Final Fantasy XV

Broker

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

This is nonsense. FFXV is in no way the only game currently out there with Japanese character design. And it's not being criticised for having Japanese character design , but for having bad character design. Atlus and Falcom consistently put out games with great Japanese character design, so there's absolutely no excuse for Squeenix' off-brand Smap.

Sure ain't no gruff middle-aged guys with beards here, nosiree!

ffxv.jpg

How is FFXV's character design worse than Watch Dogs 2 design for example? And how is the character design all that different from the anime standards we have come to expect? Girlish boy hero, check. Immensely stupid hair, check. Overblown expressions, check. Half naked girls, check. City devouring monsters check. Kings check. Evil empires check. All in all it is the writing and story that make you look past all these extravagant nonsense of this kind of anime, isn't it?

This has a great looking open world and filled with content by the looks of it. The battle system looks strange but I am hopeful that it will at least be deep. The lore seems really expanded, with a movie and an anime... I mean, why on earth are we being so negative when the only real flop, imo at least, has been the last game in a series of many, many games? Just because of a demo released a year ago or something? I don't get it, truly.

I am not saying it will be great or anything, I just don't understand how we seem to find excuses for shit titles like Mafia 3 and we have been generally crucifing this even before release.

12 hours ago, Triple A said:

New Eurogamer Let's Play

I scanned through that video, and I'm glad someone else finds the obscure parts of this game utterly hilarious.  

What's really making this a 'no' for me is the clunky Bros following you around and looking so awkward.  Even worse when the open their mouths.

This game has been so drawn out as mentioned above that ANY hype or looking forward to it I originally had is just completely gone. I've gone from "oooh sweet another FF game and on Next gen!" to "meh, I'll get it eventually." 

Just give me a FF13 remaster (hell even BC) and I can die happy. 

Off topic, I feel exactly the same about The Last Guardian.

But enough with the negativity, I do hope this turns out to be excellent. I am certain I can learn to like or just ignore the character design, as long as the combat is satisfying and the story is somewhat non-cringy.

11 hours ago, nakamura said:

Square haven't made a top drawer offline RPG for ten years. Matsuno, Takahashi, Uematsu, Matsuda, Sakaguchi and more have all left. 

That's why it's a worry. 

I get it. I worry too. Myself I'm trying to shut down in my mind the immensely awful english voice overs and the upcoming and predictable story fuck ups. I do not expect CD Projekt RED or Obsidian levels of writing, so I keep my expectations checked. So, I get the worry.

But worrying and seemingly taking it part before it is even released are two different things, imo. Besides, this may well be the last release of this kind for Square Enix. Show some respect people. :P

On 16/11/2016 at 19:29, Cosmic_Guru said:

The build up to this must be one of the longest drawn out and weirdest ever.  That said, how can any self respecting RPG fan ignore a new mainline FF game?

Also, Piggyback are doing the guidebook and they are fab.

My piggyback ffx guide was the best 15 quid I ever spent 

I went into the judgement disc demo to see if I could find the fishing mini game.

Its kinda ok, it's a mini game that might bring a smile to your face the first couple of times.

I rented Kingsglaive last night but had to turn it off because I was tired and it was 1am.

I was actually enjoying and following what I've seen so far. The lip sync in that movie is odd sometimes but bugger me that's some impressive CG business going on right there.

So apparently this launched early in Peru and the UAE and spoilers have been pouring out online, and honestly they made me pretty de-hyped.

So the bit I was looking forwards to was exploring the world, because I love that from fantasy games and the FF series do worldbuilding and unique production design so well and there was a lot of emphasis on the experiential aspects of it with the road trip and camping out and so on. Going to all the cities a big RPG whose gameplay is a bit more western-inspired? Great. 

VZVIZtz.png

Unfortunately, that original design spec seems to have been impossible, the actual explorable area is this. There are still some areas in the second half of the game, but they're all just isolated and linked by a train in a manner that's kind of obvious they couldn't get everything done. Looking back in the thread they were building out the train station in the start of 2015, so after a few years of development they seemed to realise they were nowhere near completion and couldn't get it done in under 10 years or something.

I thought they were just being coy with their marketing, with a lot of it focused on areas early in the game, but nope we've kind of seen everything and that's all they have. We've seen all the Summons in the game, despite being referred to as "the Six", three are apparently killed off offscreen by the badguys and never shown. They kept showing similar views of that city in the middle of the map and I wondered why they weren't showing more of it and it's because it's just a background you can see from the train station.

And a lot of what's there seems half-baked. I watched a setpiece on top of a moving train where they had to warp between a bunch of airships and fight through them and take them down from inside, kind of like Uncharted 4's convoy chase, except here every step was communicated by pausing the game and putting up a big text box saying exactly what to do and making the player confirm X that they'd read it rather than - well the Uncharted 4 convoy chase where all of that stuff is just apparent by design and playtesting. Like there's three companion characters always with you, maybe they could yell out what you're supposed to do with dialogue rather than interrupting the flow of the big action setpiece with a message from the devs?