Fortnite: Battle Royale - C2:S8 ends 4th December

gospvg

Just to join in:

958710380_royaleDhGNHkRVQAAuS0n.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.dde920f8fb2bdeff2dd06798aa1e6eed.jpg

I'd had about 5 second places before that so was chuffed to get it. Got to a good quiet bit behind rocky hills as the circle got smaller, and knew roughly where they were. Then built a decent elevated brick/metal mini-plateau to cross to another nearby hill, keeping it small and behind tree tops in the hope nobody would see. Killed one guy trying to get up to the hill and the other after he did get up, built over the top of me and dropped down.

My tip (for what it's worth) is to be aware of where the majority of players will be all the time (and avoid it, or at least keep an eye on it). Playing in squads is interesting just to see what people do, and loads just want to put markers down on titled towers and get straight into a ruck. So if possible I try to get round to the back side of the circle (whichever side's furthest from where most players will have dropped). And when you see other players, for anything other than a definite kill, leave them. The longer nobody knows where you are the longer they spend killing each other, and I normally don't bother building if I think nobody'll see me if I'm hidden by terrain or behind cover.

I didn't know that about wood, Pistol, that's really useful :)

8 hours ago, Rowan Morrison said:

I only generally harvest wood, but that's basically an attempt to make my life easier by not having to switch materials.

There's an Auto Material Change option in the options menu to make your life even easier! It'll switch to your next available set of materials when you run out of the ones you're currently using.

Seeing some improvement in my play. Managed a 3rd place in Solo. 

My tactic for now is to stay out of trouble and scavenge as much ammo and wood as I can, whilst making my way inwards to the circle as it decreases. Then trying to pick off stragglers where I can. 

I am generally finishing in the Top 10 doing this, but still need to get to grips with switching between building and shooting, whilst keeping my aim. 

In my 3rd place above, I killed the person who was infront of me, but didn't switch weapons quick enough the the other person who was coming in. I could have built quickly to give myself room to manoeuvre but I panic and die.

I played a good chunk of coop with my Brother and @Barnard from here, great games:D

My bro is pretty good tbh.  I learnt some good pointers from him.  Offense is the way to go, it seems.  

Forcing yourself to drop into a busy location at the start of a round is a great way to get you immediate 'learning'.

spending 5 mins tooling up somewhere quiet, and then going in.. if I do that, I tend to die really quickly and don't really get to practice building and manoeuvring under pressure. 

3 minutes ago, robdood said:

I played a good chunk of coop with my Brother and PBardnard from here, whomever that is, I can't remember! :D

My bro is pretty good tbh.  I learnt some good pointers from him.  Offense is the way to go, it seems.  

Forcing yourself to drop into a busy location at the start of a round is a great way to get you immediate 'learning'.

spending 5 mins tooling up somewhere quiet, and then going in.. if I do that, I tend to die really quickly and don't really get to practice building and manoeuvring under pressure. 

Maybe that is something I should do for a bit.. head to Titled Towers straight away, hope I get tooled up and shoot as many people as possible before dying. Something to practice for a week before season 5 drops. 

16 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Maybe that is something I should do for a bit.. head to Titled Towers straight away, hope I get tooled up and shoot as many people as possible before dying. Something to practice for a week before season 5 drops. 

I find my biggest failure at the moment is basically panicking during every fight.  Doing the offensive approach is defo helping desensitise me to the chaos, if that makes sense!  I'm finding I'm getting a bit calmer and more confident to push / run people down. 

First solo win on Switch!

06F5A213-391B-4B55-841C-EC26A36981CF.thumb.jpeg.b4c6fe561029e554095db91a81091189.jpeg

That was heart stopping!

I got lucky with the circle forming on the high ground I had but I’d managed to dodge a sniper shot from the last guy and throw up a pop up fort (or whatever they’re called!). Then I lost track of him until he entered the bottom of it. I missed a couple of times and took some damage but finally downed him with dual legendary pistols. 

Finally a win! Five kills in a round too!

34 minutes ago, robdood said:

I find my biggest failure at the moment is basically panicking during every fight.  Doing the offensive approach is defo helping desensitise me to the chaos, if that makes sense!  I'm finding I'm getting a bit calmer and more confident to push / run people down. 

Gah, now I want the kids in bed, so I can get in and kill lots of people*!

Maybe 1-2 whilst dying 20 times myself. 

When I was new the best bit of advice was to drop into Retail and Plesant early on as you get loads of combat and get good at that, you will die a lot to begin with but then you will see an improvement - I have a Fortnite bro I play a lot of duos in and the day we dropped in was a massacre for a bit but we got our first duo win after and I’m sure the training led up to it!

