Fumito Ueda has Left Sony

Roboplegic Wrongcock

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian creator Fumito Ueda has left Sony, Eurogamer understands.

Japanese video game development sources indicated the 41-year-old is working on finishing oft-delayed PlayStation 3 exclusive The Last Guardian in a freelance capacity. Ueda's departure from Sony internal development studio Team Ico is one of the reasons for the game's protracted development, Eurogamer was told. Following the completion of the game, Ueda will embark on personal projects.

In September Sony reassured gamers that Team Ico was still "hard at work" on The Last Guardian, despite the high-profile PS3 exclusive missing the Tokyo Game Show.

The previous month SCE Studios president Shuhei Yoshida gave an exasperated-sounding Last Guardian progress update:

"It's been very difficult in terms of seeing the progress: not as fast as we'd been hoping for, and the team has been under big pressure," he said. The Last Guardian was delayed earlier this year to an unspecified time in 2012. The cat-eagle adventure was originally slated for a "late 2011" release.

Ueda was director and lead designer on PlayStation 2 games Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, which both took four years to develop.

The Last Guardian was first mentioned as being in development over four years ago, in February 2007, by Japanese magazine Famitsu. It was eventually revealed at E3 2009 with an eye-catching trailer. However, it failed to show at E3 2011, Gamescom 2011 and Tokyo Game Show 2011.

Sony told Eurogamer it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

Link

Damm can't bode well for the TLG if this rumour is true. A rush to finish the game? Hopefully not.

Part of the problem is that Team Ico is only about 50-60 people strong. For a HD game with this ambition that's just crazy small, but apparently Ueda is very picky about who gets hired. There comes a point when artistic ambition has to meet with the cold, hard reality of games development, however.

If this turns out to be true, will be an interesting test of the theory that individuals don't matter when it comes to game development, Ueda is Team ICO in my book. Once this game is done, they may aswell close the developer, unless he is still going to only develop games with Team ICO but as a freelancer.

If this turns out to be true, will be an interesting test of the theory that individuals don't matter when it comes to game development, Ueda is Team ICO in my book. Once this game is done, they may aswell close the developer, unless he is still going to only develop games with Team ICO but as a freelancer.

Isn't that a bit harsh on the rest of the company? Surely the real talent is with the lead artists/animators, etc?

Team ICO was formed around Ueda, rip out the heart, the rest isn't exactly going to function too well, but as I said, it'll be an interesting test of the theory, as they don't exactly make your typical game sequels, where bringing in a substitute bunch of people means the average person doesn't notice.

He did multiple practical dev roles on the original ICO, not sure how his time was spent on the last 2 games, but I imagine he hasn't quite got to Miyamoto levels of non-involvement just yet.

Announced in 2007 so around the same, yeah.

A very long time to fund something that won't sell as well as SOTC though! Which, from memory, didn't sell that great either?

Anyway, will be interesting to see what he gets up to next. Hope it's still in videogames.

EDIT: Assuming this is even true!

Have you met any of them personally? For all we know Ueda is a massive hack, and his long-suffering number two has been doing all the work the whole time.

It doesn't bide well that there's still nothing playable or a demo of any kind.

Sony flew journalists to Tokyo back in March for a brief vertical slice demo of the game, it ain't just a bunch of target renders.

Obviously, the demo of The Last Guardian was way too brief for our tastes, but it was enough to get us excited for what's to come. The game looks to have a lot of potential and we're certainly anxious to spend more time with it. The gameplay mechanics were definitely interesting and have us curious about how they will evolve over the course of the experience as you bond with Trico. The visuals reflect an art aesthetic that's undeniably Team Ico, so we're definitely hungry to see more of the world

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/the-last-guardian-preview-6301593

Wow. If this is true, I hope it's not causing the dev's working on TLG too much extra stress.

But you what, I've been waiting and anticipating TLG for so long now that I'm not even sure I still really want to play it anymore. I'd probably rather just have that sweet eternal promise of it's supposed mind boogling brilliance forever lingering just around the corner. It's like a child waiting 5 years for Christmas day. Same with Shenmue 3, If it ever actually came out I'd probably buy it on day 1 and then keep telling myself I'll start playing when I have the time, but probably never play it....

What fuck is going on at Sony!? Now the executive producer of Last Guardian has left too

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-07-the-last-guardian-executive-producer-quits-sony

The executive producer of PlayStation 3 exclusive The Last Guardian has left Sony to join a Facebook game developer.

Yoshifusa Hayama, who for four years worked as vice president at Sony Computer Entertainment, has joined Monstermind creator Bossa Studios as creative director.

Before The Last Guardian Hayama worked on the Final Fantasy series and Ico. At Bossa he will work on the studio's first 3D game, set for launch this year.

There's this as well:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39293/Last-Guardian-executive-producer-resigns

A clearer picture is emerging on the stormy development of The Last Guardian, as the project’s executive producer resigns to join a London Tech City studio.

Yoshifusa Hayama (pictured), who had been Vice President at Sony Computer Entertainment for four years, has been appointed creative director at Newscorp owned Bossa.

Prior to the move Hayama had been executive producer on the protracted Last Guardian project, though Sony had not revealed he had left the company.

Last week it emerged that the PlayStation 3 game’s creative lead, Fumito Ueda, had apparently resigned from Sony and is finishing the project in a freelance capacity.

Sony has employed a company-wide gagging order on publicly discussing Ueda’s employment situation.