesn't really do b-stories. You remember how on DS9 if the main story was fairly slight, there'd usually be a secondary story running alongside it featuring, I dunno, Bashir dropping his darts into O'Brien's pint or something. Enterprise doesn't do that at all, really, it only ever has one story and however boring or slight it is, that's all you're going to get. So the episodes regularly feel quite padded out, like there's 40 minutes of runtime for 30 minutes of story. And it means the cast all hang around together all the time, there's no sense of any life on the vessel outside the story of the week.

 

Worse - even though Enterprise already has the smallest core cast of any of the Star Trek shows, it's always absolutely determined to focus on the core trio of Archer, Trip and T'Pol (occasionally with Malcolm thrown in for comic relief). Hoshi and especially Travis get virtually no character development at all. Sometimes they barely even seem to get any lines.

 

I mean, it's watchable. Occasionally fun. But why isn't it better?

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Enterprise was an attempt to take Star Trek back to basics, at least at the start. The Archer/Trip/T'pol focus was probably supposed to be the show's equivalent to Kirk, Spock and McCoy in the original series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2020 at 18:00, Mogster said:

I think Enterprise was an attempt to take Star Trek back to basics, at least at the start. The Archer/Trip/T'pol focus was probably supposed to be the show's equivalent to Kirk, Spock and McCoy in the original series.

They pretty much said as much at the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2020 at 14:41, Garwoofoo said:

 

 

 

I mean, it's watchable. Occasionally fun. But why isn't it better?

Baffling isn't it?  TNG had the excuse that they were attempting something new from the start so it was bound to be a bit shaky as they figured out what worked and what didn't.  DS9 had the "excuse" (and I still think it's one of the best season ones of the treks anyway, with that obvious exception)of a)not being ship based and b)the first of the spinoffs of the spinoff.  By the time Voyager and Enterprise came around they really should of known what worked and what didn't.  Granted you had to have time to get to know the crews but even given that, I think enterprise was just at the tail end of franchise fatigue and network changes and didn't really have a fair chance.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in many ways it's a similar situation to Voyager, where they had a great idea for a series but then never actually had the courage to run with it, reverting in both cases to "alien of the week" stories and TNG rehashes. With Enterprise being the third go at this, it's hardly surprising it's so stale.

 

But there was so much potential in a show that could have explored the birth of the Federation, tensions with the Vulcans, the development of the Prime Directive, first relations with the Klingons and the journey of the human race towards the Trek utopia we all know and love. It's a perfectly sound idea. But to do that properly would have required a different sort of show, one that didn't rely on a crew of half a dozen people travelling to different places on a starship each week, and sadly it seemed that no-one had the courage to do that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think in many ways it's a similar situation to Voyager, where they had a great idea for a series but then never actually had the courage to run with it, reverting in both cases to "alien of the week" stories and TNG rehashes. With Enterprise being the third go at this, it's hardly surprising it's so stale.

 

But there was so much potential in a show that could have explored the birth of the Federation, tensions with the Vulcans, the development of the Prime Directive, first relations with the Klingons and the journey of the human race towards the Trek utopia we all know and love. It's a perfectly sound idea. But to do that properly would have required a different sort of show, one that didn't rely on a crew of half a dozen people travelling to different places on a starship each week, and sadly it seemed that no-one had the courage to do that.

I think this was the aim of it and a few things are covered that nicely tie up bits of canon but they were hoping for the full seven series run and only got four so didn't have time to cover a lot of things. I.e. the birth of the federation ending up being covered by Riker in the holodeck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 09:46, Waggo said:

 

There is a worse one coming up in my opinion called Precious Cargo.  I have watched all but the last episode of season 2 now, and that is definitely the worst I have seen to date.  The acting is atrocious which is not something you expect even from bad Trek.


You are right about this one. Bottom-of-the-barrel, TNG S1 tier Trek. Shame really as the previous episode, Vanishing Point, was pretty decent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2020 at 14:41, Garwoofoo said:

 

Another thing I'm noticing more and more is that Enterprise doesn't really do b-stories. You remember how on DS9 if the main story was fairly slight, there'd usually be a secondary story running alongside it featuring, I dunno, Bashir dropping his darts into O'Brien's pint or something. Enterprise doesn't do that at all, really, it only ever has one story and however boring or slight it is, that's all you're going to get. So the episodes regularly feel quite padded out, like there's 40 minutes of runtime for 30 minutes of story. And it means the cast all hang around together all the time, there's no sense of any life on the vessel outside the story of the week.

 

 

 

 

Not sure I agree with Enterprise not doing B stories.  The episode I watched today for instance has a definite B story with Archer kidnapped being the main plot with T'pol undergoing Pon Farr as the B Plot.  The one where they took vacation on Risa had 3 or 4 different stories within the main premise (Shite episode though it was), and there are definitely others.

 

On the whole I have been pleasantly surprised with season 2, and I am led to believe it only gets better from here on in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the Axanar fan films had been abandoned a few years ago after breaching Paramount rules, but apparently they managed to reach an agreement and have produced a new episode, due for release in the near future. The Prelude to Axanar fan film is still freely available on Youtube.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the 'Dear Doctor' episode of Enterprise last night. Was quite good, but the 'teaser' was Phlox feeding some insects/animals in his lab. Then the single sustained musical note came in and we cut to credits. This is so fucking weird. Literally nothing happened in the teaser. Just... why?!?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, deKay said:

Because it’s not a teaser?

 

Yes, the teaser is designed to make you carry on watching the show. But so often in Enterprise, fuck-all happens during it. Completely unlike all the other Star Trek shows, so I can't believe it's not intentional. But that's just nuts, because why would you do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

 

Yes, the teaser is designed to make you carry on watching the show. But so often in Enterprise, fuck-all happens during it. Completely unlike all the other Star Trek shows, so I can't believe it's not intentional. But that's just nuts, because why would you do it?

I'm sure I remember quite a few in tng where people were just having inane conversation in ten forward or whatever. It might be more common in enterprise but they had 650 less episodes of ideas to work from. It isn't a new thing either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

I'm sure I remember quite a few in tng where people were just having inane conversation in ten forward or whatever. It might be more common in enterprise but they had 650 less episodes of ideas to work from. It isn't a new thing either way.

 

I've watched loads of TNG recently, can't remember a teaser with nothing of interest in it or a situation relevant to the episode's main plot not being set up before the opening credits. Same with DS9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I didn't realise until I lived in the US for a bit is that the teaser appears immediately after the credits of the previous show, before the next commercial break. So you go straight in to the tease for the next thing without a break (especially if the previous show had entertaining credits or a stinger at the end of them).

 

But anyway, it's weird for any show to have a teaser (or any other act break) that wasn't some kind of a cliff-hanger. The few times it's seemed like nothing happened in the teaser (for any show) it's turned out to be the point and either you've missed something or they're in a time loop or something. Does Enterprise really do that a lot? Is that maybe not where the opening credits were actually meant to go? (I remember them bumping the adverts in to stupid places away from the act breaks on the Sky TNG airings.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my TV. This morning it recommended me this.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still plodding through my TNG rewatch, into Season 5 and I watched The Game the other night. No way in hell Ensign Robin Lefler (a young Ashley Judd) would be interested in Wesley Crusher!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.