The Last Of Us

Moz

I might step on a few toes here, but where is this the "10" in this? Is it purely because "omg dramatic story with the grim reality of survival" factor? As a form of entertainment, it fails to impress let alone entertain me. It is the combination of terrible balance (on Hard), below par AI and just plain daft combat design (you get hit by a bullet and stumble, during the stumble you get hit by a bullet and stumble again until you are dead).

Very underwhelmed by this.

I played it on Hard and found the balance just fine, don't recall anything that happened which wasn't my fault. The combat also punishes you, especially on Hard. Distract, move, take them out. You have to choose every move you make VERY carefully because it's a game which actually punishes you for the mistakes you make. You'll also get more combat options the more you play too which makes the encounters more exciting the more you play.

To add a bit more detail, a lot of your deaths will probably come from Clickers or at least infected. The thing to remember with those encounters is that there's 3 types - Runners, Stalkers and Clickers. Runners and Stalkers can cause you the most problems when they are all mixed together because they can see you (and hence set off the Clickers). Always try to take them out first, it requires a bit of maneouvring, shiving and strangling (you can strangle runners and only shiv Stalkers/Clickers). I'm genuinely not being condescending here - Runners and Stalkers are bastards. Always concentrate on them first and use molotovs, arrows, strangling and shiving to take them out. It makes your life muuuuuuch easier. Clickers by themselves are generally quite easy to distract and move them out of the way though however, I don't think they have a set pathway to walk so always keep a close eye on them.

Finished.

Where to begin?

I'd say when Naughty Dog had a type of gamer in mind for this it was probably me. I'm a total pussy when it comes to stealth games. The tension drives me mad and I take huge pleasure in the release of being spotted and having to fight my way out by any means necessary. That's how every encounter went down and I loved every single one (well maybe not the initial clicker runner room...man, that seems like a lifetime ago). I started listing my highlights, but there are just too many...possibly working my way through the snow storm as both characters and actually feeling what they both were going through at that moment. Naughty Dog played me at every step. At the start of Spring I walked over to the bus poster for the Zoo with the giraffes on it expecting them to have a little chat, Joel ask if she knew what they were and Ellie call him an idiot or something. Was really disappointed that there was no audio exchange, then...just wow. There were loads of these moments when the game seemed to know what I was thinking or what I was going to do and would completely play me. An example near the end really made me chuckle. After coming up against the heavily armed firefly squad and only having a handful of pistol bullets I was forced to stealth kill them for their weapon and ammo. It took me a while and I was starting to think this was the slowest rescue attempt in the history of heroics, eventually I had a machine gun with a full clip. I was once again back in a position to go balls out in a fire fight. Suddenly three soldiers run right past me, but instead of letting them pass I got caught up in the moment and gunned them all down wasting every hard won bullet in a rage of hot lead. And I'd do it again I tells ya! You see, totally played.

Also loved finding stuff like this...

2dcq.jpg

Just a total joy and one that makes me so glad I play videogames as I'd hate to miss out on an experience like this.

R

UN

YOU

RENEA

RLYTHE

REDONT

To think I used to respect you, Naughty Dog.

Just started playing today, its the first PS3 game I've ever played and visually I find it stunning, I'm very impressed. I started playing on hard as (If I remember correctly) there are two harder options than that so I thought playing on hard would be my best bet, I'm finding it pretty nails so far, dying a hell of a lot (I'm probably 3 hours in). Although a lot of it is me fumbling and pressing the wrong buttons as I'm not used to the controller rather than the game actually being hard ! Really looking forward to having a whole day tomorrow with no plans so I can give this a proper go.

Next up: Uncharted 2.

Playing it on Hard without any of the aids (apart from melee prompts) is not something I recommend, ever. As good Naughty Dog are on a technical level, they can not balance a game if their lives depended on it. I have had more "really!?" moments in The Last of Us than in inFamous 2 on Hard, and the latter was the prime example of balance gone wrong.

I presume I am about half way, and I have to say, the 7.5 from Polygon starts making more sense.

Perhaps they should only have normal and easy. Normal seems fine (but then, on story based games I tend to avoid hard mode, on the assumption that they're mostly "balanced" for normal. The exception being Halo, and that's more to do with the number of hours spent playing it in the last decade).

Same here, Hard with "listen" disabled was perfect for my playstyle. I'm a scavenger in games and ransack every single room I can find, and it really rewarded me here with just enough upgrades and items to make it through, while still being challenging and needing some strategy at the same time. To be honest, I wouldn't enjoy this kinda game anywhere near as much if the combat was a walk in the park, as the toughness goes hand in hand with the setting and atmosphere and matches it perfectly, just like ZombiU.

Well, it's over. Great story, unsurpassed acting and chemistry between the characters, haunting visuals and sound, and I found the gameplay on Hard to be pretty well balanced for me. (I reckon it'd be perfectly doable on Survivor, though - I did end up with tons of supplies left over. Hadn't even bothered to upgrade a load of Joel's stats that I had the wherewithal to do, which is a bit wasteful if I ever did NG+, though that's doubtful.)

It's not without its flaws, and by the end I thought it had perhaps gone on just a little too long - the last combat section was good in itself, but I'd started to tire a little of the mechanics by then. I felt they'd taken it as far as it could go (the gameplay, not the story/characters) by about 85% of the way through. Aside from that, and a few niggles already mentioned, it was pretty much the perfect story-driven action game. I honestly can't see how ND are going to better it, apart from technically. And, yeah, great ending. So like Soong says, they can do them after all.

