Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

Alan Wake's American Nightmare

Didn't they already say that this is a spin-off and in no way a sequel? God, I hope those rumours of proper Alan Wake 2 being in development for the NextBox 720 are true. The original is one of my fave games of the last gen and I would love to see where they take the story and the setting next.

Albeit an enjoyable game I was underwhelmed by the original. I expected less action and more of an interesting narrative and thus offer a unique type of experience. It did boast a ton of potential though so maybe they're toning down the standard fare and take it to the next level this time.

• Upvote 2

squeeeeeeee

Genuinely up for this having played original and DLC. Its so deliciously OTT and an obvious sub-Stephen King bonkers storyline.

I love Stephen King and I love sub-Stephen King trashy novels.

Therefore I love Alan Wake.

pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease be like the original and not some weak Kinect point finger to be a torch shit

One of the only 360 games I played to death and loved every minute of, and I usually only do that with rpg's. Loved the dlc's as well, so will definitely be getting this!

I'm hoping this is quite surreal, more along the lines of The Writer DLC, given the title. IIRC Wake used to write for Night Springs so it'd be pretty awesome if you were playing through the equivalent of a Night Springs episode. Given they're saying that it expands the story a bit, maybe it could be a flashback episode to a younger Wake in his Night Spring days. There's a lot of stuff that obviously happened in the past that wasn't properly explained in the game.

I hope it has lots of samey forest levels with no variety.

Nah I quite enjoyed the first, it was extremely unimaginative with what it had you doing though, considering the storyline.

• Upvote 1

The flaws in Alan Wake were plain for all to see, yet it still ranks as one of my favourite games of this generation. When I heard that this was going to be an XBLA title my heart sank, but I'm getting the impression that it'll be a more substantial game than we thought, so bring it on.

Also: nail gun, fuck yeah! :D

I found Alan Wake quite exciting in places, but my memories of it are forever tainted - a little by the repetition, and a lot by the fact that Alan Wake himself is an absolute prick.

Plus I'd already played Deadly Premonition and that was pretty much everything I originally thought Alan Wake would be. Wake had much better combat, of course, but he couldn't compete with York/Zach and the wonderfully weird world of Greenvale.

• Upvote 2

Enjoyed Alan Wake, never really got on with the dlc though.

Can't say i remember much about the experience though.

if you're not having AW flashbacks every time you're out at night and a tree casts a shadow you're doing it wrong.

I found Alan Wake quite exciting in places, but my memories of it are forever tainted - a little by the repetition, and a lot by the fact that Alan Wake himself is an absolute prick.

I actually liked that about it. It was quite realistic as writers who can't write are absolute pricks.

I never understood Wake being a prick as intrinsically being a negative. Do all protagonists have to be a likeable Nathan Drake figure? They justify it enough, hinting at alcohol and domestic problems in the past, and more that is alluded to but never properly explained (the FBI agent). In the Eurogamer review of either The Signal or The Writer, the reviewer kept going on about Wake being an asshole in his narration and I kept thinking 'but why shouldn't he be?' He's trapped in the fucking darkness, he's sacrificed himself for his wife, he's spent hours battling against enemies, he's clearly mentally unstable, do you want him wisecracking his way through this mental breakdown?

I dunno, I just don't see why the main character in any form of narrative, be it literature, film or games, has to be likeable.

• Upvote 2

Alan Wake himself is an absolute prick.

It was quite realistic as writers who can't write are absolute pricks.

I guess it cut too close to the bone :(

;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Collector's Editions are usually a tool to part fools from their money. Apart from the Alan Wake Collector's Edition which was amazing.

Itm1T.jpg

For starters it cost THE SAME as the normal edition (I think it was meant to be a tenner more, but everywhere sold it for £39.99).

It came with:

- A nice box that looked like a hardback novel.

- A code to get the first piece of DLC for free.

- A bonus disc that not only contained your usual concept art and making-ofs, but also two Xbox Dashboard themes and some Alan Wake avatar get up (I'm still using the lovely Bright Falls during the day theme).

- A soundtrack CD.

- A hardback colour book that was supposed to be published by someone looking into Alan Wake's disappearance. It was really nicely presented and had stuff that shed light on some of the events of the game as well as things like excerpts from Wake's earlier novels.

I liked the game so much I bought the normal version, completed it, then bought the collectors edition as well. Best collectors edition I think I've seen or owned ^_^

I never understood Wake being a prick as intrinsically being a negative. Do all protagonists have to be a likeable Nathan Drake figure? They justify it enough, hinting at alcohol and domestic problems in the past, and more that is alluded to but never properly explained (the FBI agent). In the Eurogamer review of either The Signal or The Writer, the reviewer kept going on about Wake being an asshole in his narration and I kept thinking 'but why shouldn't he be?' He's trapped in the fucking darkness, he's sacrificed himself for his wife, he's spent hours battling against enemies, he's clearly mentally unstable, do you want him wisecracking his way through this mental breakdown?

I dunno, I just don't see why the main character in any form of narrative, be it literature, film or games, has to be likeable.

Well, the difference is that in a game you are responsible for that character. In films and books you can have characters like that because there's only a passive involvement on the part of the consumer, but it's harder to spend time controlling a character you don't like.

And there are plenty of characters in other games who are flawed, who have troubled backgrounds, who aren't necessarily charismatic or quick with the wisecracks, but still interesting. I just didn't find anything in the character to like or that I could relate to.

You need to be a very good writer to make an unlikable character work. The guys at Remedy didn't have the chops. I would've preferred to play the whole game as Barry.