Final Fantasy XV

Broker

I have XII on ps2 but that's now in the loft! 

XII had the most interesting story and cast of any final fantasy game I've played, Matsuno put a HUGE amount of work into that world and characters. The addition of Trophies, HD Or even better some sort of Pro 4K support alongside the international version changes should make for a good update. I've no knowledge of how the international version plays in comparison but hopefully the battle system is more challenging and the AI abilities (gambits) restructured in some way. Heard they have redone the soundtrack which could be bad but I wasn't in love with the VERY Star Wars influenced music in the first place.

Hm, I dunno - I found 12's story to be one of the dullest of the main series myself. It kind of felt like they'd started writing the plot, only got about a chapter into it and then run out of time and had to stretch out what they had across the whole game. It just didn't ever feel like it went anywhere. I really liked the atmosphere and artistic direction it had and the gambit system was good, but I found the story totally unmemorable to me. I can still remember incidental details and characters from 7, 8, 9 and 10. There are main party members from 12 I can barely remember.

6 hours ago, DumbMagician said:

I'm *this* close to buying WOFF but I'm worried it's gonna be too easy (which was my issue with DQVII). Is it too easy?

It is fairly easy. I'm just tootling along enjoying the story and the world /ideas. Buying it might help promote the old school turn based combat. Especially if it sells as well as or better than FFXV ^_^

Nice, thanks Radish. Cancelled with Amazon and preordered there, it's cheaper anyway. Would be cool if it shipped today, but I also don't really mind getting it a day or two late. This one's more "morbid curiosity" than "furious hype".

10 hours ago, DumbMagician said:

I'm *this* close to buying WOFF but I'm worried it's gonna be too easy (which was my issue with DQVII). Is it too easy?

Its nice and easy right untill the last boss where 

Spoiler

You have to defeat 5 bosses in a row and the last one is super annoying with all his status ailments on you

Apart from that it's a fun well made game and I finished around 

Spoiler

70 hours with just the last dungeon to do I'll get round to doing it

You should definitely get it its a welcomed return to turn based ff games for me

58 minutes ago, Radish said:

Simplygames just sent me a dispatch email & text, so if you're looking to play it over the weekend it might be worth placing an order with them. 

I've cancelled elsewhere and gone with this - if the game is shite at least I can find out it's shite early while I can still get a few quid for it at CEX.

3 hours ago, Triple A said:

I have, and I'm still very doubtful they will move back to turn based combat for a main series game (I appreciate there are loads of other FF titles out there).  You do have to give them credit though for thoroughly re-working the franchise so many times, even at the cost of vast internal upheaval, and potentially losing fans along the way.  It would have been very easy for them to have stopped at X or XII and just pumped out different stories using the same mechanics, like a certain other major Japanese RPG franchise (or Star Ocean for that matter which also doesn't seem to have moved forward appreciably).

44 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I have, and I'm still very doubtful they will move back to turn based combat for a main series game (I appreciate there are loads of other FF titles out there).  You do have to give them credit though for thoroughly re-working the franchise so many times, even at the cost of vast internal upheaval, and potentially losing fans along the way.  It would have been very easy for them to have stopped at X or XII and just pumped out different stories using the same mechanics, like a certain other major Japanese RPG franchise (or Star Ocean for that matter which also doesn't seem to have moved forward appreciably).

Rightly so they have tried to move with the times / what customers want with their main product.

In any industry you go where the demand is. Sadly that's not something that suits me. I do generally enjoy the turn based combat and haven't enjoyed any of the action based. (I still keep buying it). Companies that don't move with the times get left behind and I suspect Star Ocean won't have too many left in it sadly (I thoroughly enjoyed the PS3 game).

14 hours ago, Tailfly said:

I have XII on ps2 but that's now in the loft! 

XII had the most interesting story and cast of any final fantasy game I've played, Matsuno put a HUGE amount of work into that world and characters. The addition of Trophies, HD Or even better some sort of Pro 4K support alongside the international version changes should make for a good update. I've no knowledge of how the international version plays in comparison but hopefully the battle system is more challenging and the AI abilities (gambits) restructured in some way. Heard they have redone the soundtrack which could be bad but I wasn't in love with the VERY Star Wars influenced music in the first place.

Having previously struggled to get past the first hour or so, I played (vanilla) XII to completion this year and for the most part I enjoyed it. There are a few difficulty spikes along the way (probably due to my lack of grinding) and I personally didn't like the overuse of status ailments (on a second playthrough I'd definitely pick up the requisite white magic and gambits as soon as possible), and the Sochen Cave maze was a pain, but most of the time I found it pretty enjoyable. Oh, and the characters weren't all amazing but they weren't awful either.

I did see Zodiac Age at EGX this year but I didn't have time to play. Even so, the sharper visuals looks great. :) 

7 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I also got my Simplygames despatch. So excited for this. unlike most my Hype had never really dimmed on this, I even enjoyed the demos. The only decision I have left is whether to watch the no doubt crappy movie tonight in preparation? 

Yes watch it, it is not the crap. It will give you some useful backstory.

Yeah movie was alright for a bunch of silly pseudo medieval tosh.

It actually has given me much better outline of what people are talking about in the game when it inevitably arrives.

I normally get utterly lost when game stories start doing some kind of alternate world politics. I wish they would keep things more simple and less grand but more personal ....like Mass Effect did.

49 minutes ago, Radish said:

The Day One patch will add Kingsglaive scenes to the game to explain some things, but I'm not sure exactly when that patch will be available. I'm hoping they won't wait until Tuesday to push it out. 

IMG_0183.JPG

;) 

Final Fantasy XII International was disappointingly easy, sadly. Still awesome though. 

World of Final Fantasy is garbage tbh. Cheap iOS level gaming. Not a fan. 

XV, does actually look pretty decent. The recent 101 trailer impressed me quite a bit more than I expected. I'm still somewhat nervous but a little more optimistic it might actually be good.

As for turn based battles, Square never needed to abandon them. It was random encounters that needed the boot. They simply should have refined the engine used in XII. It took offline rpgs into a new dimension but remain true to itself. 

40 minutes ago, Akira said:

Why is it so dead in here! It's a new final fantasy : /

has anyones shopto order dispatched? 

It's been a few years since they made a good one to be fair. They shit upon us with 13, and even though they apologised for it being shit and promised to make it up to us, they kept making games related to FF13! Then they made some horrible iOS ports, and then some more shit mobile games with the FF name stuck on. They even bollocksed up the FFX remake by ruining the character models and midi soundtrack.

I was just talking to my brother about this, and I decided the best game Squenix have made since FF12 is Theatrhythm. Now if only they'd make a Dragon Quest version...

To be honest the best thing about Final Fantasy in this day and age is all the games it's inspired over the years from developers outside of Square.

I do wish they would let Final Fantasy just be Final Fantasy and not feel like they have to pander to us in the west who strangely loved Final Fantasy for what it was and not so much for what they turned it into.