Final Fantasy XV

Broker

51 minutes ago, Uzi said:

People do have a hyperbolic setting here - they swing wildly from "it will be AMAZING" to "this sounds AWFUL" to a few impressions apart that were nowhere near that divisive in the first place (Moz's posts sound pretty interesting to me!). Just chill out and wait for more reviews and impressions before freaking. 

I'm having a hard time explaining why I quite like so far,  it's much easier to focus on the problems. But I THINK I like it. 

I'm making no progress at all with the plot, just milling around doing hours of side quests. I think I'm still on chapter 2, though I might be at the start of 3. Combat is getting tougher but I'm adjusting as I learn, and it feels more satisfying. 8 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it.

12 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Apparently the game is *comment on game length*?

Hide contents

16 whole hours long. If so that is quite pathetic

I heard 40-50 but that obviously includes side content. Then there is a season pass of course.

i seriously doubt it's the number you state but we shall see.

If you barrel through the main quest doing absolutely none of the side stuff you're probably missing the point entirely. I've put 16 hours in and I'm on chapter 2. 

There's a new 1.02 update which looks to be identical to the 1.01 update but you have to download it anyway. That's what you get for getting it early! It's 8Gb.

OK. 20 hours played (I'm editing a post form 4 hours ago... :))

Things I love about this game, after moaning about various things for several pages:

The "4 guys on a roadtrip gooning around and helping each other out" concept. OK, it's four guys and you can't swap other characters in, so it's a bit offputting at first. But after a while the energy of their (ugh, forgive me) banter and the little moments they share together make you feel a bond between them without it being forced, which helps you feel a bond with them too. It's not ladled on thick at all, in fact it's quite subtle, like shots of them playing cards together or having a chat while they're driving. Add this to the fact that the environments are genuinely attractive and evocative and it gives me wanderlust in a way most games don't.

It isn't afraid to be strange. The game understands open world design, it understands JRPG conventions, it understands the weight of expectation upon it and it still manages to blend everything in a strange way without coming undone by lengthy dialogue scenes or training wheels that don't come off. It's happy to let you piss around at your own pace doing whichever questline or activity you want. It's light and frothy and not burdened by self-seriousness - something you would assume after watching Kingsglaive.

The combat is unlike anything I've ever played, not necessarily in a good way but I am getting to grips with it. Defend constantly, don't fall for the appearance of a button masher which plays itself - it isn't. You need to be blocking always and getting out of the battle when things get weird, dishing out potions and techniques for your other guys. You've already got what amounts to a tank and two DPS units, in many ways you're the support class because you're the only dude with a brain. 

The more I play it the more I like it, but it took about 15 hours to come to terms with what it is and what it isn't. You need to go in with an open mind because it isn't like anything you've played before. It isn't a turn based JRPG. It isn't a Western open world game. Let go of what you think it is or what you want it to be and just go with the flow. It's going to be a very emotional day for some of you, give it some time to get under your skin. It might end up being the death of Square or it might be a bold new blueprint for another 30 years of Final Fantasy. But it's taken ten years to cobble together so give it a chance before you decide you hate it or love it because of a few specifics early on.

5 hours ago, Moz said:

If you barrel through the main quest doing absolutely none of the side stuff you're probably missing the point entirely. I've put 16 hours in and I'm on chapter 2. 

There's a new 1.02 update which looks to be identical to the 1.01 update but you have to download it anyway. That's what you get for getting it early! It's 8Gb.

I'm on chapter 3 after 8 hours. Apparently there are plenty more chapters after.

i was hoping the update would fix the frame pacing. If they did that it probably wouldn't need that 60fps patch in December.

I've stopped seeing it now. I haven't played a game at 30fps since May (Uncharted) so this was quite the eyefucker for me :lol: But you get used to it of course.

The new patch added some camera options - go in and set camera autocorrect and ally cutaways to "on" and the tracking speed to max. Then you can hold R1 as if it's the Z trigger in Ocarina of time. I've gotten used to holding R1 all the time now instead of using the R3 lock on. 

You can also fast forward to night time now in order to do the night time hunts (someone upthread was moaning about that).

18 minutes ago, Moz said:

I've stopped seeing it now. I haven't played a game at 30fps since May (Uncharted) so this was quite the eyefucker for me :lol: But you get used to it of course.

The new patch added some camera options - go in and set camera autocorrect and ally cutaways to "on" and the tracking speed to max. Then you can hold R1 as if it's the Z trigger in Ocarina of time. I've gotten used to holding R1 all the time now instead of using the R3 lock on. 

You can also fast forward to night time now in order to do the night time hunts (someone upthread was moaning about that).

Seem's they are listening to fans then?

I will be waiting to finish work tomorrow to go and get stuck into this (copies ordered from Amazon).

But judging from peoples views its a game that grows on you.

The important question though. Is it better than FFXIII?

Just now, Luseth said:

Seem's they are listening to fans then?

I will be waiting to finish work tomorrow to go and get stuck into this (copies ordered from Amazon).

But judging from peoples views its a game that grows on you.

The important question though. Is it better than FFXIII?

I've got a lime green car with a cactuar on the hood. Hopefully that answers your question.

Now all they need to do is patch in a tolerable English dub that doesn't ruin every character and we're ready for launch!* 

*The Japanese+subs combo quickly becomes second nature, though, and Prompto's Japanese voice actor is too good to have it any other way.

36 minutes ago, DC07 said:

Now all they need to do is patch in a tolerable English dub that doesn't ruin every character and we're ready for launch!* 

*The Japanese+subs combo quickly becomes second nature, though, and Prompto's Japanese voice actor is too good to have it any other way.

It's fine, I was very rubbed the wrong way by it for a while because it's so abrasive at first, but you settle into it when you realise it's all easy-going and the personalities are quite likeable. They're not stood around having long conversations or attempting any real drama. Bad things happen and they do a 30 second "that was bad" bit and then it's back to the sly videogame references and cheesy one liners about beans. Prompto sounds like Sonic and Gladio sounds like Knuckles to me.

Strangely I can't wait to get home and play it some more. I definitely want to be trying the new camera controls tonight so thanks for the heads up on that.

I found that the voice acting stopped bothering me very early in indeed. Ignis is the worst by far but Noctus is actually surprisingly good and mature sounding,

I think it was down to my problems with the combat and specifically the combat camera.

@Moz is 100% correct. It takes a lot of hours to figure out what this isn't and to start seeing what it is.

The review embargo is up later today and I'll be very interested to here what people have to say after a full playthrough.

Do we know if there's any kind of PC release in the pipeline or is this console only? I'm not sure why I can't disregard this, I haven't had any real interest in the series since FF9 (with the exception of FF12 purely because of it's Vagrant Story lineage!)

7 minutes ago, Crhis said:

Just had an email from base.com saying that they're unable to fulfill my pre-order (despite making it months ago). Any recommendations for an alternative place to order from or somewhere I could walk up to tomorrow?

If you have Prime, Amazon have that £2 off preorder thing and it'll be guaranteed to arrive. If not... supermarket, Simply Games or Shopto are your best bets I'd think.

7 minutes ago, Crhis said:

Just had an email from base.com saying that they're unable to fulfill my pre-order (despite making it months ago). Any recommendations for an alternative place to order from or somewhere I could walk up to tomorrow?

Simply or shopto will get it to you tomorrow for £40 - dunno if any supermarkets will do good deals.