rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Having enjoyed the first episode of Star Trek Picard last night, and only ever seeing a tiny proportion of TNG episodes over the years, I decided to catch whichever TNG episodes were being shown on Pick today.

They're showing season 1, and unfortunately the first episode I caught was Justice. Turns out it's not just TOS which has episodes with Space Hippies. :(

Next was The Battle. Much better, though that's not exactly a high bar to clear. Features Wesley's rainbow uniform, and Picard snapping at Dr Crusher: "Surely you know what a headache is?"

Then Hide and Q, in which - after half an episode of Q's Napoleonic cosplay - Riker gets given Mister Mxyzptlk powers. At one point he walks out the bridge door, there's a quick scene cut, and then he immediately walks back in again, which probably wouldn't have stood out as odd if the channel showing it had put an ad break in the intended place between the two scenes. It also features Wesley getting stabbed in the back. (Alas, he's immediately brought back to life.)

Season One is really, really rough. You should move onto Season Two, watch The Measure of a Man and Q Who. Then start properly on Season Three. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Season One is really, really rough. You should move onto Season Two, watch The Measure of a Man and Q Who. Then start properly on Season Three. 

Not totally accurate.  The season one finale 'The Neutral Zone'  is a must watch episode.  It reintroduces the Romulans to the TNG crew and also lays the groundwork for the coming of the Borg in Q Who.  You are not missing much by skipping the rest though.

it has a kitsch charm if you are in the mood for it - S1 has Arsenal of Freedom, Symbiosis, Farpoint,Datalore and a few others that are kitschy but fun. But if you want the TNG experience with a few of the the rough edges knocked off then watch Conspiracy and The Neutral Zone from S1

Then S2 I think has more highlights - As well as Measure of Man and Q Who I like the following - Matter of Honour, Contagion, Time Squared and Peak Performance.

Again all have flaws but worth watching - that is from memory so there might be other gems (ok not in S1)

As prep for Picard I’ve been going through this TNG list which someone posted a while back and not really seen many duff episodes. I’m up to season 4 so far and even based on the first episode of Picard I’m glad I went back to these. 

On 03/08/2017 at 12:15, readonly said:

OK...this is, for me, a good list of episodes that introduce most of the major recurring characters, cover important plot arcs for the regulars and feature a totally biased selection of my own favourite standalone stories. There are plenty more worth watching but this is a good primer.

SEASON 1

Encounter At Farpoint (obviously)

Where No One Has Gone Before (important for Wesley)

Datalore (important for Data)

Heart Of Glory (first proper Klingon episode)

Skin Of Evil (you'll see why)

Conspiracy (pays off a thread from earlier in the season)

The Neutral Zone (return of an enemy)

SEASON 2

Elementary, Dear Data

A Matter Of Honor

The Measure Of A Man (ESSENTIAL viewing)

Contagion

The Icarus Factor (Riker's dad)

Q Who (not to be missed)

The Emissary (important Worf episode)

Peak Performance

SEASON 3

Who Watches The Watchers

The Enemy

The Defector

The High Ground

Deja Q

Yesterday's Enterprise

The Offspring

Sins Of The Father (the start of a very important plot arc for Worf)

The Best Of Both Worlds, Part I

SEASON 4

The Best Of Both Worlds, Part II

Family

Brothers (basically Datalore II)

Remember Me 

Legacy (not brilliant but ties into some stuff from Skin Of Evil so worth slotting in)

Reunion (follows on from The Emissary and Sins Of The Father)

Final Mission

Data's Day

The Wounded (introduced the Cardassians)

First Contact (one of the series' best standalone episodes)

The Drumhead 

The Host (not essential but handy if you plan to watch DS9 later)

The Mind's Eye 

Redemption

SEASON 5

Redemption II

Darmok

Ensign Ro (introduces the titular semi-regular and also the Bajorans, so handy for DS9)

Silicon Avatar (a sequel of sorts to Datalore)

Disaster

The Game (totally trashy nonsense but highly watchable)

Unification I & II (not amazing but features Spock, so...)

Power Play

Cause And Effect

The First Duty

I, Borg

The Next Phase

The Inner Light (not to be missed)

SEASON 6

A Fistful Of Datas

Chain Of Command I & II

Ship In A Bottle (sequel to Elementary, Dear Data)

Face Of The Enemy

Tapestry (the best Q episode)

Lessons

Frame Of Mind

Rightful Heir (more Klingon intrigue)

SEASON 7

Parallels

The Pegasus (Riker's best story)

Lower Decks (really great standalone episode and a semi-sequel to The First Duty)

Preemptive Strike (return of Ensign Ro)

All Good Things...

I’ve seen all of DS9 and Voyager but for whatever reason never saw a lot of TNG. It was maybe on just a bit early for me and never caught up on it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

As prep for Picard I’ve been going through this TNG list which someone posted a while back and not really seen many duff episodes. I’m up to season 4 so far and even based on the first episode of Picard I’m glad I went back to these.

