The Newsroom

Hopes it makes it over here in quickly too. Sky is a bit unpredictable with HBO shows now, sometimes it was the day after it was on in the US, sometimes it's one week behind but then there shows like How to Make it In America season 2 that is no where to be seen.

So is this an hour long show or 20 minutes like Sports Night?

• 3 months later...

I haven't watched the trailer yet but I read the pilot script a few weeks back and it was predictably great. I know that Sorkin has a particularly well-trodden style that grates with some (and this has all the usual hallmarks) but it still works for me.

Begins its 10 episode season on 24 June:

THE NEWSROOM kicks off its ten-episode season SUNDAY, JUNE 24 at 10:00 p.m. (ET/PT). This new series centers on a cable news anchor (Jeff Daniels), his new executive producer (Emily Mortimer), his newsroom staff (John Gallagher, Jr., Alison Pill, Thomas Sadoski, Dev Patel, Olivia Munn) and their boss (Sam Waterston). Together they set out on a patriotic and quixotic mission to do the news well in the face of corporate and commercial obstacles and their own personal relationships. Aaron Sorkin created the series and executive produces along with Scott Rudin and Alan Poul.

I'm a huge Sorkin fan and this looks great. I'm slightly worried that it seems to have the same introduction as Studio 60 with a well respected cast member (or in this case news anchor) goes off script, controversy ensues and the show then follows the main cast of characters trying to fix what was broken.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit worried that this is just going to be more of Sorkin's fantasy left-wing fan-fiction. First he does the fantasy left-wing government, then the fantasy left-wing satirical comedy show, and now he's doing fantasy left-wing news. What's next, Sorkin's fantasy left-wing space station? Actually that wouldn't work because people could only float down corridors, which would be too slow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Abso-bloody-exactly.

I'm halfway through this and i'm struggling to keep going.

It feels like its a different dimension of reality than the one its portraying, and while that might sound like great fun and worth exploring its a reality where everyone talks like the same ruddy person. Everyone talks in the same manner you've come to know from the writers previous projects, no matter if its in moments of lightness and banter or full metal Sorkin drama, it feels so written and slightly forced all the way through. The dialog by its excessively eager nature comes off as clunky and unnatural than the intended poetic licence, and I don't know how or why it worked with the West Wing but its enthusiasm (and naivety somewhat) was admirable at times. I don't know I can say the same thing here, whether thats because I've grown up and things have simply moved on to something like The Thick of It or Veep where the political office is portrayed as the game it is rather than a platform for something more profound, I cant escape the feeling The Newsroom all feels rather redundant.

Plus who's that bow tie wearing mother fucker and how did he get cast in the first place?

The more I think about it, the more I settle on the opinion that this was just terrible. Anyone wanting what Sorkin is trying to speak to, just watch Steven Colbert.

The Newsroom spoon feeds you its messages. The moment you have your characters talk to each other in earnest about the story of Don Quixote or how Walter Cronkite saved America from Vietnam, with swelling orchestral music behind the supposedly off the cuff diatribes you've obviously worked on for months, you have failed. Its a lecture in self-righteousness than of ideas, and an embarrassing one at that.

i’m tempted to tell the whole thing to fuck off quite frankly.

Weird. Cause I fucking loved every second of it.

This!

I think the idea of setting it two years ago and then being able to see these characters deal with News stories we're all aware of is genius move.