Fortnite: Battle Royale - CH3S4: Paradise - Shiny and chrome

Pistol

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I don’t think 50v50 is available right now? 

I was playing it half an hour ago. 

Re: the rocket. There’s a mountain near Snobby Shores with the top cut off and a massive rocket sticking out of the top. Just look for the flashing red lights. :) 

My kid was so stoked about it. Also, as everyone headed for the rocket area, he decided to be somewhere else which had a straight line view on it (seemed like most places), and a rocket booster thing landed pretty much next to him. Smart choice!

It was cool and exciting to see it all, he was shouting with excitement at it. Definitely good gaming memories there.

8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Shotguns need to be nerfed. The number of times I’ve been one shotted from distance is insane. 

Thyve been nerfed to hell, full health and shield and none of them can one shot you and the distance drop off is brutal compared to the good old days - SMG’s just got another buff and are mental, you have to double pump to stand a chance against them these days and at anything other than up close they are way more powerful than a shotgun.

14 hours ago, carlospie said:

That rocket was ace, how they did that in real time server wife is a miracle. 

Strong rumours its to highlight a world ‘outside’ fortnite, ala the true man show and will open up a new map etc 

They are are doing a top notch job with this game to be fair

plus I got my first Royale in a squad tonight :)

YES LADS. My first ever win, period!

Pistol and I went on to have some intense Duos. 

This fucking game man. I love it.  But I hate my seeming incapability of learning how to build some basics.

I’m playing far more aggressively now, which unfortunately means I’m finding it harder to win, and also on Xbox, every now and the. You run into some savant wearing a 2000 v-buck skin who you should have known better not to mess with.

Lots of top tens, yesterday. I think in one, I took out 5 of the last 10 yesterday before getting taken out myself. Need to let them take care of each other and pick off the last few, instead. 

42 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Tbf I don’t think building is essential especially on squads.

I only really used ramps to get us up mountains and walls to put up a quick shield while moving across an open area. 

Towards the end there are often enough player made structures you can use for cover/leverage, you can focus on your scavenging, health and aiming.

That game we had last night was so good, we were coordinated without mics - especially at the end when we had the terrain advantage over the other two squads. I think they were individually better players than us so it was extra satisfying when the last guy went down and we got the Victory Royale! :D

Squads is a good way to both benefit from others' building, and practice your own. For quite a while I would just tag along in a squad of randoms, and when we encountered bad guys further than my aiming skills or weapon loadout could handle, I would practice by throwing up walls behind their ramps and reinforcing their structures when they got damaged.

I loved this quote from Rowan, because it illustrates how important mastering some basic building can be:

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:30, Rowan Morrison said:

I remain terrible at this, but maybe it's for the best. Last night I was playing the new five-teams-of-twenty mode, and I'd just made it into the second safe zone. As usual I'd put together a pretty decent set of items that I was fully expecting to have ripped out of my hands the moment I saw an enemy.

But as I turned around, I saw someone crossing a river just ahead of the storm. It was quite a distance, but I popped off a couple of shots from an assault rifle and landed two hits, after which they backed behind a tree.

The storm was moving on, so I knew they'd have to do something, and eventually they ran out towards the hill cover opposite. I knew I could hit them from where I was, so I took my time and killed them halfway across the river. The storm stopped just short of their corpse, so I ran down to loot.

Bear in mind this was after two safe zone shrinkages, and I, a complete oaf, had cobbled together two blue weapons, a purple, a gold and 50% armour.

The corpse was carrying two things: a small pile of wood and a small pile of stone. My first thought was that I'd killed a seven year old who was just trying to learn how to build, but I quickly remembered that it was just as likely to be a grown human man, like me a couple of weeks ago, and I was probably going to be comprehensively slaughtered by a seven year old before the match was through.

Still, I felt bad, you know? And my opportunities for not feeling bad in Fortnite are few and far between.

We've all been on the receiving end in that situation when we're new to the game - running across open ground and you start taking fire, shitshitshit keep running find cover where are they oh I'm dead. Then next game you're on the other end of the gun, you spot someone out in the open, get a bead on them and open fire... yes YES headshot - oh. Walls. Now they're shooting back. Guess I'll die, then.

Another good example in one of our duo games last night - went to haunted hills with @robdood, I took out someone in the tower but his mate got me afterwards. Rob was in the small chapel type building, looted the chest but took fire and threw up a panic wall and ramp immediately, just as grenades started flying in. That bought you enough time to get out of the exploding building and fight back - it was a really good play.

Couple of my general strategies:

* Never ignore an ammo box. Guns are useless without ammo and if you just loot chests, then early game if you get into a firefight you are going to run dry VERY quickly. Grey AR with 150 ammo beats empty legendary SCAR every time. Always amazes me how often a house has had its chests looted but there is ammo and ammo boxes lying around all over the shop!

* Harvest wood - brick and metal are only really useful if you're planning on building fort knox. The reason is that each type of material has a starting health, and a final health, and a build time. Wood starts with more health and builds faster; this means in a fight, wood is actually stronger than brick or metal! Ever spectated someone under fire frantically throwing up brick or metal walls to no avail? Probably thinking "WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!?" - because you're not using wood. LMGs and miniguns will absolutely melt unfinished brick and metal structures; wood holds out a fraction longer, giving you time to retreat.

* Opportunistic harvesting - I am the enemy of furniture. I love it. If I enter a house and there's an ammo box and a table and chairs I'm as happy as if I've found a chest. Furniture busts in one axe swing and done. I do chop trees when I'm sure it's safe, but usually after I've looted a couple of houses I've got a couple of hundred wood which is enough to get you started; fences are my next priority, two swings and it's down so you can run along a fence line and smash it all down quickly. Pallets are a gold mine, and who doesn't love a good box?

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Tbf I don’t think building is essential especially on squads.

I only really used ramps to get us up mountains and walls to put up a quick shield while moving across an open area. 

Towards the end there are often enough player made structures you can use for cover/leverage, you can focus on your scavenging, health and aiming.

That game we had last night was so good, we were coordinated without mics - especially at the end when we had the terrain advantage over the other two squads. I think they were individually better players than us so it was extra satisfying when the last guy went down and we got the Victory Royale! :D

As the skill level goes up on Switch building will become essential so not learning it now is going to be a huge negative going forward, I wouldn’t use squads as a yard stick as it’s pretty easy until you hit a team that can build and then you’re toast!

@Pistol - yeah, people do seem to skip ammo boxes a lot. Which is weird, because I quickly figured out that topping up ammo is vital. 

I only generally harvest wood, but that's basically an attempt to make my life easier by not having to switch materials. I had no idea it was stronger earlier on, so that's handy. I'm also swinging my axe constantly whenever I'm in a house. 

I was thrilled over the weekend when I managed to retreat into an attic in enemy territory and down two players with a spike trap. I strongly suspect they were healed shortly after their teammates came through the roof and slaughtered me, but they were too late because I was already pleased with myself. 

• Pistol changed the title to Fortnite: Battle Royale - CH3S4: Paradise - Shiny and chrome