The Last Of Us

Moz

6 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

It's meant to be cumbersome and slow.  You're a broken down, ageing apocalypse survivor, not the usual one man army you play in video games.  It improves to an extent in terms of upgrading stats and weapons but combat always remains clunky, heavy, desperate and brutal. That's the point.

I'm playing through this again with the intent of going straight into the sequel afterwards.

that or the input lag makes it feel that way!!

7 hours ago, spanx said:

I’ve tried again after a seven year gap where I abandoned it somewhere late on in Bills Town god being unfairly difficult, but loving it to the point I’m certainly buying part two afterwards

Hide contents

Made it to the university. The whole Pittsburgh, sewers and suburbs section was really excellent. My girlfriend and I were :O at the demise of Henry and Sam

No idea how far in/left to go. More than 50%?

The best is still to come. 

On 21/06/2020 at 15:28, Raoull duke said:

The best is still to come. 

you were not wrong

Spoiler

The whole segment in winter was really well done. I thought David might be a wrongun from the first moment, but man the whole bit was so well done. This bit straight after with the giraffes was a lovely pay off in terms of some light after all that darkness

Stuck in a tunnel now with a butt load of bloaters. 

Cant wait to finish and get my teeth in to part two. 

Fudging hell this bit in 

Spoiler

The hospital is a bastard. My sneaking skills aren’t good enough, and there’s so many soldiers. I can’t hit a wall at what I assume is nearly the end. Just tried about ten times and got annihilated every time :(

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Fudging hell this bit in 

Hide contents

The hospital is a bastard. My sneaking skills aren’t good enough, and there’s so many soldiers. I can’t hit a wall at what I assume is nearly the end. Just tried about ten times and got annihilated every time :(

It’s tough but it’s doable. Iirc, focusing on taking out the right most soldiers is key to making inroads into that corridor. 

I spent ages there too before finally making progress. And sometimes it’s fine to just lob molotovs at them. 

Ha, exactly the spot I was moaning about a week or two back. My advice if you want it...

Spoiler

from the start of the checkpoint, poke yourself around the corner and shoot down the corridor, long distance. Short controlled headshots. They won't move or be much cop at firing back. Once two or three are down, sneak down the righthand side, stealthing anyone who remains. Then if anyone's left at the end of the corridor, lob a molotov/nailbomb or two just to be sure. :)

Well, I just bought some of those Sony platinum headphones (because despite me loving my Sennhaiser ones, they are absolutely rubbish when it comes to shoving them through the TV). 

This was my first experience of 7.1 surround sound (or at least a vague equivalent of it!).

It's bloody terrifying and I want to go home.

6 hours ago, JoeK said:

Well, I just bought some of those Sony platinum headphones (because despite me loving my Sennhaiser ones, they are absolutely rubbish when it comes to shoving them through the TV). 

This was my first experience of 7.1 surround sound (or at least a vague equivalent of it!).

It's bloody terrifying and I want to go home.

Do you think they're comfortable? I got a pair but found that the rubber band cut into my fat head too much, so I had to sell them on and went back to my much more cushioned Gold set.

16 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Do you think they're comfortable? I got a pair but found that the rubber band cut into my fat head too much, so I had to sell them on and went back to my much more cushioned Gold set.

They seem fine so far, although I guess I’ve only had them on for a couple of hours all told. But aside from the ear cushioning getting a little hot (faux leather of course), they seem fine.

My only concern is going to be the serious doubts of whether they’ll be compatible with the PS5 or if they’ll be relegated to just stereo!

Did it!!!

What an ending. Jesus. 

Spoiler

I think I learned more about combat and using tools properly more in that last point than at any other. Drawing people out, isolating them, using smoke grenades and misdirection made the fight quite easy in the end. Just had to learn fifteen ways not to do it first. 

Part Two downloading now. Excited

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

Given the news about Horizon, do we think this will ever come to PC?

