rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

45 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

It's not over, you've one ep to go!

No, I'm happy leaving it where it is. 

I've actually started the original show. Captain Pike is talking to a pair of buttheads. :lol:

45 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Did you really think the movies were great?

Yes, some of the plotting could be better (this is Abrams, after all) but the crew chemistry is fantastic. Pine makes a fantastic Kirk (sometimes he even sounds like Shatner), and Urban's Bones steals every scene. 

Into Darkness is far better than a lot of people give it credit for. Its just a shame they went with Khan and tried to mirror some of that movie. Cumberbatch's villain would have been so much better had he been left as simply John Harrison. 

Beyond is genuinely great considering it was written in just a few months on the back of some fag packets! I honestly love all three movies, and would dearly love to see just one more made to give the crew a proper send-off. Yelchin deserves a goodbye too. 

24 minutes ago, Hexx said:

You need to watch the last one just so we can read your thoughts!

Please? I’m having a rough view days :(

But what if I love it? *sigh*, alright then. I'll stick it on now. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, I'm happy leaving it where it is. 

I've actually started the original show. Captain Pike is talking to a pair of buttheads. :lol:

Yes, some of the plotting could be better (this is Abrams, after all) but the crew chemistry is fantastic. Pine makes a fantastic Kirk (sometimes he even sounds like Shatner), and Urban's Bones steals every scene. 

Into Darkness is far better than a lot of people give it credit for. Its just a shame they went with Khan and tried to mirror some of that movie. Cumberbatch's villain would have been so much better had he been left as simply John Harrison. 

Beyond is genuinely great considering it was written in just a few months on the back of some fah packets! I honestly love all three movies, and would dearly love to see just one more made to give the crew a proper send-off. Yelchin deserves a goodbye too. 

But what if I love it? *sigh*, alright then. I'll stick it on now. 

Once more unto the breach :D

• Upvote 1

Creepy Riker with T'Pol excepted, that wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. The chef element was actually rather clever if you ask me. :)

You can tell that, TNG daftness aside, that's the ending they were aiming for at the end of the proposed seven year run. Like I said earlier in this thread, perhaps in the final three seasons we'd have seen Archer become the truly legendary hero Starfleet history says he is. As it stands, he's a flawed human being, just like everyone else. That's actually something I like about him, Archer was never the ideal captain, we already had that in Picard. 

Fave character throughout was still Trip. Him and Reed could have done with a few more episodes together, they bounced off each other really well. 

I want a Beagle now. 

• Upvote 1

Well what do you know. In "Azati Prime" Archer actually acknowledges the bad thing he did in "Similitude". At least it was addressed slightly afterwards.

• Upvote 1

That's another thing I like about Archer, he doesn't lack self awareness. He was put in impossible situations and had to make horrible choices. Didn't always make the right ones, but that's easy for us, the viewer, to say from our armchair as we stuff our faces with crisps and a Kit-Kat. 

Also, I use Alexa in my house, I am so tempted to change the name to "Computer". 

• Upvote 2

Ah so you did watch the last episode @Thor. Colour me surprised. Its not as bad as everyone says, especially compared to what we have now (its leaps and bounds better in comparison).

I'm not a fan of the reboot films, but at least they dont throw the history of Trek under a bus like Discovery seems to. I havent watched the latter, and have just read some of people's views on here and seen a few clips that were shown in RedLetterMedia's "reviews" which make it look like the most ridiculous pile of shite I've ever seen in any Star Trek. The "I like Science" scene they showed was just insulting.

Sorry for the derail, but I had to get that off my chest after seeing it.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

Fave character throughout was still Trip. Him and Reed could have done with a few more episodes together, they bounced off each other really well.

I watched Shuttlepod One today, that's a brilliant bromance and I could watch Reed being Extremely British all day long.

Shame about his erotic dream about T'Pol though - I'm already sick of her being used as a sex object (it was only last week that Archer had his face 'accidentally' buried in her chest like this was an episode of Carry On Up The Enterprise) but also I was absolutely convinced that Reed was gay and I'm actually surprisingly disappointed that he's not.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, the last episode gets a bit too much negativity. It's not great, probably not even good but you can see what the objective was. In the end I see Terra Nova as the finale of Enterprise and the finale episode as the finale of Berman era trek. Even on that yardstick it is a let down but not the abomination some people would suggest it is. 

Back in the day Colin Trinneer went straight from Enterprise to a very important recurring role in Stargate Atlantis. Filling that Trip shaped hole in all our lives.

image.jpeg.8a26ffb1181453cdfd0f3c2eb6f2f205.jpeg

• Upvote 1

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Pilot episode of Star Trek, 1966:

jUucF-1477069085-1202-blog-trek_cage_oriongirl_1200.jpg

Final series of Enterprise, 2005:

latest?cb=20061217113023&path-prefix=en

giphy.gif

I actually enjoyed the pilot episode apart from the musical score, way too over the top. 

Just finished season 3 of Enterprise...

Spoiler

Nazis. Of course.

You watching ToS now @Thor?  I'm at season 3 of that, and just watched Spocks Brain (yes, thats the title of the episode :lol:).

Still nowhere near as bad as what I've seen of Discovery though.

8 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

You watching ToS now @Thor?

I watched the pilot, and did enjoy it. I really did find the musical score intrusive to the point of being off-putting, but everything else was good. It's Star Trek, Jim, and just as we know it. :)

You have to approach the Original Series like it's some dramatic stage production rather than a TV show.

I'd also probably skip about half the episodes.

10 hours ago, Benny said:

Just finished season 3 of Enterprise...

Reveal hidden contents

Nazis. Of course.

I didn't like that plot to be honest. 

It's a bit late now, but I'd normally advise that people skip The Cage too, or at least leave it until the end. It was never broadcast in the original run, and you end up seeing almost the entire thing in flashback during the Menagerie two-parter later down the line. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sold on the original series. However, it has given me even more appreciation for Quinto as Spock in the new films. Seeing a young Nimoy in this series ... it's like watching the same person, just with different voices. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm not sold on the original series. However, it has given me even more appreciation for Quinto as Spock in the new films. Seeing a young Nimoy in this series ... it's like watching the same person, just with different voices. 

Agreed. And then there's Ethan Peck. I like science.

Been watching ToS and I now have more fondness for it and the original cast than I did prior, especially now knowing what went on behind the scenes somewhat. Season 3 has some good episodes, despite the majority being duff due to not being written with any oversight at all from Roddenberry, and having a fraction of the money that the prior 2 seasons had.

The last episode I watched - And the Children Shall Lead -  is utterly terrible though. Probably the most dull episode of Trek I think I've ever seen, with the villains being some annoying children and an alien ghost who's barely in the episode.

charlie+x+1.jpg

Please tell me I've already hit the nadir of this first season. 

Edit: The episode actually ended strongly after veering into creepy horror. Interesting. 

Massive lol watching episode 4 just now. The Enterprise is entering the forcefield, and the creepy helmsman reaches back to grab the girl's hand ... the look on her face! :lol:

Edit: James R Kirk? 

Is that the second pilot (Where No Man Has Gone Before)? The one where both the woman and the bloke get weird silvery looking eyes?

Uhura's songs were the bane of the first few episodes for me. Fortunately they got dropped as a regular feature pretty quickly.

• Upvote 2