The Last Of Us

Moz

Has anyone got into the multiplayer? I've tried it but found it has quite a steep learning curve. It all seemed to work really solidly though and I'd like to get into it properly if anyone is up for some games.

Some of the default starting classes (assault / sniper etc.) are really good and give you access to better weapons/perks right from the start

I found it really tough early on as the temptation is to do custom loadouts

Patch notes

Single player

Texture of a phone number on a bulletin board changed

Apparently one of the numbers on a billboard was a real telephone sex line

Multiplayer

Technical

Host migration has been improved. Losing connection to the host during a migration should occur less often

General crash when leaving multiplayer fixed

Intro camera fix for some introductory cut-scenes

Connectivity issues while playing have been tuned

If you disconnect or lose connection to the host, you will no longer advance a clan day. You will only advance a day if you are kicked from the match, or exit through the menu

Gameplay

Explosion Expert level 2 should be selectable now

The voting time for match selection has been reduced to 15 seconds

No party playlist options have been added to both Supply Raid and Survivors, players can only join this playlist solo

Melee against a downed character now uses the same range as normal melee

No party mode is a great addition, hopefully will stop getting steamrollered when playing solo

And done.

The last level was one of the strongest for combat, lots of tactical planning and mixing up your techniques required to get through it. A most satisfying blend of stealth, melee, gunplay, and straight-up ultra violence. I'm sure the game keeps throwing new execution animations at you right up until the end. I saw some really brutal and intense finishers in that last level, the detail is astonishing in places.

The ending was amazingly well handled, completely free of cliché, unpredictable and genuinely moving. Hard to believe that these aren't real people.

Some of my friends are in a pub beer garden today, others are at Glastonbury - I'm about to watch the documentary about this game on my iPad in a dark room and start NG+ immediately.

Not quite game of the generation (hello Dark Souls) but very, very close.

Conversely, I hated the final level with a passion. Aside from the opening which was great, once you get to

the hospital, id had enough. I loved the slow start, the giraffe scene was fantastic. The tunnels full of clickers was tense, atmospheric, and great fun. But the combat areas in the hospital just pissed me off. So much of the games established rules just don't fly any more. Brick/bottles no longer stun, arrows aren't 1hk anymore, and headshots aren't a 1hk And if your cover is blown you may aswell just restart, (on hard difficulty) cause you sure as fuck aren't surviving an bunch of dudes opening fire with assault rifles. The whole area looks the exact same so without a waypoint I just kept going round in circles til I stumbled on the exit. And then when you clear the first combat room, the 2nd one is almost insultingly easy to get through as you can literally just walk up the right hand side of it without alerting anyone

Overall it was a very enjoyable game, but the last level spoiled it for me somewhat and I was disappointed with that ending too.

Overall it was a very enjoyable game, but the last level spoiled it for me somewhat and I was disappointed with that ending too.

I really do think this has the best ending of any videogame ever. Maybe reflect upon it a while. It's (for a game) extremely subtle - its import is contained in the characters, in what they've become, and what they imply rather than say outright. It's all show-don't-tell, but it's as devastating an ending as a nuke going off.

Currently upto the Horse riding part on my Survivor + run through. Found every collectable and Shiv door so far. Can't get enough of this game. Can even see myself going through it a third time to mop up the remaining single player trophies should I miss any on this run through

Just finished it.

Although there were a few things in the narrative that I honestly didn't agree with, I don't think I've been so invested in characters and their story, from a gaming perspective, in quite some time.

I didn't really opt for stealth over combat or vice versa. I used stealth with human enemies a lot more than clickers, though. I found the combat to be well formed and gritty, with some of the melee weapons being glorious to unleash. Some truly 'heart in throat' moments.

If I was to nitpick anything, it's that...

At the time, I thought that Joel should have died from his wound. I actually thought that he was dead, up until Ellie jumps at the chance to trade the deer for medicine. That would have altered the schematics of the game significantly, IMO and made whatever possible outcome that more braver, with Ellie having to fend for herself and even being responsible for her own fate.

Soon got over it, though.

I completed this yesterday. It got better as it went on, wasn't a big fan of the first half, but the second got me big time. I mixed it up with my combat and stealth, trying stealth, but not being afraid of a fight if things went badly. Also wasn't afraid to leg it to the next checkpoint if things got desperate.

I didn't like the sections indoors as much as the outdoor areas, great game overall, but not quite as good as some are making out.

So wasn't going to get this due to home move, but since my final power bill was only £10 I used the money I had put aside for that to get it. Enjoying the game and the tense atmosphere and GOOD GOD that opening! Looking forward to the rest.

What's that thing in games

where someone can get shot during gameplay and survive but if it's in a cutscene, it's fatal?

(the vaguest of vague spoiler allusions)

The Last Of Us, for all its excellent storytelling, pretty much has that. The "it was all a dream" of game narrative.

