rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
lordcookie

22 Jump Street : 23 Jump Street now officially announced

Synopsis: In the action-comedy 21 Jump Street, Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) are more than ready to leave their adolescent problems behind. Joining the police force and the secret Jump Street unit, they use their youthful appearances to go undercover in a local high school. As they trade in their guns and badges for backpacks, Schmidt and Jenko risk their lives to investigate a violent and dangerous drug ring. But they find that high school is nothing like they left it just a few years earlier – and neither expects that they will have to confront the terror and anxiety of being a teenager again and all the issues they thought they had left behind.

That's the film! I read last week the red band trailer was showing up this week but for the life of me, a few days later I couldn't remember which film it was!

Just got back from this and it's brilliant. Takes Hot Fuzz, Superbad, and I Love You man, puts them in a blender and seasons the mixture with a pinch of Community. Knowing without being cynical, full of heart without being full of schmaltz, crude without being disgusting--it's the best comedy since Bridesmaids.

And yeah, the original theme (in remixed form) does make an appearance at the end of the credits.

So very good. Although really wish there was more of the supporting cast in it, namely Ellie Kemper and Nick Offermann, who were both excellent in their roles. Loads of really good proper belly laugh moments, especially from Tatum.

A lot funnier than I expected. I suppose it is something like an American Hot Fuzz, in some ways, in that most of what is good about is its own self-awareness. That said, the action elements feel a little tacked on and overall it isn't as good as that film. Tatum is surprisingly inspired casting as a comedy straight man - his unreconstructed woodenness works perfectly in this, and he's pretty good at physical comedy. Similarly, Ice Cube as a weirdly self-referentially stereotypical grizzled, angry police captain works pretty well.

Saw this last night, had a great time with it. At one point, I thought I was going to choke to death, I was laughing so hard.

This is the first film that I've actually liked Tatum in, he's a sweet dummy and very hard to dislike.

Saw this recently - decent with a lot of laughs and considering we saw the hangover part 2 in the last few weeks it was nice to watch a comedy that didn't contravene the trade descriptions act.

• Upvote 1

It's a shame more people haven't seen this, but then again, I wasn't sold by the trailer at all. The final product on the other hand, thoroughly entertaining and there was a genuinely funny moment ever 5-10 minutes or so. Needed more Ron Swanson, but other than that, I'd definitely recommend giving this a watch.

I would like to point out that I never watched the original show and so I had no attachment to the 'franchise' before watching this. Definitely a surprisingly good and entertaining film.

Also, f**k you, science!

Just to be contrary I really didn't click with this at all. At the time I felt it was an average comedy but the more I think about it the more I dislike it. The whole premise/plot is a waste of time. Jonah Hill plays his obnoxious, shouty geek routine. The drug plot is mishandled - a drug that kills a student, so let's get lots of laughs out of people going crazy on it. PS. Everyone do marijuana it's great! Who is insisting every teen comedy/horror pushes the joys of marijuana us? I really hate this gung-ho FUCK YEAH! Michael Bay attitude that's endemic through recent US comedies (see: Bradley Cooper in The Hangover) and it stems here from Jonah Hill. Tatum was funny in parts.

I've decided that any film which features an "Aren't we badass, motherfuckers?" slow-mo of characters arriving somewhere to incredibly loud music is immediately a write-off for me.

For US comedy, you're average episode of Always Sunny, Parks & Recs, HIMYM are funnier.

Did you miss the part with the doves? That was the joke, they were lambasting "Aren't we badass, motherfuckers?" slow-mo of characters arriving somewhere to incredibly loud music scenes.

Saw this a week or so back, very funny and entertaining.

'Fuck you, science!' was a particular favourite of mine!

i think this is the funniest film i've seen since Bad Santa and i don't say that lightly. Channing Tatum is fucking hilarious; when he's explaining the different groups of kids to Jonah Hill i totally lost it.

• Upvote 2

Saw this last night and loved it...

I think it was the fact that I htought "I know whats going to happen here, the butch guy is going to fit back in etc", but the fact that childhood had gone all "Glee" was brilliant and inspired... I suspect it will appeal to people of my age (30+) more than the "kids" of today, as it's basically poking fun at them.......

This has just turned up on UK Netflix.

Funny stuff from start to finish.

The tripping bit, the party and

cameo near the end

were highlights

This was one of the funniest films I've seen in ages. The bit where Channing Tatum goes mad on drugs with the school band made me laugh so much I couldn't move. "Fuck you, Miles Davis!" Action comedies seem to have made a bit of a resurgence in recent years - The Other Guys, Green Hornet, and this were all fantastic.

• Upvote 3

How has this thread only got 20 posts in it? Just watched this and it is the funniest film I've seen in ages - love the initial bit '37 Jump Street - no, that doesn't sound right...' :D

Very entertaining, and I liked both Channing and Hill (and I don't usually like Hill in particular) - they had a real working chemistry. Good comic turns from all the teachers and Ice Cube was great. Fun little cameos at the end, too :D

Did I read somewhere a while back saying that there's a sequel planned?

I hate Jonah Hill and I thought him and Channing Tatum were brilliant in this. I love how they hammered home the parody aspect.

The big where Tatum gets called out for looking 'like a 40 year old' still makes me chuckle. Good stuff.

Did I read somewhere a while back saying that there's a sequel planned?

Yep, a sequel is in pre-production.

From the end of the film I'd say we're getting:

21 Jump Street: The College Years!

Wow, surprised this had such a positive reception. I'll freely admit I've been pretty lukewarm on all the acclaimed comedy films of recent years; The Hangover and Horrible Bosses were only ever mildly amusing, and never consistently, but I couldn't watch 21 Jump Street all the way through ( think I turned off at the car chase ). Was about to list what bits I did find funny about it but apart from mexican jesus and the captain's line about rehashing old concepts nothing really stuck in my head.

• Upvote 1