Final Fantasy XV

Broker

On 28/11/2016 at 16:35, Moz said:

I've stopped seeing it now. I haven't played a game at 30fps since May (Uncharted) so this was quite the eyefucker for me :lol: But you get used to it of course.

Hey @Moz . Q.

Was Fallout 4 30fps? Because I found that game almost unplayable. I just couldn't get used to it and I hated it. 

Is there a 60 fps patch coming?

20 minutes ago, NickC said:

What sort of side quests are there? 

Is it just fun hunting for creatures in the open world? 

I have done hardly any of the story.

I got to chapter 2 yesterday and was over twice the level of what I think I was meant to be as for my first few hours I just went around doing the monster hunts and just generally exploring. I was level 8 or something before going back to the story. 

It's worth watching the film beforehand. It gives you a bit of a better understanding of what happens at the end of chapter 1.

I'm enjoying the game so far, just been taking my time. Prompto takes some dodgy photo's near enough 80% of the time. Do they improve as his photography levels up?

Dave is pretty much everywhere, he gets about a bit.

I haven't tried the layout B for the controls. I don't find A too difficult as your either dodging / blocking or attacking so it's only going to be one button or the other. But each to their own.

Well my ridiculously overpriced UCE arrived yesterday along with the collectors guide. Both really lush though I have to say. Really enjoying it so far, and thankfully years of RPG playing has made me immune to what some consider to be dodgy voice acting. Though Ignis sounds a bit too much like Balthier from FF12 to my old ears.

16 hours ago, Flub said:

The diner prices are displayed in a corner of the image but it's pretty hard to read (Probably impossible if you're colour blind in that way).

Also confirmed. Control layout B turned the combat from fumbling into a joy. No idea why it wasn't the default

Yes, thanks.  The first place it was basically white text on white background so easy to miss, but at the seafood joint it's clearer.

I'm OK with control scheme A - switching between x,y and b for evade, zoom out of trouble and attack works fine for me.  I'm defaulting daggers since it seem to fit a quick rolling around play style and I don't figure I'm the main damage dealer in this team.  The question then becomes how to get the best from Ignis and Goofy since the big guy can take care of himself and do serious damage at the same time.  I don't want to ignore magic like a lot of the reviewers seem to have done simply because of the splash damage, so Ignis can maybe carry a spell as a secondary (which will keep him out of the area at the same time). Goofy needs to debuff I suppose.

4 hours ago, Hellcock said:

Hey @Moz . Q.

Was Fallout 4 30fps? Because I found that game almost unplayable. I just couldn't get used to it and I hated it. 

Is there a 60 fps patch coming?

Yes, and yes if you have a PS4 Pro.

Most games are 30fps though. It's not really a problem I just haven't played a console game since Uncharted 4 so I had to readjust.

9 minutes ago, DC07 said:

Skimmed through that - staggering volume of new items as well as all the tinkering with stats which most folk won't notice.

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

Does the main story scale to your level? I finished chapter 2 and started 3 but there's loads more map and I'm already like level 22.

No it doesn't.

The combat is genuinely unplayable at times. Like when you're stuck in a little corridor with some flying enemies who keep confusing you and you can't even tell you're confused because noctis is constantly running outside of the camera view and there's no onscreen HUD status effect. You're trying to focus on enemies and keep bringing up the minimap because R3 lock just doesn't work from some camera angles (or it does but then disengages by itself, so pressing R3 again brings up the minimap). So you're bouncing off enemies and stumbling around constantly even though you're holding block, and then you finally notice you're confused and try to use a remedy but you can't for some reason (?) and then the AI finishes the fight for you while you're just running in circles and falling over. Really really shit sometimes.

Bit of a stretch but I wonder if some lunatics will mod a turnbased system in at some point - if it ever comes to PC - even if it's something like VATS. Wait mode just doesn't cut it.

Might force myself to wait a little while longer to see if Square sort out the frame pacing issue. According to DF it's not there in the XOne version, but that does have slightly lower res....if only game saves were cross console compatible! I'd pick up the Xbox version and then cross over :P

44 minutes ago, Moz said:

Yes, and yes if you have a PS4 Pro.

Most games are 30fps though. It's not really a problem I just haven't played a console game since Uncharted 4 so I had to readjust.

Wouldn't get my hopes too high regarding the 60fps patch. It's almost impossible to deliver locked 60fps without reducing some other technical aspects.

The game is already utilizing around 87% of CPU power (http://imgur.com/wOeNUEW), the Pro is about 30% more powerful than the base model, so it's hard to see where locked 60fps are supposed to come from.

It's locked to 30 on PS4 Pro in both modes. Nobody outside of Square knows how high it would run in "lite" mode if the fps lock were removed. It may already be most of the way there. I mean, if it can do 30fps in 1800p (albeit with fucked up framepacing) it can probably hit 60fps in 1080p. 

