League improvement ideas - changes to be made added (post #52)

SaintM

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the meltdown of the Prem this season there is likely to be a fair amount of change next season as gaps need filling and other people leave etc. Add to that the subdued nature of the community over the last 6 months or so and I'd say we're at a good point for change to how the league works to be implemented, if needed.

I'm just interested in hearing ideas really. What do you think can be done to improve the 1v1 league?

To get the ball rolling, here are my own thoughts on what could improve things:

Cups

* Revert to straight knock-outs for the cup competitions. I've never really liked the group format and it takes a lot of work to maintain.

* Revert Cup qualification back to being based on league. I dunno about anyone else, but I've never really grasped the qualification process, and again it's extra work.

* Bring back live draws for the first round of the cups. I enjoyed doing them and I think it feels better to have the 'occasion' rather than just posting a list.

Team selection

* Teams on offer: It's been raised a couple of times, so it may have legs to change the order that leagues pick. So the bottom league picks their teams first, then the 2nd bottom league etc etc.

* Picking a team: I'm happy with the changes made for this season, but am not against some other way of doing it if people liked to. I feel player ratings are forever tarnished due to recent 'dramas', so maybe going back to 'first to post' would be fun.

League structure

* I'd like to reduce the size of the leagues to 10. It'd mean shorter seasons and thus the relative gap between the top and bottom teams should be smaller, leading to tighter leagues. Keep the 3 up and 3 down though.

Steering group

* Finally, I'd open the steering group for 2 or 3 people interested in driving how the league works, rather than it being a standard 'perk' of adminhood.

Good call. A fair few ideas I've had for a while:

* A strict formation for the season (i.e. everybody in the entire league has to use 4-3-3 or whatever)

* Strictly "All Out Attack" option set from Kick Off

* Zero tolerance on poor play (slide tackling last man, passing round the defence)

* A theme for every season (everybody has to play their defenders up front, everybody must field a team of a single nationality)

* We pick one league (i.e. The Spanish League) and every team is picked from that league

* Nobody is allowed to shoot inside the box

* Matches are set to 4/5 minutes instead of 7

Less snore, more score.

I think the idea of only being able to use standard formations was raised before. I liked that.

None of this 6 defenders and 4 strikers nonsense!

I do like the idea of themed picks set for each season too.

eg.

Prem - English

Champ - Spanish

L1 - Italian

L2 - French

Conf - German

Then that gets mixed up the following season..

I think the idea of only being able to use standard formations was raised before. I liked that.

None of this 6 defenders and 4 strikers nonsense!

This.

I do like the idea of themed picks set for each season too.

eg.

Prem - English

Champ - Spanish

L1 - Italian

L2 - French

Conf - German

Then that gets mixed up the following season..

This too.

Also, quite happy with the match lengths being 7 minutes a half.

Did the decline in the league go hand in hand with the pos/neg system? I really wish we could remove it from our little forum section, well maybe just the removal of the neg part and leave the pos.

I like he standard formation rule. The use a certain league rule has a flaw such as the Spanish league has real Madrid and barca, who are head and shoulders above the other teams. And in a league of people if similar ability it is a massive advantage! So it would need some way of negating that.

It's been mentioned before but some type of transfer system would certainly spice things up. It's just finding the way to have a fair system.

I liked the way the teams were picked this year. I'm not sure about nationalities for the leagues as you will end up with a mix of 5,4.5 and 4 star teams. Someone will be disadvantaged. Unless you do it in reverse order. I.e promoted team picks first last seasons team that missed out on promotion picks last.

Hate the idea of restricting formations and tactics. It's part of the game. If you are struggling to break a team down you change accordingly. 3 points for a win promotes positive

play.

* Use of default formations only

* Custom tactics allowed

* 5/6 minute matches

* Prem pick last

* Removal of pos/neg system in Football League folder

Would all have a positive effect to the league imo.

This list is pretty much perfect! I would do 6 min matches and Prem pick last every other season.

I don't really see how changing to 5 or 6 min halves would improve things.

I'd rather we didn't allow custom tactics as well as formations. Both can be exploited after all.

I'd love to get rid of the voting system (not it's biggest fan...) but I don't think it's gonna happen. There was talk of it being removed from the trading folder and that still hasn't happened, so as far as I know the ability to switch it off for a certain folder does not exist. It's a shame because it really adds fuck all to the forum (and takes a fair bit away) but the powers that be have decided it's staying and that is that :(

Good stuff so far though gents. Something for the admin group to mull over, for sure.

Wouldn't be a fan of removing custom formations, tactics and what not. It'd just put a lot more pressure on the team selection side of things as teams would be coveted for their tactical suitability - Barca are stats better, but Real Madrid are 'tactics' better out of the box - as well as their player-to-player quality. It's a system that has its extremes and is 'exploitable' as a result - Link shutting up shop last season in the Prem was a good example of this. It was 'realistic' but felt cheap - but for the most part its something that I always use - to varying success - to bend a team to my style of play. Chelsea this season are a good example of this, I've done a lot with player selection and with the tactics to make them a little pacier and a bit breakier, while also trying to compensate for things like Terry's lack of pace. If you took the system out completely, it would make seasons feel a lot more pre-determined from the off.

RE: the match length.

Shorter matches = less time to attempt a win. And it's default for ranked anyway. Never been entirely sure why it's 7 minutes? Trying to entice people to attack from the off is the only reason why I mentioned it.

Fundamentally, I think it's time to go back to basics and build up again. Pick a team, pick a formation, 6 min halves - GO!

Don't see why going to 6 minutes would make a big impact, but i do favour 7 min halves. I also enjoy custom formations and tactics, it's part of the game to get things set up right. What is the point of both teams just all out attacking the whole game, the league is supposed to be a tactical challenge as well as skill, maybe a rule of only 5 defenders including CDM's would suffice. Though on this version i haven't found any league opponents playing too defence, that might be because i know how to attack, we shouldn't change everything because some people find this version hard.

It's been mentioned before but some type of transfer system would certainly spice things up. It's just finding the way to have a fair system.

The transfer league we had in the summer was great. I'd love another bash at something like that.

Perhaps some kind of player auction? Maybe two/three rounds of sealed bids on nominated players then a final open auction to fill up the teams. Would have to be limited to divisions though, far too much admin otherwise.

My tournements never make it to the end! To be fair my complete lack of structure when it came to fixtures is more to blame than anything as a lot of people did get a lot of games played but all over the place. I had a job where I could get away with browsing all day but got a new job not long after it started where that went out the window. Kind of killed it!

Sorry pants I negged you with a fat thumb move :(

I liked the transfer league - thought it was quality. Shame it tapered off at the end so worth keeping an eye on next time. I do think it should be kept seperate from the main league as an occasional venture though (maybe each summer in between different versions of the game).