rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Moz

The Last Of Us

Major autosave bug:

Details on GAF, which they're updating as they try so suss it out:

Several people have complained about this and it just happened to me, just lost 2 hours of progress.

Sometimes the autosave stops working. There's a way to tell if it's happening.
Press start, you will bring up the menu. If it says "less than X minutes ago" you're fine. If it's stuck on "autosaving, please wait" you're screwed and have to exit the game. It wont let you exit to the menu and if you try to exit with the PS button it will probably turn off your console but it's the only way.
SO HIT START REGULARLY and check if the autosave is updating and save manually, create several separate files just to be safe.
God I'm so pissed, I feel like breaking something. 2 fucking hours!
Edit: how to disable autosave when loading a game:
Nevermind, doesn't seem to work. Just save manually often and in the process check if autosaving is still working.
Edit 2: we've confirmed that the bug is not being caused by the patch that was released today.
Edit 3: we've confirmed that it happens both with physical and digital copies.
Edit 4:
Hanmik found this on Reddit:

Apparently, the game does save even with this bug. I found a site where the people were saying that the time stamps were all screwed up. If you go to "Load Game" instead of "Continue", you'll be able to find and select the correct save point.
Waiting for gaffers to confirm if it works.
Update: some people recovered some progress with this but it's not a fix. In some cases it didn't help at all.

Keighley tweets about a 'megaton PS3 exclusive'.

Then he tweets this as a clue:

There's also a video of an ant if you go to the page www.lastofus.com

It's probably not Half Life 3.

BUT WHAT IF IT IS! Etc.

I imagine it's a new IP by a Sony owned developer.

Edit: Confirmed as an internal thing. The trailer is on one of SCEAs ftp sites.

Ant footage is from this:

Implying the game has something to do with a fungus which zombifies living creatures.

Zombies, yay.

Ages ago during a Move game montage there was brief footage of what looked to be a survival horror game. Allegedly it was called Until Dawn.

My guess would be this is that game. As for what that is... well, based on the name(s), the flashlight-heavy gameplay clip and the teaser videos I'd peg it as an urban horror game where you and other survivors are trying to avoid people that have been infected by a photo-sensitive virus, part of the danger being that the symptoms are more subtle/cumulative than typical zombification; generally I'm thinking more Amnesia than Left4Dead.

As an aside, "megaton" is right up there with "Halo killer" as a codeword for inevitable disappointment.

• Upvote 3

Announcing? What is this mystery PS3 game going to announce?

EDIT: Sorry for derailing, but man, I've become old and curmudgeonly over this new usage of English.

• Upvote 1

Announcing? What is this mystery PS3 game going to announce?

EDIT: Sorry for derailing, but man, I've become old and curmudgeonly over this new usage of English.

Never mind announcing, when is it releasing?

Ages ago during a Move game montage there was brief footage of what looked to be a survival horror game. Allegedly it was called Until Dawn.

My guess would be this is that game. As for what that is... well, based on the name(s), the flashlight-heavy gameplay clip and the teaser videos I'd peg it as an urban horror game where you and other survivors are trying to avoid people that have been infected by a photo-sensitive virus, part of the danger being that the symptoms are more subtle/cumulative than typical zombification; generally I'm thinking more Amnesia than Left4Dead.

That's the consensus on GAF. I'm always up for a new spin on survival horror :)

Man, does anyone else miss the days when non-Sony owned developers would make exclusive games for them. I don't really know why I miss third party exclusives to be honest,I mean I know it's better that more people can play more games.....but it's just not the same. It's like our political parties, it's really just one party in three flavours, it's the same with consoles now, well I guess Wii is different but that's because hardly anybody really tries to make good game's on it apart from Nintendo and the fact it's tech was so different (or, not so different now thanks to Move,ect).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If this is zombies then I'm out. Zombies are totally played out and I am completely bored of them now. Honestly, who thinks of doing a zombie game and doesn't immediately have a stroke because their brain collapses in on itself due to the sheer weight of cliche?

• Upvote 3

I've cleaned up my four posts in a row clusterfuck at the start of the thread, sorry about that. Once we know what this is I'll update the OP.

This ended up being something of a surprise after all, if only for the developer: Naughty Dog.

Nothing really specific said about it outside the keywords of "survival", "action" and "cinematic". Presumably it'll be third-person and feature a whole lot less shooting than the Uncharted games, but from the sounds of it this trailer is all we'll be getting for a while.

tlou122kja.gif

For those who felt UC3 was not as good as 2: the director and lead designer for 2 were working on this instead of 3. :)

Sony Computer Entertainment America ANNOUNCES THE LAST OF US, A NEW PLAYSTATION®3 EXCLUSIVE DEVELOPED BY NAUGHTY DOG

LOS ANGELES, December 10, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC announced today The Last of Us, a new franchise created exclusively for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. Developed by Naughty Dog, the creators of the highly acclaimed and best-selling UNCHARTED™ series, The Last of Us was unveiled in a world premiere trailer at the Spike TV 2011 Video Game Award Show.

The Last of Us is a genre-defining experience that blends survival and action elements to tell a character driven story about a population decimated by a modern plague. Abandoned cities are being reclaimed by nature and the remaining survivors are killing each other for food, weapons and whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a brave teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.

“We are excited to finally unveil The Last of Us, a project the team has been working hard on for some time,” said Evan Wells, Co-President of Naughty Dog. “Naughty Dog’s mission is to change the way people experience videogames. We are confident The Last of Us will take a leap forward in cinematic gaming and storytelling, providing gamers with an experience unlike anything else in the industry.”

The Last of Us is developed by some of the industry most talented game designers including Bruce Straley, game director, and Neil Druckmann, creative director. Naughty Dog advanced to the forefront of the videogame industry in 1996 with the successful introduction of Crash Bandicoot on the original PlayStation. The developer extended the franchise with Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped and Crash Team Racing, selling 22 million copies worldwide and led to Naughty Dog being the most successful video game developer in the United States for that console generation. The team then created the Jak and Daxter franchise including Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy®, Jak II™, Jak 3™ and Jak X: Combat Racing™. All four of titles are PlayStation®2 “Greatest Hits”. In 2007 the team released UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune® and followed with UNCHARTED2: Among Thieves™ and the recent November launch of UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™. Having currently sold over 13 million units worldwide, the UNCHARTED franchise represents some of the most impressive graphics, sound and processing capabilities found on PS3.

Pretty cool to see a new IP this late in the PS3's life.

• Upvote 5

For those who felt UC3 was not as good as 2: the director and lead designer for 2 were working on this instead of 3. :)

Sweet vindication.

cute wording on the trailer start slate: "the following trailer is captured directly from a playstation 3 system".

my suspicion is that they plugged a ps3 into the capture unit and played one of the video-based cutscenes that existing in the game so far; or, to be even more cynical it's possible they created one of those target render scenes and just played it back on a ps3 for the above capture quote to be factually correct. the former would be like the cutscenes in uncharted that are video-based; that use the game engine, but are pre-rendered to allow more detail and action than what the console can display in realtime.

note the lack of "actual game footage" wording in the trailer start slate.

prove me wrong ND!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 10

The Road: The Movie... sort of.

Yes, it may not quite have been an announcement of Earth shattering proportions, but just knowing that Naughty Dog have two teams now is something worth celebrating. I imagine it's a move that made sense given the rep Naughty Dog now enjoy, and with Insomniac going third party, this will likely fill any perceived gap in their first party roster.

Graphics are incredible, and hearing that the creative leads for Uncharted 2 are behind this is even more note worthy.

• Upvote 1