I'm hoping so and it's follow up. Although I've been watching a play through of the second one and on par think I would have found the first the better of the two. Guess it was all a bit fresher then perhaps. 

16 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

@spanx

Nice one! What did you make of the ending? Feel free to use spoiler tags! 

My misses and I loved the story throughout, but the end was quite shocking

Spoiler

Shot the doctor, but spared the two cowering ones as I didn’t feel it was “in character”. But the deceit and unfeeling killing of Marlene was quite hard to take and made me realise Joel had kind of lost it. 

Loved Ellie’s OK at the end. Yeah, she had the measure of him  

1 minute ago, spanx said:

My misses and I loved the story throughout, but the end was quite shocking

Reveal hidden contents

Shot the doctor, but spared the two cowering ones as I didn’t feel it was “in character”. But the deceit and unfeeling killing of Marlene was quite hard to take and made me realise Joel had kind of lost it. 

Loved Ellie’s OK at the end. Yeah, she had the measure of him  

Onto the second game with you! :D

I couldn't agree more @spanx. Could I recommend the Left Behind DLC, as well, before the sequel? It's short, few hours, but substantial and enriches the characters even further. It's a legit top tier canonical DLC. 

Oh, just seen your post. Probably doable after the second game, anyway, I guess. 

1 minute ago, Stanshall said:

I couldn't agree more @spanx. Could I recommend the Left Behind DLC, as well, before the sequel? It's short, few hours, but substantial and enriches the characters even further. It's a legit top tier canonical DLC. 

Ah bugger forgot about that. Yeah I should give it a blast really. 

I'd recommend playing Left Behind first, too, for the reasons that Stanshall mentions, but also because the combat and stealth, and pretty much everything else, is such a step up in 2 that I think if you go back to Left Behind after playing it you might find it a bit disappointing by comparison. It's only a couple of hours long, but it's great.

What am I doing wrong?

I haven’t had much chance to play it, but I’m up to the bit where we leave Tess and have to escape out of the building and it’s just so infuriating. It feels like total trial and error gameplay and as soon as you’re spotted that’s that. My guns seem massively ineffective, so that combined with practically zero ammo seems like a no go. Sneaking around trying to take the guards out in the dark is a nightmare, as choking them out takes so long another one always spots me and starts shooting.

I’m just really not enjoying it at all at the moment, but I’m convinced I must be doing something wrong with all the praise it gets and I don’t want to miss out if it drastically improves round the next corner.

Help me RLLMUK!

It's very idiosyncratic.  You have to learn how to play The Last of Us how The Last of Us wants you to play it.  Just have patience, young one - or choose not to, and miss out on one of the best games ever.  I'm one of the most easily infuriated people you'll ever meet and if I can manage it...

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

What am I doing wrong?

I haven’t had much chance to play it, but I’m up to the bit where we leave Tess and have to escape out of the building and it’s just so infuriating. It feels like total trial and error gameplay and as soon as you’re spotted that’s that. My guns seem massively ineffective, so that combined with practically zero ammo seems like a no go. Sneaking around trying to take the guards out in the dark is a nightmare, as choking them out takes so long another one always spots me and starts shooting.

I’m just really not enjoying it at all at the moment, but I’m convinced I must be doing something wrong with all the praise it gets and I don’t want to miss out if it drastically improves round the next corner.

Help me RLLMUK!

Lower the difficulty level and just go wild for the story? 

55 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

It's very idiosyncratic.  You have to learn how to play The Last of Us how The Last of Us wants you to play it.  Just have patience, young one - or choose not to, and miss out on one of the best games ever.  I'm one of the most easily infuriated people you'll ever meet and if I can manage it...

I’ll keep at it. Hopefully I’ll get it at some point.

@JoeK I’m already on normal! It just feels as soon as the enemies see me, it’s game over.

@teddymeow Ah yeah, that’s more like it. I knew I’d forgotten something. That should be a big help.