The Last Of Us

Moz

Generally I think the checkpoints in LoU are pretty good, they happen fairly often which stops me rage-quitting as stealth games aren't my specialty and there is nothing worse than having to repeat a lengthy section over & over.

As Soulstar says learning the enemy locations (+ spawn points) is paramount which is why it is probably best to play the game with listenmode active and then go on a higher difficulty for the next playthrough.

1 minute ago, Andy XC said:

Generally I think the checkpoints in LoU are pretty good, they happen fairly often which stops me rage-quitting as stealth games aren't my specialty and there is nothing worse than having to repeat a lengthy section over & over.

As Soulstar says learning the enemy locations (+ spawn points) is paramount which is why it is probably best to play the game with listenmode active and then go on a higher difficulty for the next playthrough.

I agree they are very good in general, they tend to happen after you have taken someone down without being seen, but this can sometimes lead to awkward restarts. In one section I took a guy down and was spotted one second later by three guys who ran straight at me, all guns blazing. The restart kept putting me right in the headlights of the 3 guys. Otherwise it was well implemented, as the thought of re-playing sections in their entirety would have had me switching off. 

• 2 months later...

And also, don't be put off by the first half - the opening is just great but after that it takes a little time to get used to the mechanics, the sneaking, the fighting. It'll start coming together, and then... my God... it just soars like no other. And then, when you think it can't get any more butt-clenchingly exciting, it does.

Basically, stick with it to understand why people like me just can't shut up about it.

And play the DLC after.

And the soundtrack is on spotify.

And the comic is pretty great.

So the thing at I'm worse at in games, even more so than aiming a weapon, is sneaking. 

Lol. 

Fox: "Yeah, I was surprised you wanted to play this seeing as there was so much sneaking involved" as I furiously reload. Fuck clickers. 

But actually, it's not that bad. I mostly get frustrated with sneaking when the rules are really woolly. With this it's "these guys can hear you, these guys can see you, these guys ignore flashlights, stick this knife here, throw that brick there.." I'm doing okay.

And when in doubt.....MOLOTOOOOVVVV!!!

Only complaint so far is there are lots of lovely areas I don't seem to need to go. It'd be nice to find some loot by the pretty puddle with wild flowers around it over in the corner, just to give a reason to wander over there. 

• 9 months later...

Seriously, fuck this. The intro did a great job setting the tone and atmosphere but the game has been massively underwhelming so far. A shame since it's one I've anticipated playing (and even avoided all spoilers) for a while. I mean, who thinks the 'pick up plank, slooowly walk to the wall, place against the wall, climb wall' thing is ever any good to play through?

I really don't get the Resi 4 comparisons in regards to the combat. This game has nowhere near the oomph that had when taking down infected hordes.  Maybe it just hasn't clicked yet?

This game gets better as you progress through it eases you in gently. Not generally into stealthy games or crafting but really enjoyed how with aspects were handled in this added so much to the tension sneaking around and scavenging for resources. Definitely not a "going in with all guns" blazing type game. The atmosphere, sound, visuals and story were all superb! I originally played it through on the PS3 too so imagine it's even better on the PS4!

I hated the first 10 hours of TLOU. All story and very little game I thought. Then the characters got their claws into me and the game just got in the way of the story. 

By the time it finished I classed it (and still do) as one of the best pieces of digital entertainment I’d ever experienced.