rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Moz

The Cabin in the woods

Saw this the other night and utterly loved it, though my friend was only so-so. That said, they revised their initial opinion as overly harsh the next day and said they'd warmed much more to it on reflection. Main thing is to go in blind, don't even watch that damn trailer. All I will say - in as vague a way as possible - is that as someone who has spent the odd dull afternoon at work trawling through the

SCP Wiki

the last twenty minutes were an absolute joy to behold.

Ulala, I'd never heard of that thing you spoilered, but I've just spent the last thirty minutes clicking random articles. It's AMAZING! Thank you!

Glad I avoided trailers and shit. Wasn't expecting where it went at all.

I was expecting just some playing around with the whole cabin scenario. From a couple of posters, maybe some Escher stuff and that sort of thing. Didn't expect the whole control room angle and it basically giving a reason for why the stuff in horror movies actually happens. Loved the havoc when shit let loose near the end.

Also, zombie hand FTW

• Upvote 1

Um, wasn't it the fact that they didn't complete the sacrifice that caused the apocalypse?

Yes, that's the point. It's not each country trying to stop a local apocalypse. Each one is trying to complete the sacrifice. They aren't really competing in a meaningful way. Just a sort of friendly rivalry, I suppose. Like making bets in the office. If any one of them succeeds, the world is saved. It doesn't matter if all but one fail, as long as one doesn't. If they all fail, goodbye world. At the start, everyone apart from Japan and the US had failed. Then Japan failed, leaving the US as the last hope.

Yes, that's the point. It's not each country trying to stop a local apocalypse. Each one is trying to complete the sacrifice. They aren't really competing in a meaningful way. Just a sort of friendly rivalry, I suppose. Like making bets in the office. If any one of them succeeds, the world is saved. It doesn't matter if all but one fail, as long as one doesn't. If they all fail, goodbye world. At the start, everyone apart from Japan and the US had failed. Then Japan failed, leaving the US as the last hope.

That was one very minor issue I had with the film - surely it's only America that follow the "5 character types" trope that the ritual required?

So although each country has their own elder god below, the ritual must fail in in all locations then all gods will rise? Are they linked somehow so that one successful ritual will satiate all the other gods worldwide?

So although each country has their own elder god below, the ritual must fail in in all locations then all gods will rise? Are they linked somehow so that one successful ritual will satiate all the other gods worldwide?

I wouldn't think of them as being linked to each country. They predate all that human bollocks. They are just a group of gods and they are happy to leave us alone as long as they get a proper sacrifice, doesn't matter who from.

One thing the

Cenobites and globe lament configuration were close enough for Mr Barker to have a that were my idea case, No?

He should be more concerned about the number of shit sequels.

That was one very minor issue I had with the film - surely it's only America that follow the "5 character types" trope that the ritual required?

Yes but I would imagine

that the criteria is different in each country - after all the Japanese ritual was the killing of children. It's because the American horrors always follow the 5 victim types.

Another thing

was the blood being drained into the lower levels the actual blood of the victims or more of a symbolic thing? The survival of Shaggy would seem to suggest the latter but surely the ancient ones wanted the blood of the five different personality types?

Another thing...

Did we actually see blood when he was got? I know they threw the switch but I don't remember the blood. There was definitely none on the Shaggy statue thing at the end.

This thread must be so much fun to read if you're not clicking the spoilers.

Nothing more to add than what's already been said previously; brilliant, brilliant film & I am so pleased I came into this thread at the beginning as I've avoided everything to do with the film ( apart from the poster! ).

Day one Blu-Ray purchase for sure, hoping for a very good directors commentary. :)

Just saw this tonight - I enjoyed it, not as much as others I suspect because I don't really care about horror films in general. I certainly didn't find this film scary in any way, but then I never do. Anyway, despite that, it was very enjoyable, almost entirely because of Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins.

I will say for anyone who's not seen it, and has heard all the "ooh don't have it spoiled, it'll blow your mind!" hype: 1) If you've seen a single trailer or advert for this film and have above basic intelligence you know what the "twist" is, and 2) It's not really that big a deal anyway, because it's set out from the very first moment of the film.

Just saw this tonight - I enjoyed it, not as much as others I suspect because I don't really care about horror films in general. I certainly didn't find this film scary in any way, but then I never do. Anyway, despite that, it was very enjoyable, almost entirely because of Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins.

I will say for anyone who's not seen it, and has heard all the "ooh don't have it spoiled, it'll blow your mind!" hype: 1) If you've seen a single trailer or advert for this film and have above basic intelligence you know what the "twist" is, and 2) It's not really that big a deal anyway, because it's set out from the very first moment of the film.

The no spoiler policy...

...isn't really to do with the 'twist' about the facility under the cabin (which isn't actually a twist at all, as it's spelled out from the start), but more to do with the completely bonkers brilliant was it plays out.

• Upvote 1

It was ok - not scary in the slightest and it never seemed to know what it wanted to be. Nods and winks to

the genre left, right and centre right and a few good laughs, but anyone thinking their mind is going to be blown might want to re-adjust their expectations going in.

