The Last Of Us

Moz

The combat, especially the melee combat, would've benefited from a couple of layers of complexity. In Manhunt, there are three increasingly gory animations depending on how long you hold the execute button - something similar could work in TLOU, with a light execution just stunning the enemy, medium breaking their legs or arms, with only full strength killing them. That would add a lot of tension and risk/reward to the combat and enemy encounters.

The gunplay was good but again, not as solid as Manhunt - there's a woolliness in TLOU which I know is deliberate but it can feel like your skill as a player is compromised too heavily.

There should also be a way to set traps like the trip wire mines that you see early on - I couldn't believe they were only as an obstacle and you couldn't equip them. Missed opportunity.

Other primitive makeshift traps and hazards could easily have been introduced instead of the boring swimming and water puzzles, including J+E interacting with each other to trap and kill infected.

The story was good but hardly groundbreaking. Overall a bit overrated.

I don't think there's anything missing from TLOU, I think the opposite. The reason it's not the timeless classic it should be (for me) is purely down to the repetitive and often recurring find-a-ladder/push Ellie on a raft bits. In terms of puzzling they make Tomb Raiders mini-tombs feel like breaking the enigma code.

Still my game of the year though. Far too much goodness to let that spoil the overall experience.

Shame, I did 7 hours of this game and now I'm not feeling it at all. In my eyes, really not as great as everyone's saying.

You need to have your eyes replaced with mine because it's fucking awesome.

I thought it was one of the best games I have ever played on completion, and if anything, on reflection, I am more convinced than ever it is the best viedogame I have ever played.

Agreed. It's not my favourite game, but it's certainly the best I've ever experienced in some 30 odd years of gaming.

What I like most is that it lets you effortlessly switch on the fly from stealth to gunplay and how good each of these individual segments feel, especially if you don't use that hearing aid thing. Stunning an enemey with a trown brick, then running at him and twatting him with a lead pipe doesn't just feel visceral, it's also incredibly fluid. Just a joy to play, despite the rather disturbing world it is set in. My favorite way of playing is sneaking around, distracting and luring enemies with bottles and picking them off with bow and arrow, like a guerrilla warrior. Oh, and the odd molotov for Clickers that were blocking my path. Smoke bombs are a great tool as well. I did the finale in the hospital without firing a shot thanks to these bad boys.

Damn, now I want to play it again. Luckily the DLC is about to hit. Review embargo ends on Thursday.

Like Halo with The Flood - I found myself getting really fed up with the infected. The humans were just much more interesting to interact and fight with. I got to the point when I would give out a little sigh when I had to deal with a bunch of infected. It felt like they were just getting in the way of me moving forward towards another meaningful encounter with humans.

I get it, I understand why they are there - but I just thought they became a bit annoying.

After about half way I was mostly bored of the mechanics, I sighed at another room to clear, the story was where it was at for me. Probably appreciate it more now ive found out the conclusion, i was just totally driven to get to the end. It was worth it.

Like Halo with The Flood - I found myself getting really fed up with the infected. The humans were just much more interesting to interact and fight with. I got to the point when I would give out a little sigh when I had to deal with a bunch of infected. It felt like they were just getting in the way of me moving forward towards another meaningful encounter with humans.

I get it, I understand why they are there - but I just thought they became a bit annoying.

God, I was the total opposite. I much preferred fighting infected. There are any other number of mans Vs mans shooting games to play.

It seemed inconsistent to me, sometimes runners saw my torch. Sometimes clickers caught me when i was silent. The most intense bits were the underground sections filled with spores, i literally felt a suffocating effect just from playing it.

EG review. 10/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-14-the-last-of-us-left-behind-review

What this amounts to is a beautifully crafted addendum to The Last of Us, a game that already stood tall above many of its peers. While it could have benefited from yet more exploration, its impeccable level design utilises its environments to take Ellie and Riley - wonderfully portrayed by Ashley Johnson and Yaani King - on a trip that is not easily forgotten, underpinned by sparing use of Gustavo Santaolalla's beautiful score.

Left Behind deftly avoids falling foul of clichéd convenience or too-cute contrivance to deliver time and again throughout its short duration. It's so easy to want more of this world - either in the form of a longer run-time here, the chance to explore more of its stories as DLC, or even to hope for a full-blown sequel - but should Naughty Dog resist and lie to rest the stunning experience that it has created, Left Behind will serve as a fitting and masterful final farewell.

There's just no stopping Naughty Dog.