Final Fantasy XV

Broker

12 minutes ago, Flub said:

I can't seem to reliably warp to warp points. I'm looking at the point but noctis always manages to just go in a random direction. Do you need to lock on as well?

I think you do, although I don't recall it being explained that way. Maybe that's been patched too. There have been unfortunate occasions where I've tried to warp to safety only to warp right in an enemy's face.

As for the length of the game, I understand there are fifteen chapters to the main story. My eleven hours took me to the start of chapter 6 and there's still plenty for me to do (not that all of it is massively fun but it pays well) before I proceed.

14 hours ago, Moz said:

Cards on the table, it's dragons dogma with a silly haircut and a ridiculous budget. That's the most overwhelming amount of praise of it I can give. You know how in Dragon's Dogma, the story didn't really matter and everything was completely fucking awesome and you were really compelled to play it for a week straight and then multiple other playthroughs because it was weird and compelling and awesome? It's like that. 

Any time I read about Dragon's Dogma, my particular worldview changes anything said about it to the above. You just sold me a copy, Moz.

2 minutes ago, Flub said:

I think I just figured out warp points. Need another test combat to be sure. I think you hold triangle rather than press it. You certainly can't lockon to warp points.

That would make more sense and explain why it's been hit and miss for me!

6 minutes ago, Flub said:

I'm not a big fan of separate tutorials. They info dump huge amounts of info all at once that you just forget.. I'd prefer a more organic method.

I'm not sure how an orange arrow point down means hold though :)

It's pointing down so you hold it down. I guess they kept the tutorial separate so you can go back to it whenever you want, it's accessible from the menu.

15 minutes ago, Harsin said:

So with regards to the unlikable cast. How bad are we talking? Because you'd have to go some way to outdo the collection of utter cockgoblins that were the cast of FFXIII.

The voices are quite annoying, but the characters are eventually quite likeable. It helps that they make a lot of fourth-wall breaking jokes and references to other films and games. It's the right kind of cringecheese as it mostly happens during battles/exploration. There isn't much in the way of watching horrendous actors give long tedious speeches in cutscenes like in FFX/XIII. The worst offender is Cindy because she looks like a sexdoll for paedophiles and sounds like Forrest Gump.

it's all a bit sarcastic and more self aware than FFXIII

I regards to the warps.

holding triangle will always warp to a safe spot as long as that safe spot is in view but yeah I've had my fair share of rolling up in someone's grill with zero health to get away.

In the tutorial I think it said it would always auto lock on to an enemy when you warped to a safe spot but I find myself search around for where the enemy is most of the time.

I also thought that you could still warp to a safe spot even if you were in stasis but again that doesn't seem to be the case unless I'm mistaken or just unlucky.

You can't warp in danger state or stasis because it costs MP. 

Protip, one of the class of weapons you get early on drains HP as you use it. It's really easy to not notice this, equip 3 of them and wonder why you're dying constantly :lol: Already seen a couple of videos of people mashing their own health away and then dying. 

4 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

I haven't been hyped for this at all, but today i feel like i need it in my life.

Will i be able to rock up at tesco at midnight tonight and purchase?

The OFDs are in.

Thats an Off Fixture Display so they will have large quantities coming into the stores. 

7 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

The OFDs are in.

Thats an Off Fixture Display so they will have large quantities coming into the stores. 

My local tesco say that the entertainment people leave at 10pm so no games can be purchased at until 7am the following morning :(

Gone digital for this one :/

Just now, djtickle said:

My local tesco say that the entertainment people leave at 10pm so no games can be purchased at until 7am the following morning :(

Gone digital for this one :/

That's not true but the type of response I would expect.

The stuff would be locked away in most cases and would require someone to go and get it. Pure laziness and Fobbing off in that case

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

Its 39 on the tesco website, do you think it it will be that price in store?

I was in my local Tesco earlier and it was £39.odd in there. I may be tempted to pick it up there myself, as my Simply order hasn't arrived despite it being shipped Thursday morning, same as everyone else's here.

I can understand fans of previous games in the series being wary of this, but there's something about it being a messy experiment in changing up traditional FF systems that appeals, and from that first godawful demo it seemed as if it'd be properly mental - a suspicion that Moz's posts seem to hint at, if not bear out altogether. Having survived the astonishingly dull and earnest Kingsglaive by way of preparation I feel I bloodied, yet ready for what's to come. I have to see this one out to the end, series in-jokes, hot-panted sex doll mechanics, stupid haircuts, terrible script, ludicrously large swords and all. It feels like it might be the last in the lineage.

The weird thing is, Kingsglaive doesn't match the tone of FFXV particularly well. It's really self serious and dense with gibberish plot. The game is far goofier, breezier and colourful. Laid back even. Kingsglaive is closer to the tone of FFXIII, deeply unaware of how silly it is, long winded and tiresome to endure.

The most properly mental thing about FFXV is that it's a totally serviceable, nay enjoyable, open world game. It's a strange open world game and a VERY strange Final Fantasy game, but it's not a bad example of either.

I'm now just waiting for all the 2/10 "RIP Square" reviews to hit so I can discover I've lost my mind after playing 20 hours of it since Saturday morning.

Do you need to start the game to get it to install? Mine arrived on Saturday (actually for some reason Simply Games sent me 2 copies) and I've yet to open it. I don't want it to end up like Titanfall 2 where I stick the disc in early evening for a while thinking it will be installing then go to play it later only to be greeted with a 0% progress bar.

Some reviews starting to appear

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/final-fantasy-xv-review-1630801

Perhaps our biggest grouse is reserved for the Final Fantasy XV's music. It’s simply unremarkable. Not a single track stood out or stuck in our heads, unless you count the music in its menus, which is just a new spin on an existing Final Fantasy theme or tracks from old Final Fantasy games you can play as you drive through the world.

So is Final Fantasy XV everything it ought to be? For fans, yes. Without question, this is the Final Fantasy game you’ve been waiting for. That's actually surprising given how tumultuous its decade-long development as been. For first-timers, it depends how tolerant you are of narrative failings. Look past that, and you’re treated to fantastic moment to moment gameplay, and an intricate set of systems that will have you coming back for more. 8/10.

http://gearnuke.com/final-fantasy-xv-review/

Final Fantasy XV is a breath of fresh air for the series which was starting to lose its significance after the release of Final Fantasy XIII. It is one of the best open world game on the current generation consoles and a return to the form for the franchise. 9/10

26 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Could someone just sum up the plot in a spoilered paragraph? The thought of an hour and a half FF cutscene is terrifying.

Spoiler

King guy signs a treaty with the neighbouring military superpower. Part of the deal is that their kids will marry to strengthen ties between the two powers. Military superpower reneges on the deal once inside the walls of King guy's city and levels it to the ground, killing the king in the process. End credits. Post credits scene shows the King's son, Noctis, on his way to meet up with his bride to be (and childhood friend), not knowing that his father was betrayed, his city is destroyed and the military superpower has taken control. Cue FFXV.