rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

18 hours ago, cubik said:

I couldn't find a Star Trek Enterprise thread, on account of it being well old and the search engine here being a bit, well, shite.

It's actually easier to use Google search as it brings back better results :lol: Just tap in "Rllmuk+subject"

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Is there a decent viewing guide to DS9 somewhere? I want to do a watch-through for the first time in years, but avoiding the non-essential and not-so-good episodes.

Having watched the whole thing a couple of years back (and written about most of it at tedious length in this thread), I'd say that skipping stuff would be missing the point a bit. Even the slowest or silliest episodes have nice little character moments and build up the atmosphere of the station. You kind of need that background to be truly invested and then when shit really kicks off it has much more impact.

The first series is very patchy but no more so than TNG's first season (or Discovery's, for that matter) and it's all upwards from there. From season 4 onwards it's much more often hit than miss. Watch the lot.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Having watched the whole thing a couple of years back (and written about most of it at tedious length in this thread), I'd say that skipping stuff would be missing the point a bit. Even the slowest or silliest episodes have nice little character moments and build up the atmosphere of the station.

That’s true... It’s often a very character based series, and there’s so many great characters, so it’d be a shame to miss those moments. It’s definitely a slow burner series as well, intentionally or not, and skipping too much of the minor stuff will dullen the impact of some of the more dramatic and series-defining episodes.

Having watched every episode of enterprise, tos, tas, TNG and DS9 over the past 18 months or so, I'm finally on to voyager. Specifically right now the episode where Paris turns into a lizard, then pumps Janeway. Who is also a lizard.

Why the fuck did I not leave DS9 until last. This is no way to finish my trek journey.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 12

10 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Having watched every episode of enterprise, tos, tas, TNG and DS9 over the past 18 months or so, I'm finally on to voyager. Specifically right now the episode where Paris turns into a lizard, then pumps Janeway. Who is also a lizard.

Why the fuck did I not leave DS9 until last. This is no way to finish my trek journey.

Welcome to the party pal!

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Rewatch Sacrifice of Angels to cleanse your palate.

• Upvote 2

Been reading that the new Picard series is set after the destruction of Romulus.

You remember that? When Romulus got destroyed? At the end of the reboot film? In the Kelvin timeline?

iWKad22 (1).jpg

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Been reading that the new Picard series is set after the destruction of Romulus.

You remember that? When Romulus got destroyed? At the end of the reboot film? In the Kelvin timeline?

Well technically it happened before the reboot film and is what caused that alternate timeline to occur. I'm not worried. Star Trek Online has done good stuff with the post Romulus timeline.

That's not what Frakes says.

"Patrick isn’t playing Capt. Jean-Luc Picard this time, he’s done with [that phase of his career in] Starfleet in this show. That’s about the only thing I do know about the show.”

(Emphasis mine).

No mention of alternative timelines.

It's not what frakes says no, it's what the article says.

Taking place in an entirely new timeline from The Next Generation, it turns out the new series will see Sir Patrick Stewart's Captain Picard step away from Starfleet

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

It was destroyed in the Prime timeline. Nero went back in time and created the Kelvin timeline after that. 

bttfii_2.jpg

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

It's not what frakes says no, it's what the article says.

It's just badly written. I think what they mean to say is that the new Picard series takes place in a different time period as the TNG series - namely 20 years later than when Nemesis was set. 

• Upvote 2

OK, finished DS9 season 1, and... It’s properly good! Only skipped three episodes, and with that in mind it was all surprisingly solid from early on, if a bit “adversary and/or gimmick of the week”. Emissary is the best Trek pilot by an enormous distance, and much of the character work is superb from the get-go. Enjoying this far more than I did my TNG watch-through, and I was struck how thematically the series has aged much better than any other Trek series. Remarkably so, in places. Honestly, the posts on the first page of this thread suggesting skipping to the start of season 4 are just proper wrongness.

Problems? Well, it’s a massive shame that it’s not had a HD remaster – on Netflix it’s like watching an NTSC Laserdisc through a Framemeister on suboptimal settings, sadly.

• Upvote 3

Caught a bit of All Good Things on SyFy earlier. Holy hell does Crusher wear a metric fuckton of make-up. Is this one of those things you never notice until HD.

tenor.gif?itemid=7536625

• Upvote 3

A second animated show coming. This one on Nickelodeon rather than CBS All Access. They intend it to be a big tentpole show for them. It'll also be skewed more towards kids, which is why it's on Nick rather than All Access. It's written by Kevin and Dan Hageman, who wrote Trollhunters, Lego Movie and Lego Ninjago Movie.

I'd rather just have the proper timeline back. Knock all this bobbins on the head and give us decent ST again. Make sure Rick Berman is never allowed on the lot again.

• Empathy 1

11 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I'd rather just have the proper timeline back. Knock all this bobbins on the head and give us decent ST again. Make sure Rick Berman is never allowed on the lot again.

Picard will save us. 

Spoiler

A0AE20D8-9E18-4F45-A5FE-90B45139B068.jpeg.e9399c20fa51a29b4fa28dcbe68a4684.jpeg

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Mogster said:

This is all proper timeline stuff. Be careful what you wish for. ;)

I'm so worried about it but Stewart can still do a good acting turn thanks to his amazing acting chops. I just hope they make the action stuff for the first officer and lower ranks, don't try to force Stewart to try rambling about for action scenes!

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

...force Stewart...

Other way around surely. From what I've read P.Stew spent half his time on TNG lobbying for Picard to be more of a sexy action man fist fighting baddies and bumping uglies with the hot alien chick of the week. The TNG production team mostly held firm during the series, but the second he managed to get a degree of producer creative control we ended up with:

5924f321b558487dacf98c873b0e45bfa3612046

• Upvote 6

33 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

That was the best part of the movie though :lol:

"damning with faint praise" has never been more apt.

• Upvote 2