Christmas ideas?

Christmas is coming, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for fun board games for a 6 year old boy? I was thinking of going for something really traditional like backgammon or checkers, but I'm not sure how much they'd grab his attention. I suspect they probably would to a degree, but then they wouldn't be new to me and I'd quite like something new for both of us. I used to play Talisman, Space Hulk and the like when I was younger and I loved them. Admittedly the ones I played probably wouldn't be all that suitable for a 6 year old, but is there something that would be?

Ideally they'd need to playable by 2 players, unless they can also accommodate a very loud and excitable 3 year old (which sounds like a massive stretch)...

I played Zombies with my six year year old, eight year old and a ten year old nephews a couple of months ago and they loved that. Their mother wasn't too sure about the cards (they are a little violent) but they loved it and picked the game up pretty quickly. They weren't very tactical but they thought it was great fun killing zombies and griefing each other. (I should say that I didn't actually take Zombies to play with them, they just saw the adults playing one night and wanted to play as well.)

Not sure about board games for a three year old. Maybe one of the Lego board games?

Lego board games are a complete waste of money - they're really badly thought out and no fun to play. Pieces go missing and it's game over, avoid like the plague.

Downfall and Guess Who would be good for the 6 year old & three year old. My three year old is currently into simple card games like Snap.

Rory's Story Cubes might me nice fun for them. Not very game-y, but creative, cheap and good for their age.

They could probably handle Uno at their age. (3 is about the age kids stop being thick...like, really thick ...right? :P )

Is there any kind of roleplaying for kids? Could be a laugh for them making up character sheets, drawing some maps and grabbing some loots.

Seconded for Forbidden Island. As it's co-op you can help steer the younger one. :)

Rat-a-tat-cat is a great card game involving knowing number values and memorising card positions, should be ideal.

We also have a lot of fun with A la Carte. Cooking game with great pieces and should be fine for both ages.

I reckon Talisman would be good for a 6 year old.

My eldest is 6 and there's not a chance in hell he would sit at a table long enough to play a full game of Talisman (2-3 hours?) and there's a lot of reading which he would struggle a little with. I reckon a couple of years more for that sort of game :)

Might get one of those Heroica games for him for Xmas, and shall take a look in the Works for Hey, that's my fish!

My eldest is 6 and there's not a chance in hell he would sit at a table long enough to play a full game of Talisman (2-3 hours?) and there's a lot of reading which he would struggle a little with. I reckon a couple of years more for that sort of game :)

Might get one of those Heroica games for him for Xmas, and shall take a look in the Works for Hey, that's my fish!

Didn't realise there was that much reading as it's been years since i played it.

Good point about game length though.

Forbidden Island also plays a very good solo game.

You can just play a number of the different roles by yourself using the normal rules. Or there was a varient posted on Boardgamegeek where you:

1. Play using only one role - the Explore might be best for the first few attempts.

2. Draw 3 Treasure cards per turn, instead of 2.

3. Your Treasure card hand limit increases from 5 to 7.

When my 7 year old plays the game she prefers to play this solo varient with me helping out.

There are also a number of different island layouts on Boardgamegeek you could try. I think they are included in the later editions of the game - the German edition of the game also came with plastic figures instead of wooden pawns - but you only got one layout in the first editions.

My daughter also loves to play the Dungeons and Dragons: The legend of Drizzt board game - £39.99 on Amazon. We play it about three times a week.