rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
lordcookie

Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity

Not round these parts, and across vast swathes of the internet. Something is either AMAZING or TOTAL SHIT.

It's because the Internet is made out of 1s and 0s. Somehow that seems to make everyone have binary opinions.

When Stone landed, the wife - who didn't enjoy it as much as I did - said "What. She's going to fucking drown now?"

I think the movie does "things going wrong" for so long that it does begin to toy with ridiculousness. Probably over that line for some people. I was half convinced she was going to get eaten by a crocodile to emphasise man's futility in the face of the vast hostility of the universe, I was so strung out by then.

You hit a point right on there: the backstory doesn't seem so schmaltzy when you know about real, capital-D depression.

• Upvote 2

Has this been posted in here yet?

During a pivotal scene in Gravity, Sandra Bullock's character Ryan Stone, trapped inside a Russian space capsule with little hope of survival, makes contact with a male voice speaking via radio in a foreign language. What unfolds on the other end of that fractured conversation, complete with a barking dog and a crying baby, is the subject of a short film by Jonas Cuaron, son of director Alfonso Cuaron.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gravity-spinoff-watch-side-sandra-657919

• Upvote 1

Ha ha, amazing.

I watched this again recently, at home on the small screen this time, I got as far as the woof-woof bit and turned it off. Without the spectacle of the big screen it's just not a very interesting thing to watch.

Ha ha, amazing.

I watched this again recently, at home on the small screen this time, I got as far as the woof-woof bit and turned it off. Without the spectacle of the big screen it's just not a very interesting thing to watch.

Could that be just because you'd already seen it as much as anything? Me and the wife watched it at home the other day and really enjoyed it from start to finish, although it obviously would've been excellent in IMAX we just never got the chance to see it in the cinema.

Could that be just because you'd already seen it as much as anything? Me and the wife watched it at home the other day and really enjoyed it from start to finish, although it obviously would've been excellent in IMAX we just never got the chance to see it in the cinema.

Possibly. Probably. I sat down to enjoy it, really looking forward to seeing it again because, that scene aside, I really enjoyed the experience first time round, but it just completely fell flat with me second time. As soon as the all the good visual delights were done my interest plummeted and I just turned it off. I don't think I've ever had an opinion of a film change so much between first and second viewing.

Forgot to post about this a few weeks back. The start was incredible, but they lost me the second Clooney and Bullock started talking. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was incredibly safe and uninteresting. The space bits were ok but never got anywhere near the opening again. I felt absolutely zero tension, as it felt clear early on that there was no way she was going to die. His sacrifice felt hollow and ultimately I felt like Clooney was making very little effort, just playing his standard self. I find bullock difficult to watch at the best of times, I feel like she's completely unconvincing in every role. Her narrating what she was seeing and doing throughout was painful, like the director thought the audience were complete morons, and the heavy handed symbolism and blocks of exposition and backstory added to that. For a film that so clearly wanted to feel real, I was completely unconvinced by both of the characters, their dialogue, motivations or actions. It all felt entirely hollow and perfunctory, just there to serve the effects and set pieces. Really reminded me of Titanic actually, but with the pretentious, self important tone of Man of Steel. Would watch the opening scene again, then just turn it off.

• Upvote 2

Heard so much praise for this over the best part of a year that I couldn't help but be a little disappointed - still thought it was good and very much enjoyed the movie. Found it frustrating that the main character constantly made her situation much worse by removing her helmet whenever possible.