rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Well one of us is being a silly because I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. There’s nothing like that in the last episode of Enterprise, Terra Prime.

That’s sounds like bad fan fic. 

Still better than Discovery or the shite Abrams films.

3 hours ago, Meh said:

I adored the mirror universe two-parter. The cast seem to enjoy taking a break from playing the squeaky-clean versions of themselves, and Linda Park was absolutely delicious as MU Hoshi. Such a hideous bunch of people, with zero morals, and not a trace of the Federation to stop them.

Is the MU book about Hoshi any good?

Don't forget Porthos :)

5 hours ago, Meh said:

I adored the mirror universe two-parter. The cast seem to enjoy taking a break from playing the squeaky-clean versions of themselves, and Linda Park was absolutely delicious as MU Hoshi. Such a hideous bunch of people, with zero morals, and not a trace of the Federation to stop them.

Is the MU book about Hoshi any good?

She was no leather-clad Kira Nerys! :D

Starting a run through of Enterprise, as I've only seen the first season(maybe the second, can't remember) when it first came out on tv.  Let's see how this goes. 

• Empathy 1

Ok, first episode done. It's almost shocking how much slower paced this is than Discovery. They'd have wrapped that up in half an hour! I'd forgotten most of what happened, which isn't surprising after 18 years. Much better than I remembered apart from the shameless 'decontamination' scene. 

On 02/05/2019 at 18:03, Lorfarius said:

Hide contents

Pissing away an entire series on claiming it's Riker's holodeck fantasy? Meaning it was all fake and of zero consequence.

except the Next ten framing was only in that episode and not the entire series and anything to the contrary is fan fiction.

3 minutes ago, Gord said:

except the Next ten framing was only in that episode and not the entire series and anything to the contrary is fan fiction.

Spoiler

Nope, that's what all the chef non appearances were about and if its explained in an episode like that becomes canon.

Given they wrote the episode for the fourth season that's terribly unlikely. It's a leap of logic that I don't agree with at all and doesn't make much sense. Either way it's still a awful episode.

11 episodes into Enterprise and I'm really enjoying it. I'm surprised that I remember virtually nothing past the first episode(I think watched 2 seasons back in the day). So far though, no duffers. Maybe after Discovery(which I enjoyed, despite its stupidity) it's nice to have some classic, slower paced Trek where they explore strange new worlds, seek out new life.... Etc. Maybe it takes a nosedive at some point, I can't remember. 

• Upvote 1

My hatred for Discovery made me revisit Enterprise about a month ago, too. I had a bit of a downer on it originally and didn't give it enough of a chance, but it turns out that I was just spoiled for choice back then. I think it's great now, especially in contrast to Discovery! It's so refreshing to have the stories unfold at a sensible pace and to have characters I vaguely care about.

I've taken a bit of a break between S3 and S4, but it's only getting better so far.

A proper Enterprise re-evaluation going on in this thread, then.

I'm only eight or so episodes in but I'm really enjoying it - like others, I'm finding it's a breath of fresh air after Discovery. (And genuinely I'm enjoying this more). It seems very old-fashioned in many ways: episodes don't ever seem to have quite enough plot to fill the runtime, the episodic format means Archer never learns anything and is always a massive space racist regardless of what's happened in the previous episode, and it's very much Star Trek Sausagefest with all the male characters getting all the dialogue and action and T'Pol mostly given the role of spoiling their fun.

But. It's very likeable despite all that. I really like the way the characters are just there, getting on with their roles, with absolutely nothing in the way of backstory shoehorned in. I've decided I really like Malcolm Reed despite the fact I know nothing about him yet really, he just seems like a good egg. The episode I watched today (Breaking the Ice) had a long segment where the crew did absolutely nothing apart from answer questions about the Enterprise sent to them by schoolchildren, and it was great. Yesterday Jeffrey Combs showed up as an Andorian. I'm not sure I can ask for much more, really.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

the episodic format means Archer never learns anything and is always a massive space racist regardless of what's happened in the previous episode, and it's very much Star Trek Sausagefest with all the male characters getting all the dialogue and action and T'Pol mostly given the role of spoiling their fun.

You've got it

On 12/05/2019 at 20:24, Meh said:

There is a male character who has almost zero dialogue in the vast majority of episodes.

The dog?

I was always a fan of Enterprise. Ended too soon for me :(

• Upvote 1

I watched the one when they are in the cave tripping their tits off seing rock people. What I enjoyed about this was Trip's acting. It was really convincing and exciting, great to watch. Imagine Burnham trying to do the same scenes, I want to gag thinking about it.

2 hours ago, Meh said:

:lol:

He didn't have a single line in the mirror universe episodes.

I'm working through season 3 and halfway through he's pretty much only said "Yes, Captain" 3 or 4 times. 

2 hours ago, Purin said:

I watched the one when they are in the cave tripping their tits off seing rock people. What I enjoyed about this was Trip's acting. It was really convincing and exciting, great to watch. Imagine Burnham trying to do the same scenes, I want to gag thinking about it.

Tilt her head and cry, before being the only one to realise it's not real because she's awesome, presumably. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Just don't use it for that season 4 two-parter near the end...

Without spoilers, when is that? In still on season 1 so a while to go yet.