Probably the best big console game of this generation, and beyond that the most mature treatment of its themes I've seen in any game, with unsurpassed writing and acting. The subtle and ambiguous shifts in Joel's morality were particularly impressive, building on what I thought, right from the opening scenes, was a significant character flaw in the man, but one which fuelled his astonishing ability to survive. It's a brutal, selfish game, but one which recognises that people are composed of seemingly contradictory elements, and by the end the narrative is concluded so subtly that you can't help but be impressed by the perfect integration of horrendous violence and sympathetic agents: at last, ND have achieved that convincing unity of gameplay and character. It's only now, after the last scene's played in my mind for a while, that I realise the Polygon reviewer whose 7.5 I mentioned a week or so before the game came out has entirely missed the point. This is a convincing a 'game' as you will ever get.

I think maybe we've been spoilt by this one, lads. It must have cost a ridiculous amount of money and resources to make, not to say talent. Can they really afford to equal or surpass it on PS4, even if they are capable of it?

I bloody well hope so. Perfect end to a generation.

Just finished it.

The bit where Ellie's new friend says that so many of his men had been killed by a mad-man with a little girl in tow... I felt some real weight of consequence there! My in-game actions had brought about the direction of the plot.

Superlative writing. That element just couldn't have been done in any other medium.

I never heard a hunter shout "I know that sound!" and charge at me when I had to reload though. I also don't recall Ellie ever throwing a brick/bottle at someone to stun them for me, but it's been close to that E3 demo level of quality certainly.

Maybe you're just caught up in the action to notice? I've seen her do it several times and I'm only at 43% 9 hours in. It's saved my bacon more than once too, just giving me time to leg it or reload or to run in and beat the living shit out of them.

82% complete now and fuck me people were right when they said it just keeps getting better and better!

Winter Spoiler

Wasn't prepared for Joel's injury to have such an effect on me! Thought the escape from the Uni campus was handled perfectly.. and loved the Ellie Hunting section that followed (even though I rushed through it just to find out if Joel was actually okay)

Planning on finishing the rest in one sitting this evening.. What a journey it's been! :wub:

The NeoGAF thread for this is a goldmine if you're a fan of watching the effects of cognitive dissonance, with respect to opinions which differ from Metacritic averages. This was said of someone who wrote a mixed review:

....he just can't handle the reality of the world they created, and is trying his hardest to reject it.

Someone else reckons:

...there is something wrong with them that is stopping them from enjoying the game, there is nothing wrong with the game itself.

:huh:

I'm not sure how many people are aware of this (I wasn't) but Naughty Dog actually split into two teams back in 2011 with the new, second team working on The Last of Us. That means that they can effectively work on two games at once and means we might not be that far away from another Naughty Dog game give that Uncharted 3 released in 2011.

I started playing Uncharted 3 after completing The Last of Us and I personally don't think it was anywhere near as good. By the end of the game I'd killed around 800 people - that's a staggeringly high number imo, especially for an 8 hour game. I'm still interested in what both Naughty Dog teams do of course, but I do wonder what the first team has been up to since the release of Uncharted 3.

I started playing Uncharted 3 after completing The Last of Us and I personally don't think it was anywhere near as good. By the end of the game I'd killed around 800 people - that's a staggeringly high number imo, especially for an 8 hour game. I'm still interested in what both Naughty Dog teams do of course, but I do wonder what the first team has been up to since the release of Uncharted 3.

UNCHARTED 4?!!!!

I'm not sure how many people are aware of this (I wasn't) but Naughty Dog actually split into two teams back in 2011 with the new, second team working on The Last of Us. That means that they can effectively work on two games at once and means we might not be that far away from another Naughty Dog game give that Uncharted 3 released in 2011.

Uncharted 3 was made by the B-Team, The Last of Us the A. I don't really want to see another Uncharted by the B-Team.

It's only now, after the last scene's played in my mind for a while, that I realise the Polygon reviewer whose 7.5 I mentioned a week or so before the game came out has entirely missed the point.

I think that is very unfair to say that someone, who gave the game a score that is well above average, is missing the point.

I would hope that any future Uncharted titles would be handed over to other developers. With each console generation Naughty Dog have delivered a new IP and I would like to see that continue. Besides, playing Uncharted 3 after The Last of Us (yay PS Plus!) really shows how inferior Uncharted 3 (and to a lesser extent the other titles in the series) is. It doesn't encourage you to study and immerse yourself in the environments like TLOU does, and the combat lacks the feeling of weight and reaction. If you don't connect with a headshot enemies don't even react to bullets and they've upped the ante to such an extreme that I feel like there's nowhere else to go. The immersion in TLOU is so much greater, one moment had my heart in my mouth with shock and had you transplanted it into Uncharted it would have been a minor moment almost unworthy of mention*

Unless Uncharted 4 is about Drake coming to terms with a world post-Cordyceps infection (seeing as the Easter Egg in 3 can allude to them taking place in the same world).

The fall off the balcony in the University section. It's a properly shocking moment plays out wonderfully and is dramatic as all hell. Nathan Drake probably suffers a fall like that getting out of bed every morning.