Glad it was useful!

• Upvote 2

Finally got round to watching Insurrection after all these years. Rather enjoyed that! I'm in no hurry to watch it again, but it was still decent slice of TNG that I'd never seen before. :)

Nemesis is next, that the "so bad it's good" kind of bad, right? 

44 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hmmm... maybe I'll pass

You'll watch it! We all had to!

Buckle up for the ride.

Hmh3.gif

• Upvote 3

I actually liked it when I first saw it, although in retrospect I have no idea why. Maybe you will too. :unsure:

But you should watch it. If nothing else it's significant for the characters, as ham fisted as it is. I also remember it looking pretty good at the time, and was a big step up from Insurrection in that regard,

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I actually liked it when I first saw it, although in retrospect I have no idea why. Maybe you will too. :unsure:

But you should watch it. If nothing else it's significant for the characters, as ham fisted as it is. I also remember it looking pretty good at the time, and was a big step up from Insurrection in that regard,

That's actually some comparative good pew-pew-pew in there if you like that sort of thing.

I think the sets/outfits look cheap but the CGI looked pretty good.

Plus it feeds into Picard

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nah, I'm detecting "Sub rosa" levels of hate ... I never watched that either. 

Sub Rosa is "better" than Nemesis in soooooo many ways :D

TNG films are an oddity as they got criticised for being big TNG episodes sometimes and that is the sort of thing I wanted to see. For instance I prefer Generations to First Contact but depending on my mood I prefer Insurrection to First Contact as well. First Contact and Nemesis are both attempts at creating a TNG film that appeals to people who never saw TNG and one is markedly better than the other. Insurrection and Generations are more fan service.

• Upvote 1

I realised I’ve never watched any of the TNG movies despite having seen most of the actual show. I watched Generations yesterday and thought it was thoroughly mediocre. And their approach to making it “film like” was “do it just like the show but turn most of the lights down for no reason”. Ho hum. The others are worse you say?

5 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I realised I’ve never watched any of the TNG movies despite having seen most of the actual show. I watched Generations yesterday and thought it was thoroughly mediocre. And their approach to making it “film like” was “do it just like the show but turn most of the lights down for no reason”. Ho hum. The others are worse you say?

First Contact - better film, but not very Trek like

Insurrection - worse. Like an episode of the TV show but with worse writing, characterisation, acting, effects, plot, everything

Nemesis - worser. Stupid turned up to 11.

4 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

YMMV - some see First Contact as the bestm, it is certainly the most successful "film like" version of TNG but I prefer the TV feel.

The fact is that the best feature length send off TNG got was "All Good Things". Generations feels like a decent two parter they could have stuck into Season 7 (a bit like Relics) - Insurrection again a 2 parter but not as good.

I quite liked Insurrection. As the most common criticism is that its plot is almost identical to certain specific episodes of TNG, the fact I've never seen those particular episodes turned out to be an advantage!

Far from a great film, but I liked it more than I expected given its reputation.

• Upvote 2

I saw a comment once that described Generations as an end of season two-parter, with Insurrection being a mid-season two-parter. That fits quite well for me.

• Upvote 1

that's about right - and as a TNG fnat hey were most welcome - but can see why the average film fan might not be enamoured :D

First Contact is "ok" and decent enough... nemesis , well, it is a real shame as I think there was a nugget of an idea (cloned bad picard) there and Tom Hardy is usually superb. But they just wasted all the talent with an utterly rancid script.

Tom Hardy gave up the biz for years after doing Nemesis, didn't he?

First Contact is all worth it for James Cromwell, the bits with Stewart and Alfre Woodard ("No...! Noooooo!" *Smash*) and of course, drunk Troi :wub:

56 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

There's a brilliant book about what with Insurrection by Michael Pillar

Well worth a read as it shows just how bad it was behind the scenes and why it ended up such a mess.

Think I remember parts of this. Did it have numerous back and forths between Patrick Stewart and the screenwriters where he wanted to be more of an action hero? 

Just now, Garibaldi said:

Think I remember parts of this. Did it have numerous back and forths between Patrick Stewart and the screenwriters where he wanted to be more of an action hero? 

Yeah :lol:

7 hours ago, Clipper said:

Sub Rosa is "better" than Nemesis in soooooo many ways :D

TNG films are an oddity as they got criticised for being big TNG episodes sometimes and that is the sort of thing I wanted to see. For instance I prefer Generations to First Contact but depending on my mood I prefer Insurrection to First Contact as well. First Contact and Nemesis are both attempts at creating a TNG film that appeals to people who never saw TNG and one is markedly better than the other. Insurrection and Generations are more fan service.

I'm in this category. I liked Nemesis, and definitely prefer it to Generations and Insurrection.