Haven't seen any update to those values: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/08/27/final-fantasy-xvs-cpu-utilization-optimized-from-65-87-to-87-95-since-episode-duscae/

Again, they would need to strike some sort of compromise for locked 60fps to happen in my opinion. They could let the camera update itself at every second frame while the CPU prepares the next frame. In that case the camera would be super smooth but animations etc. would still run at 30fps.

Right, but isn't most of the extra power gained from the GPU, not CPU? I mean, they doubled the pixel count for PS4 pro high mode without impacting performance at 30fps since this presentation was made, which is entirely down to the GPU headroom. So surely at 1080p light mode they have a lot of GPU headroom already, which isn't apparent as it's locked to 30fps at launch. I know from my own PC that the difference between 60fps and 165fps barely impacts the CPU load for example, but bumping the number of objects/physics in the game does, and has roughly the same impact at any resolution. They're not going to increase the number of objects or lights or effects on screen for the 1080/60 mode, they're just going to move the framerate cap from 30 to 60 and do a bit of optimisation.

I'm useless at timing of blocking and parrying at the best of times, and in the midst of a mass of claws or tentacles or flan (what? fangs?), it's even worse.  So I just roll around the periphery to try to back stab and hang like a bat from time to time in order to swoop down on my prey.  Reserving judgement on combat really until I hit the Spike (there's always one sooner or later).

37 minutes ago, Moz said:

Nnnnnngh but seriously sometimes you'll bounce off an enemy and fall over, while you're blocking, and they're not even doing an attack animation.

Supposedly some attacks can`t be parried. You have to combat roll out of the way. God only knows how you`re supposed to tell which is which or indeed have any chance at reacting to those at the speed the combat goes. Especially in a scrum.

Like a hunt to kill 10 big bull things. I start mixing it up with them and a drop ship dumps a load of magitek troops into the mix and then while all that`s going south another different pack of monsters rocks up and starts a rumble. Once you`re at that point you get out of dodge and start picking at the edges.

I haven't quite gotten to the part with magitek soldiers and the such. Don't you just hold square (or w.e your chosen button) and phase in and out to dodge. Then just time your attacks when your not surrounded. Least that's what I have done so far and its worked. Then hang in places while you heal the party and then get back in there.

I suppose it add's an element of realism that you can't just run in and steamroll over everything?

27 minutes ago, Flub said:

Supposedly some attacks can`t be parried. You have to combat roll out of the way. God only knows how you`re supposed to tell which is which or indeed have any chance at reacting to those at the speed the combat goes. Especially in a scrum.

Like a hunt to kill 10 big bull things. I start mixing it up with them and a drop ship dumps a load of magitek troops into the mix and then while all that`s going south another different pack of monsters rocks up and starts a rumble. Once you`re at that point you get out of dodge and start picking at the edges.

Most of the attack animations don't have any windup, or aren't easily differentiated from normal movement, especially in the heat of battle. 

It's almost as if they built a turn based game first and then switched to an action format later, which is probably close to the truth. It just bugs the shit out of me, I don't expect a Platinum game but I don't see why they flagrantly disregard genre norms like "enemy attacks are telegraphed so you can dodge them" :(

Just now, Moz said:

Most of the attack animations don't have any windup, or aren't easily differentiated from normal movement, especially in the heat of battle. 

It's almost as if they built a turn based game first and then switched to an action format later, which is probably close to the truth. It just bugs the shit out of me, I don't expect a Platinum game but I don't see why they flagrantly disregard genre norms like "enemy attacks are telegraphed so you can dodge them" :(

Yup. It`s a design that results in the number one advice given to new players being "Hold down phase at all times"

This game has issues but it is incredibly compelling.

My top tips are

Use control method B.

Turn the lock camera to the tightest setting (5)

Orange triangles on top of promts mean hold the button down so don't worry too much about timing.

Warp like a crazy man.

Get the campsite AP point upgrade in the ascension menu.

Dont go out at night time.

I really do like it but when it's goes bad it takes a deep sharp dive into unacceptable territory. 

Well done square for taking a massive risk with a well loved historic franchise. I can't imagine Activisiin ever doing the same for Call of Duty or Microsoft for Halo.

I've given the same advice earlier in the thread, but 40 hours in it doesn't really hold true. You get knocked over half the time even when you're blocking, or hit mid dodge, etc. Every fight is a complete clusterfuck of spasmodic jittery enemies clipping in and out of the camera while you bounce around like a pinball. It's really, really bad. And the sad thing is I wouldn't have minded dropping the turnbased stuff at all, FF12 and Crisis Core combat were both pretty good. The combat is getting worse as the game goes on, and it was pretty shit to begin with. There's a brief moment where you think you're getting the hang of it and then you quickly hit the limits of the camera/system/AI and feel really deflated.