RLLMUK's FAVOURITE ALBUMS OF 2011 - RESULTS!

I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE DONE.

Nah, it's quite a good list. Sad to see the Beasties getting one vote (although not from me)

Why back in my day..... :blah:

Good work ngchol! Looks like I'll have to give Bon Iver a Dave's second chance, i thought the first album was decent but the fact I could barely hear any of the words was just annoying to me.

Aye, these threads are always invaluable for me. I'm lucky if I buy more than ten albums a year these days so it is always good to be able to cherry pick from the cream of the crop. Although from what I've listened to in 2011 I felt it was a pretty disappointing year with no album that truly amazed me. James Blake, M83, PJ Harvey, Kate Bush to name but four all delivered good albums but not necessarily ones that I can see me playing in years to come. I think the biggest shock was another Bjork album that did very little for me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting radiohead is where is because it was in lots of lists, most people didn't put it in thier top threes. Will get the ones I don't have anyway, nice work everyone!

Well, this is always the issue with 10 vote voting systems. It is by no means a bad album and would have made my top 10 had I done one but I have only properly listened to about 10 albums this year so it gets in my top 10 almost by default. Relatively, it is a long, long, way behind let england shake.

It's a tricky one, isn't it? One alternative is to give people 55 points to allocate between 10 albums, but given the number of PMs I have to send every year politely reminding people how the current, much simpler system is implemented, it doesn't really bear thinking about.... are there other alternatives we could consider too?

thanks to this thread i discovered M83, SBTRKT and was convinced to give the Bon Iver album a shot. i love all three of them. i've been listening to the Bon Iver album on repeat all day. it's spellbinding. i love albums with a consistent mood; they're great to think to.

"Holocene" is as good if not better than "Flume", and i love his fragmented lyrics. even without knowing exactly what he means, the chorus is heartbreaking:

and at once i knew i was not magnificent

strayed above the highway aisle

jagged vacance, thick with ice

i could see for miles, miles, miles

Couple of albums I got at Christmas that would definitely have been on my list and I'm astounded that no one else voted for (as you're all far trendier and up with it than I am); Wilco's last album (Big Love) which I thought was really good (after not being that impressed by the previous one) and Josh T Pearson 'Last of the country gentlemen' which I am astoundingly in love with and would have put second on my list.

• 1 month later...

thanks to this thread i discovered M83, SBTRKT and was convinced to give the Bon Iver album a shot. i love all three of them. i've been listening to the Bon Iver album on repeat all day. it's spellbinding. i love albums with a consistent mood; they're great to think to.

"Holocene" is as good if not better than "Flume", and i love his fragmented lyrics. even without knowing exactly what he means, the chorus is heartbreaking:

Have you listened to Hadestown by Anais Mitchell? It's excellent and Justin Vernon (Bon Ivor) features on it.

There's something about his vocal, especially on For Emma, Forever Ago, that is really special. You can really feel his pain. I know that sounds a bit pretentious but, for me, it was why the cover, by Birdy, of Skinny Love did nothing for me as I couldn't 'believe' it.

Christ, I sound like a judge on the X Factor.

I have picked up M83 and SBTRKT from this list so far. Not really formed an opinion on either yet. I will also pick up Kuedo and Blanck Mass in due course

I may suggest previewing Blanck Mass before a purchase, I love the record but it's not for everyone.