rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Moz

South Park: The stick of truth

Big South Park fan, so not surprised to be loving this for references alone.

But I'm more surprised at just how much I like it. Just starting day 3 and I'm saddened that it's almost over and crying out for DLC, which I understand will be self contained episodes?

I've just assumed that based on nothing! Don't want to google for fear of spoilers.

You are indeed on the final day, although you can continue playing after the end of the game to complete side quests.

• Upvote 1

It's made me go back and enjoy Southpark again. :) Cuttlefish or vanilla paste?

Same here. It's bizarre going back to it with a mental map of the town. I've only rewatched episodes from recent seasons, but the layout holds up!

Edit: Also, I'm starting to think they probably would get away with the more controversial day 3 stuff on tv. I've been looking further back and just watched the episode where Christopher Reeve basically ate fetuses for their stem cells. It's easy to forget how far the show pushes it.

I don't think it says explicitly, but it's pretty clear where the end of the game is going to take place so you can avoid that area.

A few hours into this & I'm absolutely loving it. So much fun & as a big South Park fan it's ticking all the boxes. I'm about halfway through day 2 so hoping there is a good amount more to come. :)

I found it long enough to leave me satisfied yet desperate for more. Oo-er.

I can see myself going back for another play through in a few months. It's essentially a 10-14 hour South Park movie.

My brother in law casually mentioned his 13 year old son has just bought this. I gave him a blow by blow account off everything that's in it and he turned white. He's apparently going to go round his exes to have a word. I'm such a stirrer.

This game was awesome - completed it a few nights ago. In fact I enjoyed it so much it made me hop straight over to Amazon so I could fill the gaps in my season DVD collection.

You can really tell it was a labour of love for both the creators and the developers. It's just right.

EDIT: Am I the only person who has watched the show subsequent to playing the game and paid particularly careful attention to the town's layout to see if it actually pieces together properly? Oh - hang on - someone else said the same just up there :facepalm:

Like the big, red, fuck-off '18' on the front isn't a clue?

Even if they had never seen an episode.

Typical parent ignorance though. It's a videogame, it can't mean anything.

Is all the junk you find in cupboards and drawers useless at all or is it all there just for the lols and for selling?

Just for selling, and alot of it is a reference to stuff in SP too.

Finished it on Sunday, great game overall. I really enjoyed it, and even tho the gameplay was pretty one note, i think its real genius was that it gave me something ive never had in a game before, the feeling that i'm taking part in an episode of a TV series. Like with other licensed games, be it the futurama game or a simpsons game or whatever, its always obvious you're playing a game of the show, but this, it really just did feel like i was watching the TV show, and taking part. Which is a completely new experience ive not had in a game before.

• Upvote 1

Is all the junk you find in cupboards and drawers useless at all or is it all there just for the lols and for selling?

There's an a achievement if you don't sell anything through the entire run of the game, but grey stuff is basically there for lols and cash.

Finished this last night.

Definitely very enoyable from a story/setting point of view, but the combat never really quite lived up to expectations. Just became a walk in the park quite early on, even on the hardest setting.

It was definitely the right length considering the simplicity of the combat system, but for me, I'd rather see more depth with the combat, and thus a slightly longer game. It just seems like a total waste that by the end you've got 6 companions, but you're still only able to use one of them at once. Plus, I'd have liked more of a slow drip with companion abilities, rather than have them almost all at once. Certainly wouldn't have made the game too hard.

It would be very interesting to know what changes Ubisoft made when they got hold of the game- going on that Eurogamer interview with Urquhart though, I doubt we'll ever know. I can't see the combat being much simpler before, so I do wonder a bit if they went in and dumbed it down a fair bit, which would have been a shame if so. Plus, the pacing of the game is a bit off with regards to getting new companions, so I'm wondering if stuff was cut out or moved around.

It's all the little touches that made it.

Things like the "there's something in my front pocket" playing over the u haul shop tannoy.

You can feel the teams love for their fans with this one. I had great fun blasting through it & if I had more time I'd probably enjoy getting it completed to 100%.

I think if they did a sequel, I'd like them to go for a more coherent storyline (even for South Park), rather than just darting from one reference to another, which this does a little bit. Something a bit more like the movie. It'll be hard though, since they've pretty much covered every single reference in this one, so I'm not really sure what they could do without it retreading old ground.

I'd love for them to beef up the combat system a bit though, there's a lot of potential there.

Unless it didn't have as much involvement from them, which would definitely make it an inferior game, since that's the one thing that really saves this one. Hopefully they wouldn't go down that route though.

Forgot to post in here after I finished it. Loved most of it, aside from a few Broken Sword type sections with awkward environmental puzzles.

Canada is hysterical. As soon as it started I was laughing, but when the music started I thought I was going to suffocate from the LOLZ.

• Downvote 1