rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

By contrast, S1E4 of TNG was Code of Honor: possibly the worst, and certainly the most racist, episode of Star Trek ever. That show improved a bit too!

Watch it all, it's fine. Put it this way, If you can sit through the first couple of seasons of Voyager (and by that I mean the awful Kazon stuff and Neelix etc) Enterprise 1 & 2 are absolutely fine.

A quick glance on Netflix for good stuff in Seasons 1 and 2 and you have:

Spoiler

The Andorian Incident - Shran's first appearance (played by good old Jeffery Coombes, or Weyoun to most DS9 fans) and the Vulcan/Andorian conflict

Cold Front - features Daniel's from the 31st century for first time.

Shuttlepod one - Good Tucker and Reed bonding ep.

Carbon Creek - Vulcans stuck in America in the 1960's and having to blend in.

Minefield - First appearance of Romulans

Cease Fire - More on the Vulcan/Andorian conflict

Regeneration - Nice tie into the First Contact movie

First Flight - Good Archer back story on Earth of how he ended up getting Enterprise commission.

Expanse - Sets up the great third series.

There are a few stinkers here and there, including Trip getting pregnant by alien first contact and Archers dog getting ill but not all that bad.

• Upvote 1

On 05/02/2020 at 20:29, Huz said:

My decision was further vindicated when an episode this guy gives a 1 rating to, "Dear Doctor", turned out to be one of my favourites. I think that's a Marmite episode though!

I watched this one tonight and thought it was great! Actual character development and a proper Star Trek ethical dilemma. Definitely a highlight of the show so far. 

• Upvote 1

Rather enjoyed episodes 5 and 6 of enterprise. 5 in particular was pretty much classic Trek. 6 was good but that ending was so blatantly obvious. Looking forward to more now, though I forgot how much of a dick Archer can be. 

Well fuck me, I'm really enjoying Enterprise now. Also, I recall hating the title song way back when I first started watching this. What a twat! It's fucking great! :)

• Upvote 6

Now you’ve gone too far!

I’ve heard the title song precisely once, on the first episode, and have skipped it in nanoseconds every time since. 

Yeah I am currently rewatching Enterprise having given up on it half way through the first season on it’s original run, and it is bloody good.  Last episode I saw was T’Pols grandma crashing on Earth.

16 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Now you’ve gone too far!

I’ve heard the title song precisely once, on the first episode, and have skipped it in nanoseconds every time since. 

I honestly don't understand why I didnt like it, it's like a Def Leppard b-side. I fucking love Def Leppard. :D

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Well fuck me, I'm really enjoying Enterprise now. Also, I recall hating the title song way back when I first started watching this. What a twat! It's fucking great! :)

Just wait until Season 3 (or was it 4) where they spruce up the opening a little.

Edit - 'Ear it is...

It's not great is it. 

As any number of YouTube videos will attest to, an orchestrated version would be better. 

• Upvote 1

The original is the best. Dunno why they changed it in series 3+4. Sounds worse.

The series 4 two parter intro change was a nice surprise though (dont post it, as it'll spoil it for @Thor).

6 hours ago, McCoy said:

It's not great is it. 

As any number of YouTube videos will attest to, an orchestrated version would be better. 

this played on the end credits didn’t it? Love this music

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Hey, that's Neelix, and Ron Howard's brother. :lol:

Just watched the Ferengi episode then?

Inspired by this thread I've decided to finish off watching Enterprise. I've seen highlights of seasons 1 and 2 over the last year or so so decided to go straight into Season 3. It's fucking fantastic stuff so far. Bakula is knocking it out of the park. My third fave captain 

Its still got some issues, the chap on the helm barely gets any lines and the new Uhura doesn't fare much better. I still think TNG is head and shoulders above the rest.

As an aside I'm still trying to get into DS9. I feel like a bit of a failed geek for not being into it. I've also gone straight to Season 4. Odo is amazing and I love Quark and Bashir but still can't stand Sisko or Kira. I think many on here think Brooks is a great actor but to me he is more wooden than an acre of oak trees. I'm plodding on and enjoying the episodes but if the world had forgotten it I wouldn't be bothering 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, sandman said:

As an aside I'm still trying to get into DS9. I feel like a bit of a failed geek for not being into it. I've also gone straight to Season 4. Odo is amazing and I love Quark and Bashir but still can't stand Sisko or Kira. I think many on here think Brooks is a great actor but to me he is more wooden than an acre of oak trees. I'm plodding on and enjoying the episodes but if the world had forgotten it I wouldn't be bothering 

Just stop you lunatic. Go back and watch the first 3 seasons as there's some amazing episodes mixed in plus there's the main beginnings of everyone's character. The stuff you like now is sadly being diminished because you don't understand their characters, become a lot deeper the more you know. Odo especially and the introduction of Sisko's beard.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lorfarius said:

Just stop you lunatic. Go back and watch the first 3 seasons as there's some amazing episodes mixed in plus there's the main beginnings of everyone's character. The stuff you like now is sadly being diminished because you don't understand their characters, become a lot deeper the more you know. Odo especially and the introduction of Sisko's beard.

I've seen the first two seasons and some of 3. 

Just now, sandman said:

I've seen the first two seasons and some of 3. 

3 was the intro of the Defiant! Man alive.

Brooks is a terrible on camera actor. If he’s not gasping all the air out of a room before a sentence he’s doing an excited Michael Jackson impression.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Brooks is wooden? Just wait til you see In the Pale Moonlight!

Sorry Lorf, Avery Brooks is rubbish. He has his moments, sure enough, but overall he's really duff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

Just watched the Ferengi episode then?

Aye. I'm not a fan of the Ferengi, but that wasn't bad in all fairness. 

Somewhat unrelated, Archer has really grown on me over the course of this series. :)

DS9 probably has the best actors of any Trek series so Brooks does not stand out in the same way as Stewart or Mulgrew but I still consider him, and his work in DS9, to be pretty good. First amongst equals though, perhaps even overshadowed by other DS9 actors, whilst often for Trek the Captain is by far the best actor in the series. 

I love the TNG crew, but some of them are not the best actors in the world, as Frakes would personally attest to. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sorry Lorf, Avery Brooks is rubbish. He has his moments, sure enough, but overall he's really duff. 

Wind up, surely?

I rate Sisko as one of my fave Captains alongside Picard, the two are completely different from each other with Sisko being a far more emotional and complex character.

I also don't believe anyone who watched Season 4's The Vistor and didn't come away misty eyed, such a well played episode with Brooks, Lofton and Tony Todd as older Jake. Part of the dynamic I liked about Sisko, the fact that he was a single parent and his relationship with his son.

• Upvote 5