Final Fantasy XV

Broker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2016 at 13:05, JPickford said:

Does anyone know if you can get rid of those stupid hairstyles?  I cringe just looking at them.

They are bad those hair do's, like mid 90's Brit Pop sensations Menswear have found themselves stuck in a Japanese RPG.

I just can't see this game doing well at all.

im so up for a final fantasy but didn't like a second I've played of 15 so far.

its the combat I have problem with. It's not realtime and it's not turned based which leave it in the 'press a button and something will happen 3 seconds from now' category.

ill still hit it though and enjoy the production values. I think it'll be the last time we see such production values on a game like this. I almost expect Square to end up like Sega in 5 years time, they just can't seem to catch a break.

7 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

Everyone should try world of final fantasy if u are looking for an old school style final fantasy 

I Missed turn based games

There's been a few 'bigger' turn based RPGs recently. World of Final Fantasy, Tokyo Mirage Sessions is amazing, as is Trails of Cold Steel. Next year we'll have Persona 5 and South Park as well.

The edge preview

Spoiler

says that the first half of the game is open-world & then it is very linear.

I'm not going to purchase on release will wait until I have finished DQB & for a couple of patches.

Enjoyed watching the Brotherhood Anime yesterday will watch Kingslaive over the weekend.

On 10/11/2016 at 11:52, gospvg said:

The edge preview

Reveal hidden contents

says that the first half of the game is open-world & then it is very linear.

I'm not going to purchase on release will wait until I have finished DQB & for a couple of patches.

Enjoyed watching the Brotherhood Anime yesterday will watch Kingslaive over the weekend.

It's like the opposite of XIII.

So I made a Japanese account because there is a Judgement Disc demo.

It starts of with a long battle tutorial that was pretty helpful and I have to say the combat felt better than the previous demos.

Then a short cut scene with real time graphics that looked nice before an FMV cut scene which looked phenomenal.

The on to the game, here's my first 15 minutes....

The demo supports 3 modes though I could only get 2 to work it might be because I don't have a 4K capable TV?

I switched between the PS4 PRO mode and the standard PS4 mode but the difference wasn't obvious. The pro high quality mode did look better with cleaner textures and better lighting but like I say you would have to do a side by side.

To say the PRO mode tanked the frame rate would be unfair but there was a clear boost when using the lower quality mode.

For me the biggest problem with this game apart from the haircuts is the camera. Combat is uncomfortable because you never feel like you have a grip on it and it's really hard to pick things out of the super realistic graphics unlike more gamey games.

I've played every FF game at least once through and have lots of fond memories of them but this has just completely fallen off my radar. The ridiculous amount of marketing gone into was completely forgotten about after that awful E3 demo. Not a fan of the whole dude bro road trip vibe either. Having said that, the premise of the combat looked decent, will have to wait and see what the reviewers say but this could be the first FF game I don't play :/ 

Meanwhile I'm inexplicably looking forward to it, having never enjoyed a Final Fantasy,* and having only ever completed one Final Fantasy - X - and no, I'm not sure why I bothered either. Clearly I have some deep and hidden longing to steer a group of boy band members with amusing, lovingly rendered hair around an alien landscape.

*bar VI, which I enjoyed for the first 10-12 hours or so before getting bored.

2 hours ago, Varsity said:

I've played every FF game at least once through and have lots of fond memories of them but this has just completely fallen off my radar. The ridiculous amount of marketing gone into was completely forgotten about after that awful E3 demo. Not a fan of the whole dude bro road trip vibe either. Having said that, the premise of the combat looked decent, will have to wait and see what the reviewers say but this could be the first FF game I don't play :/ 

Watch the anime series & kingslaive & that will get you into the mood. I'm not buying on release but will do once I've finished DQB.

3 hours ago, gospvg said:

Watch the anime series & kingslaive & that will get you into the mood. I'm not buying on release but will do once I've finished DQB.

Is Kingsglaive worth a watch then?

I'm not expecting much from it, but it looks pretty enough and possibly worth a few quid to rent!

2 hours ago, Triple A said:

that's not Cid. that's his grand-daughter

Thank goodness. I was genuinely quite sad when Corleth told me it was Cid. I'm not quite sure what it is, but finding Cid and Biggs and Wedge are always mini fist pump moments for me, but I can live with the grand-daughter. :)

I have not watched the brotherhood series yet. Does it set much in terms of story for the game? I can't see myself watching it before the game comes out if i'm honest. 

The series is in the FFXV film isn't it? I have that somewhere so i'll have to watch it at some point.

15 hours ago, JoeK said:

Is Kingsglaive worth a watch then?

I'm not expecting much from it, but it looks pretty enough and possibly worth a few quid to rent!

It give you the back-story to the game, I'd say yes it is worth watching along with the anime series.

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

I have not watched the brotherhood series yet. Does it set much in terms of story for the game? I can't see myself watching it before the game comes out if i'm honest. 

The series is in the FFXV film isn't it? I have that somewhere so i'll have to watch it at some point.

No the anime series is different from the movie, watch the anime first it tells you the back story of the three companions to Noctis.

The movies tells you the story of the king (Noctis Father) & what happens before the start of the game.