That would be Gameplay and Story Segregation, according to TV Tropes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation

Anywho, JESUS this is intense. Just had my first 2 encounters with the Clickers. Died like 4-5 times trying to make my way past the first. Thank God for Shivs. Also turns out Deadpool is the perfect game to play alongside this, as when this gets too intense, I can stick on Deadpool and enjoy the fart jokes.

where someone can get shot during gameplay and survive but if it's in a cutscene, it's fatal?

The Last Of Us, for all its excellent storytelling, pretty much has that. The "it was all a dream" of game narrative.

Yeah they should have filmed the 383928292 permeatations possible depending on if any character died in any gameplay section. Lazy really.

Looks like the EU multiplayer has been censored in comparison to the US version. It's thought to be due to Germany, as per usual. I really hate this overall censoring of games due to certain countries. Fuck them, give them the censored version and leave everyone else alone.

Just finished this. I know everyone prefers the second half, as do I, but I can't recall the last time I did such a 180 on a game. There's a part early on where it makes you kill about five infected on your own and it's the first time you've had to do anything like it - I died a dozen times or so and genuinely considered turning it off and selling it thinking if this was how it was at the start I'd get crazy frustrated later. Got past that bit, and the wee bit after, and something drew me back the next day and gradually it won me over. I was playing an hour at a time, finding it too tense and stopping, then being drawn back half an hour later. Reminded me of RE4 as that's exactly how I played that first time. The last level wasn't the highlight but the ending made up for it.

I think this might be my favourite Western-developed game this gen, I can't think of anything else I've enjoyed so much that wasn't suffixed by Souls, Golden or had Dhalsim in it.

The last room(s) were fucking brilliant and tense.

I've avoided this thread like a plague but last night I didn't realize I was playing the last room.

My girlfriend was with me, not in the mood to do anything much so I invited her to watch alongside me.

I think it took me an hour and a half to get to the end, only dying 3 times. It was one of the best videogame-experiences I've ever had in my life and sharing it with my sweetie was quite something. Although she's not into videogames at all, she has an open mind about them & it was just staggering how she changed from tired & not-knowing-what-to-do-because-not-feeling-like-doing-anything to completely engulfed in the action & screaming & shouting RUN FOR IT, KILL THE FUCKER etc etc etc... Suggestions about how to proceed flowing back and forth between us both, with tension rising and subsiding whilst the music punctuated all these moments.

Just fucking brilliant. <3

It IS a 10/10, just because of those last 2 hours.

Best game I've played since Mario 64. I genuinely think it's taken the craft of making games to an entirely new level of quality certainly, and in some cases ambition.

Completed it 4am this morning. Went out in the garden for a cigarette and a whiskey afterwards to let the brilliance of it all sink in and it was just a lovely feeling.

As a developer working on a AAA title I found it all genuinely inspiring and feel properly excited to have Naughty Dog represent the whole medium as the current industry leaders.

They have caught lightning in a bottle.

When is the hype due to die down for this one like with Bioshock Infinite? It will be nice when there can be measured conversations about this.

the conversations are measured . It's just that for most people here that have played it, it is a thing of sheer brilliance.

Then why does it seem that you cannot level criticisms towards the game without it being painted that you're saying it is absolutely dreadful? Or being unreasonable when the same criticisms are levelled against other games with no comment?

I played it and enjoyed it but can see where it is not perfect. Is it not worthwhile to discuss these parts instead of blanket everything with "amazing, masterpiece" which, after a while, just becomes noise?

Then why does it seem that you cannot level criticisms towards the game without it being painted that you're saying it is absolutely dreadful? Or being unreasonable when the same criticisms are levelled against other games with no comment?

I played it and enjoyed it but can see where it is not perfect. Is it not worthwhile to discuss these parts instead of blanket everything with "amazing, masterpiece" which, after a while, just becomes noise?

To be fair what you said can be applied to all games with combat and story. Realistically people can die with a single gun shot. That might not work for good game design, there has to be a compromise between realism/logic/gameplay. It's pretty obvious why you don't die from a single shot in gameplay or why it would be fatal. Because it would be really frustrating or the game design would have to be completely different.

I don't get why people find this an issue? It's a videogame after all - If it was ultra realistic and you did die with one shot like people do in cutscenes then who would enjoy that?

I wasn't arguing for gameplay damages to be made more realistic but was observing that The Last of Us still relied on that crutch of having cutscene damage be permanent.

Or that they still rely on waist-high cover which can be explained in the gameplay world (fights have happened before so people have used cover) but every piece of environment used as cover is the same height (eg. just high enough) and shape.

Perhaps The Last of Us is the optimal representation of these standard gameplay tropes but I would have hoped the "game of the generation" would be one that overcomes or at least challenges them. The game design is amazingly safe, no matter how polished it is (and I agree it is).