Space Combat Games

One of my all time favourites was Privateer 2: The Darkening. For me it was a great blend of combat and trading without getting bogged down in too much detail. Didn't even mind the movies/acting/cut scenes that were all the rage at the time ... in fact, wasn't John Hurt in it as well?

Sadly, this seems to be the "forgotten genre" in my mind. Would love to see something similar, even a remake. And too add to my unrealistic expectations, would kill for something like this for PS3 in 3D.

Surely this is another genre that would be pretty amazing in 3D? (Perhaps the same goes for flight sims/dog fighting too)

I assume Freelancer was the sequel to Starlancer? Cor, I'd love to play that.

No, it isn't. It is an Elite-type game with more of a narrative. It's a good game. I think I've still got it somewhere, but it had a bug for me that stopped me from completing it.

I personally think all we need is Ace Combat in space, with motherships and fuck-off amazing exploisons.

Its already been created - it's called Project Sylpheed :eyebrows:

Seriously though, as Wing Commander style space operas go it's still probably the best I've ever played, with a ridiculously OTT jap-emo FMV storyline, huge battleships brimming with guns to take down piece by piece, and 'ace squadron' duels/dogfighting straight out of the Ace Combat series.

Problem I have is that I don't think anyone has yet beaten Elite. Which is a bit of a sad state of affairs for the genre.

Yes I know lots of games are technically superior.. Frontier was , for gods sake, but it never had the immediacy of Elite for me.

Elite was a spark of genius noone could recreate/improve not even its joint creator. The sequel was bogged down with physics realism etc.

Actually scratch that I am just an old sod...

The problem with Elite being replicated nowadays is that technology has moved on and our imaginations have to do less work. Really Elite was just one clever trip from start point to space station, rinse repeat, and then it went harder up and down based on what you had in your cargo hold and what rank you were. (With a few modifiers based on if you were an outlaw, or whatnot)

Nowadays, games not only have to have amazing graphical power, but they have to have really powerful AI and AI that can be interacted with - (how many times did you think in Elite, "Oh that guys following me, he's gonna nick my space dust and I'm gonna turn around pre-empt his attack!") - nowadays people want the game to tell them that is going to happen.

I just don't think Elite can be replicated or "beaten" now because I think the gaming world has changed and people aren't willing to fill in the gaps in the game with their imaginations... (just look at the Call of duty thread for that)

Sure there are games like Infinity that tease and think they can come close, but they won't. They can never be everything to all men, (no matter how much they want to try)

I'm certain this is why Elite 4 is something Braben comes out with every couple of years so he can hire staff... (come join me and you'll get to work on Elite 4! Won't that be terrific!) = The outsider.

So yeah I am still looking for a decent "Elite"... Just take Elite and add more missions and tart up the graphics.

Simple

http://www.oolite.org/

The problem with Elite being replicated nowadays is that technology has moved on and our imaginations have to do less work.

etc

Agreed.

And that is a shame because without being encumbered by a scripted story it allowed it to be whatever you wanted it to be. The random planet info generation and other generated stuff really helped you think this was a new unknown area of galaxy.

And if you didn't have the imagination to "write your own story" you could read the novella and branch out from that imagining it was "you".

A perfect game , there arent many of those.

Yes I know this all sounds like "when I were a lad..." but I think imagination should be an important part of games. It was when I played Heroquest or Dungeons & dragons back in the day. And it is just as important now when you go on Wow RP servers etc.

No, it isn't. It is an Elite-type game with more of a narrative. It's a good game. I think I've still got it somewhere, but it had a bug for me that stopped me from completing it.

I just remembered I never got this because I was waiting for an Xbox release, which never came.

iOS and mac Galaxy on Fire II (HD) is brilliant.

Is it really that good? I might get it if so.

Agreed.

And that is a shame because without being encumbered by a scripted story it allowed it to be whatever you wanted it to be. The random planet info generation and other generated stuff really helped you think this was a new unknown area of galaxy.

