IGNORED

"Entitlement"

Asura

If it's a big enough issue you fail cert, have to fix it and they start the whole process over again - when this happens you start to endanger manufacturing & retail dates.

So how come games like Fallout New Vegas got through certification without problems? The game falls apart even by looking at it sternly. Are larger publishers or "important titles" treated differently?

So how come games like Fallout New Vegas got through certification without problems? The game falls apart even by looking at it sternly. Are larger publishers or "important titles" treated differently?

To an extent, yes.

My favourite one was years ago when I'd just started working in codies QA and had been doing some of the TRC checks for ToCA 2: Touring Cars on the PSX. this had failed an early sub because the screen calibration menu had read "use the controller to position the screen", when it should have said "use the Directional button..." and I was verifying the fixes before final submission. anyway, having spent a day or so doing the various checks I thought I'd have a look at Gran Turismo 1 when I got home. I started by doing the easiest - the requirement is that when the player's controller is disconnected, the game has to go to the pause screen. this was a non-negotiable, top-level requirement. so I got going on Grand valley and yanked the controller. no pause, game just carried on regardless. One rule for us, another for Sony's own...

How about this one, this was posted 10 hours ago on Facebook as a comment to a 3DS post by Nintendo:

Tommy Robinson nintendo ive been with you since the nes ive bought every system since then and i still have them today im a big fan and ive never been mad at you until now ! you havent said 1 word on our gba ambassador games and other people already have them this is the worst thing youve ever done you disapointed one of your most loyal fans! i havent heard one word thats why im mad

Apart from an illiterate buffoon (as he owned a NES he should be old enough to know better), he's mad because he hasn't heard a word about the ambassador games (which are supposed to come out this year while there's still 2 weeks left) while all sites reported hours if not a couple of days before that they would be released today. Fool.

On reflection I think this thread is a little unfair to gamers as the general public are very similar.

"It's not just our sex hormones that complicate our lives and lead us to do things we may later regret. As group-living primates we are intensely sensitive to slights, to tiny differences in status, to favours given and returned, to omissions and snubs. Our responses to these things are not just based on calculation but powerful feeling, and they sometimes assume an importance out of proportion to anything our calculating brains can justify." - The Company of Strangers, Paul Seabright

The interweb facilitates the whinges of the over-sensitive and gullible. We see it in the news: someone takes offence to something that, in the scheme of things, is beyond trivial, and starts a campaign to Ban This Sort of Thing, to which people sign up in their hundreds by... retweeting a link or signing an online petition. Ghandi and the Suffragettes would have been proud, I'm sure.

I think gamers - any customers - are entitled to voice complaint if they are unhappy. Of course they are. They should complain if they are dissatisfied and want some kind of remedy. But it is the way some people complain, and some of the things they complain about; as if their very lives had been ruined, RUINED, because a game has been delayed by a week for example, or there is something available for $5 that they don't have to buy if they don't want to. That is what leads to this sense of entitlement - how people complain and what they complain about.

And yes, publishers have done some shitty things.