A bit of a weird one for me this. From originally hearing about it I've been looking forward to it and now after seeing it I can still see there was a great idea in there. The genre deconstruction and the way it played out was great and the final third was brilliant. Luckily I'd only seen one trailer for it and I don't think they gave too much away. Maybe one shot -

where the stoner was in the lift should have been left out, as I was waiting for it to happen and knew it was going to be a pivotal point of the film.

The problem I have though is that it wasn't scary in the slightest, I didn't really invest in any of the characters as none of them were really likeable, so I didn't care what happened to them and the humour was so poor it was embarrassing in places.

To top it all off the Cineworld I watched it at played the film far too dark with the sound barely audible and the VIP box we were in stunk of sweaty teenagers.

Overall though I enjoyed parts of it, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting it it be.

3/5

Really enjoyed this and the ideas that were played around with. Didn't like the last fifteen minutes thought it lacked a great ending.

Bluray pickup for sure

I thought it was highly entertaining.

The use of Sigourney was a nice touch, but I couldn't help but think that it was a shame they didn't get Jamie Lee Curtis, she was pretty much the original survivor girl and fits the 'Virgin' archetype much better than Ripley.

Also, echoing other comments, it was disappointing that we didn't get a full blown Cthulhu reveal given all the other thinly veiled references, especially since he's public domain.

Unsure/5

Difficult movie to discuss without spoiling it massively. I'd say it's got lots of nice moments and scenes, but the contrast between humour/tension is too great. Certainly a film that's less than the sum of it's parts - I enjoyed it throughout, but don't think I'd ever watch again.

It was quite clever, and while lines where good - I never really cared about any of the characters. I know they're meant to be sterotypes but I expected more, and I've been impressed with the actors/actresses before. Was fun to play "spot who's been in Weadon show before" though

I don't think it's quite as "clever" or "genre-breaking" as it intended. Scream, for example, was much better at breaking the mold in a self-referential way.

Saw this on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately I'd already seen the trailer so kind of knew what to expect, but even so it was still brilliant.

Didn't take itself too seriously - it was just good old fashioned fun horror. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a horror/scary movie as much as that.

I saw this yesterday and loved it too. Didn't know anything about it at all, other than the poster looking a bit like it might be a cabin horror version of Cube. Lots of smug, knowing jokes and fun references all around. I kinda would have liked more tense cabin horror sections before it changed pace, but I enjoyed it all anyway.

The scene with all the armed guards getting mauled by all manner of horror beasts was fantastic comedy mayhem. What's not to like?

I did think though that the stoner had unwittingly completed the sacrifice though, by knocking Weaver as the fool and the young redneck girl as the virgin into the pit. I guess that huge hand meant no. Wouldn't have made a difference if 'the virgin' had killed marty anyway, would it? Since she wasn't a virgin? Or is that aspect one which changes based on cultural ideals of the time, and suffering/youth is the only real criteria? In which case I guess Sigourney Weaver wouldn't count.

The scene with all the armed guards getting mauled by all manner of horror beasts was fantastic comedy mayhem. What's not to like?

I did think though that the stoner had unwittingly completed the sacrifice though, by knocking Weaver as the fool and the young redneck girl as the virgin into the pit. I guess that huge hand meant no. Wouldn't have made a difference if 'the virgin' had killed marty anyway, would it? Since she wasn't a virgin? Or is that aspect one which changes based on cultural ideals of the time, and suffering/youth is the only real criteria? In which case I guess Sigourney Weaver wouldn't count.

I'm sure there are many holes that can be picked in the plot if you want to find them; the way I looked at it was this -

The American version of the sacrifice had to be the "5 stereotypes" with the film even acknowledging that finding a virgin is a tall order these days so they'll make do with the next best thing. That suggests therefore that it's less to do with the specific needs of the Elder God below and more to do with the belief of the Sacrificers, that they have completed the ritual in the correct way. As long as they kill the 5, in order, with a certain degree of suffering then they believe the ritual complete and the Elder stays sleeping. In this case, they fail (as do the other stations) and out it comes. I will agree though that I was dissapointed that the "hand" was human in appearence. Would have been nice to have seen a giant claw or tentacle or something.

Yeah I watched it yesterday. Very "buffy/angel" like.

I did enjoy it although perhaps it didnt live up to the hype (does anything?!?) . Still ill look forward to the blu ray release.

I also thought some scenes were far too dark.

I saw this yesterday and loved it too. Didn't know anything about it at all, other than the poster looking a bit like it might be a cabin horror version of Cube. Lots of smug, knowing jokes and fun references all around. I kinda would have liked more tense cabin horror sections before it changed pace, but I enjoyed it all anyway.

Rage.

Rage.

Ha; I thought you wanted to see it on friday? I assumed you would have gone anyway. Also, I saw it on a whim on Sunday, such is my whimsy.

Also also, Phil is in it; stoned as usual.