And if you didn't have the imagination to "write your own story" you could read the novella and branch out from that imagining it was "you".

A perfect game , there arent many of those.

Yes I know this all sounds like "when I were a lad..." but I think imagination should be an important part of games. It was when I played Heroquest or Dungeons & dragons back in the day. And it is just as important now when you go on Wow RP servers etc.

I think that's the major factor as to why not many people big developers try space trading/ shooting games - because nowadays it'd need to have the on-world planet stuff of Mass effect, the combat of call of duty, the narrative power of fallout, the space combat of freespace, the trading of X, the mmo-ness of eve and so on.. excusing the pun, the universe is pretty darned big.

And that's always been why I've wanted to remake Damocles for so long...

Just a very tight story in a seven planet solar system... could be done to perfection with today's tech...

Pity we now live in a world where games like these don't sell and therefore big publishers won't take the risk in making them...

</when I was a lad grumble>

One of the things I absolutely love about the two Frontier games is that they're set in our galaxy. Completely, totally, recognisably home. It's exploring the very stars we can see from here, it's about realising that fantasy.

What other games out there do the same thing?

I've no idea how good this is but it looks pretty sweet...

s34.jpg

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/index.htm

And you can get 50% off at ShowMeTheGames.com right now ($15)...

http://www.showmethegames.com/sales.php

That sounds amazing - the kind of thing I dreamed might be possible as I played Star Raiders II on the Spectrum. The idea of a complete 'seamless' galaxy where you can go from planet to planet, through nebulas, to moons etc as you please is pretty awesome to me. I wonder if it's procedurally generated? Presumably it has to be, or the galaxy would have to be very small.

It is really, really hard to overstate how interesting I-War is. It's a bit rough in places, but it's a wonderful game about what it might be like to pilot a small-ish vessel (about 30 crew) in space. In that: almost no mission turns into a straight out "kill everything" fest. By the end of the game you've been a test-pilot of a fighter, caught a nuclear bomb, survived a hijacking, met aliens, and made some big choices. It's so very interesting - and, for a game as old as it is, still very pretty. Really nice aesthetic style.

Theres was other Space combat sim i've forgotten on the Amiga and its not the first time.

It featured a giant monolith as boss. A bit like a long grey piller and it was controlled by a colony of insects.

Now what was that?

Warhead, that boss was the beserker. Ended up in a black hole!

It is really, really hard to overstate how interesting I-War is. It's a bit rough in places, but it's a wonderful game about what it might be like to pilot a small-ish vessel (about 30 crew) in space. In that: almost no mission turns into a straight out "kill everything" fest. By the end of the game you've been a test-pilot of a fighter, caught a nuclear bomb, survived a hijacking, met aliens, and made some big choices. It's so very interesting - and, for a game as old as it is, still very pretty. Really nice aesthetic style.

Theres was other Space combat sim i've forgotten on the Amiga and its not the first time.

It featured a giant monolith as boss. A bit like a long grey piller and it was controlled by a colony of insects.

Now what was that?

Oddly enough Glyn Williams was behind both these games.

Warhead, that boss was the beserker. Ended up in a black hole!

Many thanks. I think it was the Black Hole level i got stuck at. Didn't you have to pull up or something at some point. Always killed me anyway.

:lol:

I never did play I-War properly. Was that the one where you started off in a lift or something?

Hmm....maybe not.

I'm sure there was a space game where you started off in some kind of lift and it had designer republic styled graphics/cities (Not Coloney Wars). Gonna have me thinking all night now.

Many thanks. I think it was the Black Hole level i got stuck at. Didn't you have to pull up or something at some point. Always killed me anyway.

:lol:

I never did play I-War properly. Was that the one where you started off in a lift or something?

Hmm....maybe not.

I'm sure there was a space game where you started off in some kind of lift and it had designer republic styled graphics/cities (Not Coloney Wars). Gonna have me thinking all night now.

Hardwar? That was an elite style game set entirely on a colony on one of Jupiter's moons.