When I discovered 50v50 I played a lot of that, figuring it was a chance to practice and have some support. But I think it's better to play solo, because you'll get into scraps sooner and you'll either die quickly or win, either of which is fine. In the larger team games you'll get a good selection of stuff, but by the time you meet the enemy you'll probably be up against seasoned veterans and you'll die, and it'll hurt more because of all the preparation you've done. I went back to solo the other night and got five kills, after game upon game of no kills in team mode. Back into 50v and by the time I died it was so hectic nobody had time to heal me. It was salvaged by one of my killers spraying a chalk body outline on the ground; I crawled into it for the final headshot, so at least I contributed something.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

I’ve had some funny death taunts when  downed - the best was a guy who  showed me a red card.

The emotes in the game have been so well  implemented.

Ive spent so much money on skins and emotes but not a regret, perfect free to play model and anything that lets me growl like a dinosaur as you win a game gets my money thrown at the screen!

This seems to crash more than any other game on Switch. It hardlocked my Switch today - first game to do it. 

I also had a go on my PS4 Pro and was surprised just how much better it looks on the One X. Higher resolution and better settings as well. 

I’ve never been into this like most. I dive into the heavily contested area and go at the free for all, guns blazing or axe swinging. To hell with sitting in a bush for twenty minutes after that. I wasn’t built for battle royale games.

So I just got my hands on the legendary sniper rifle with thermal scope for the first time. In tabletop mode on Switch, no less. I may have finally been converted...

Now, how do I get my hands on it each and every game? I’m willing to work towards the end game with that and a bush.

I regularly get sniper rifles, but I am useless with them. 

Had another 3rd place finish today, but this time I got 4 kills on the way (my best yet). 

1st kill was in a house two of us dropped into.
2nd was sneaking up on the player and shotgunning them. 

3rd I actually won a battle, but lost all my shield and most of my health. (I was able to medkit my health to 100%, but had no shield)

Got to the last few, killed one player with my minigun, but as I went round the corner I got suckered by yet another player, got them down to 3 health, but they were able to take me out. They then go on a few more seconds and kill one hiding behind a tree to win. I was so close. 

The 50/50 games last night have suddenly become generally upskilled since it first launched on the Switch.  I was buggering about on the outskirts of the map knocking off some of the challenges for a few ganmes and everytime I finally made my way to the middle there were numerous massive and insane forts mae by both teams.

On 01/07/2018 at 23:53, grindmouse said:

That was awesome! And we nearly had a Duo Victory too! (cackshot).

Great game! My first win on Switch! :D

My wife couldn't stop laughing when you were pushing us out of the storm in a shopping trolley! I failed to grasp the gravity of the situation at the end and just rushed in guns blazing, if I'd held back and blown up the tree they were hiding behind with a rocket launcher it could have been a different story.

I've managed a few 3rd place finished in solo now, I just always seem to come up against total badasses at that point and get slaughtered....

39 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Did anyone else on switch go in for the Battle Pass?

I’ve managed to get to level 60ish with a week to go - and earned enough V-Bucks for the season 5 pass. So for those that are wondering if it’s worth the pass, I’d say  absolutely if you’re gonna be level 50 or over by July 11th.

Yeah I took the plunge too! Think I'm up to about level 70!  :D   

The earnings are nice, if it continues at this rate it should be easy to keep myself BP'd up.

So long as I don't end up spending it on emotes. 

(I already spent it on emotes.  I am everything I hate) 

((Fresh Prince Carlton dance was too good not to get!))

Spoiler

giphy.gif

I do like getting all the cosmetic rewards too, though I've given up choosing and just set myself to random everything now. :ph34r:  Shame you can't mix and match the costumes / characters a bit more though! :(

First solo Victory Royale GET. 

I totally lucked out with the finish. Shame replays aren't a thing on Switch! Will write up a story later! :D

Playing lots of PC version has definitely sharpened my skills. 

39 minutes ago, robdood said:

First solo Victory Royale GET. 

I totally lucked out with the finish. Shame replays aren't a thing on Switch! Will write up a story later! :D

Playing lots of PC version has definitely sharpened my skills. 

Did you not use the video capture to get the last 30 seconds?

I daren’t post mine as it was so embarrassingly awful!

43 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Did you not use the video capture to get the last 30 seconds?

I daren’t post mine as it was so embarrassingly awful!

I totally forgot, was too intense! Haha 

• gospvg changed the title to Fortnite: Battle Royale - C2:S8 - Kevin is back
  • gospvg changed the title to Fortnite: Battle Royale - C2:S8 ends 4th December