rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

They spent a fortune remastering TNG and then hardly anyone bought the box sets afterwards because they already had bought it on VHS and DVD and could just watch the new version on Netflix instead. Given Voyager and DS9 were less popular and contained much more complex CGI sequences to touch up, it's hardly surprising that they didn't bother, the likely returns don't come close to justifying the expense.

It sucks but there you go.

• Upvote 2

I've been doing a re-watch of TNG over the past few weeks. "The Hunted" has Zeffram Cochrane's actor with a tache saying, "IT WAS THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE. THERE WAS A REFERENDUM."

Oh god.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Joystick Chevron said:

They spent a fortune remastering TNG and then hardly anyone bought the box sets afterwards because they already had bought it on VHS and DVD and could just watch the new version on Netflix instead. Given Voyager and DS9 were less popular and contained much more complex CGI sequences to touch up, it's hardly surprising that they didn't bother, the likely returns don't come close to justifying the expense.

It sucks but there you go.

Perhaps somewhat valid although ignoring the money that the remastered gained by the Netflix sale rights. The bigger problem was that they released each season for silly money to start with. 

• Upvote 1

I've just started chatting to someone on a dating app who is massively into star trek. This is a first and I'm quite excited! Initially we agreed to disagree on whether NG or DS9 is the best, and agreed that they are head and shoulders above the rest.

Then it transpires that she really likes Discovery.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 8

30 minutes ago, Plums said:

I've just started chatting to someone on a dating app who is massively into star trek. This is a first and I'm quite excited! Initially we agreed to disagree on whether NG or DS9 is the best, and agreed that they are head and shoulders above the rest.

image.png.dfa26d70c31a9765a54ca723f1901141.png

30 minutes ago, Plums said:

Then it transpires that she really likes Discovery.

image.png.dc52ce9f9488cabae2106912a38e24f0.png

• Upvote 6

My best mate likes Discovery. Its ruining our relationship as he cannot see the error of his ways and I am quickly losing respect for him.

Mind you, he loved Voyager and never watched all of DS9 so I should have seen that coming.

• Empathy 1

I have been watching odd episodes of Enterprise lately on Netflix, as despite being an ardent Trek fan I largely gave up on it first time around.  Just finished watching the augment trilogy, with the Khan wannabes and it was excellent. 

This is what Enterprise should have been doing from the very start making compelling stories from the already rich Trek lore built up over previous series, not all the shit we got about insect and time wars over the first couple of seasons.

You should watch the whole thing! I was strangely grateful that Discovery's awfulness made me go back to Enterprise's first season with fresh eyes, then stay till the end. It's way different from other Trek but a great series in its own right.

Yeah I'm top to season 3 in my rewatch of Enterprise and I've really enjoyed it. A few duffers, but that's the same for all Star Trek series. I think I'm about up to where I stopped watching originally so looking forward to the rest. 

13 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Yeah I'm top to season 3 in my rewatch of Enterprise and I've really enjoyed it. A few duffers, but that's the same for all Star Trek series. I think I'm about up to where I stopped watching originally so looking forward to the rest. 

You're in for a treat. Season 3 and 4 are excellent.

• Upvote 1

Scotch infused chewing gum. Now that's a future I can get behind. 

Which leads me to the things Shatner can't get behind.  

And the recent Guardian article that reveals Shatner just does not give a shit. 

Eventually Shatner’s persistent questioning made sense. “He was saying that he didn’t want to be held to some stupid kiddy standard; he wants to make something for him that speaks of his life, and what’s cooler than that?” Folds says. “A 75-year-old man doesn’t give a shit, just does not give a shit, and he’s the coolest motherfucker on the planet."

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/aug/29/ben-folds-william-shatner-brick-melbourne-writers-festival

Season 3 of Enterprise done. That was really good, hope it continues into season 4. 

That theme tune though, how did they make it worse?

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

I'm convinced that Enterprise failed because of that theme tune. CONVINCED.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Season 3 of Enterprise done. That was really good, hope it continues into season 4. 

I felt S4 dropped off slightly from S3 but was still very, very good. I think opinion is generally split as to which was the better season though so I'll be interested to hear what you make of it.

Season 3 of Enterprise was amazing, I really loved the Xindi stuff. They must have known that Season 4 was the last going into it as it feels so rushed to come to a conclusion.

Spoiler

The whole time cold war story is thrown under a bus at the start of the season with little explanation as to what actually happened (we never find out who the shadowy figure giving directions is). 

I did enjoy the whole foundation of the Federation story though, including the anti alien group of human's looking to disrupt the Federation being formed. Again, this story felt far too rushed.

The less said about the finale the better, it is a bittersweet disappointment as an ending for the series (if anything the episode preceding it is the true finale).

Goddamn. I just finished another run through of the show two days ago. I still rate '...It's Only A Paper Moon' in my top 5 favourite episodes in the show. :(

• Upvote 1

Oh man. That's awful. My favourite character on my favourite series of Star Trek and by all accounts an absolutely lovely guy as well. He was pretty active on Twitter, very vocal about politics and full of the kind of generosity of spirit you'd expect from someone who brought such life to the character of Nog. The last thing I read from him was him hoping he'd be able to reprise the character some day. This is really hard news.

• Upvote 2