Transformers 4: Age of Extinction - Mark Wahlberg to star

No, TF3 is a lot less dull than TF2 but it still manages to make a plot about the moon landings and giant robots boring. Don't do it.

I only saw it because I was bored and had a Cineworld card. Boy was that a miscalculation.

Got forced into seeing this, thankfully costing only time as I have an unlimited card. This is complete shite even by Transformers standards, but worse than that, it's thoroughly weird. And not in a good way. Stanley Tucci isn't anywhere near as funny as Bay seems to think he is, the constant cut-aways to him gurning just fall totally flat. What an annoying character. They managed to make a GIANT ROBOTIC TRICERATOPS boring. All the characters are intensely dislikable, even Optimus Prime.

There's a really creepy paedoy-incest vibe between Wahlberg's character and his daughter - for one thing, she isn't a character, more a nice pair of legs whose only duty is to look hot and inconvenience her dad at important plot points, because, hey, that's what women do. Anyway, he goes on and on about 'protecting her', telling her what to wear, is obsessed with her tight shorts that are ogled at by the camera in extreme close up from behind several times, he lives alone with her in the middle of nowhere in a remote compound and doesn't let her see 'boys' or go out of his sight unless given explicit permission, threatening to kill any man who comes near her... His obsessive relationship with his daughter is one of the central plots of the film and it's so fucking weird. I was starting to think he was supposed to be one of these guys like Ariel Castro who kidnapped young girls and brought them up in captivity, it's honestly that sleazy. WTF. There's also the vagina-killing scene too - I think Bay has some gynophobia issues.

There are about ten sub-plots and no real single actual coherent plot I could ascertain. There's a lot of clumsy discontinuous editing, which makes me think there is an even more arse-numbingly long cut sitting around somewhere.

The CGI scenes and fights and explosions are very, very pretty, though. And extremely boring. All the bits with Lockdown were highlights, because they had decent theme music.

It's amazing how everyone in this thread slates all the movies and Michael Bay yet everyone in this thread has seen the new film in less than a week after it's release.

I saw the original and it was so unbelievably horrific I haven't seen any of the others. I come here to get the skinny on my favourite toy growing up. I wouldn't dream of paying another penny toward having my childhood raped any further

I saw this last night. At the end I had no idea what the hell I had watched. Robots fighting were great, but everything else including any humans was just dreadful.

And the bit where the uncle gets horribly burnt to death? In a 12A? Bit strong, in my opinion.

I saw it the other night. Continuing my streak of not paying to watch a Transformers film (since I bought the 80's animated one on DVD) as my brother wanted to see it and said he's pay. I would never had wanted to see it at the cinema otherwise.

Anyway, I was actually somewhat pleasantly surprised and think this is by far the best out of the four. So glad the Whitwicky clan isn't in it with Shia the Beef shitting up the screen and I like Stanley Tucci in just about everything so liked him in this doing his best overblown Jobs impression.

Pro's:

Good CGI

Good human element this time round I thought. But maybe that just because The Beefs contributions were so shit?

Good bad guy. Though not having read the comics other than around the time the original animated move came out, I have no idea who he is other than what he is presented as in the film. No idea if there's prior history there with any Transformers featured in the film.

Con's:

Too much destruction again. Why Bay feels the need to destroy half the world in every film is beyond me and thousands of people must have died again. Maybe Bay hates the world and everyone in it? Hopefully next time we can have more fights taking place in barely populated areas so the fights can concentrate on the actual interaction between Transformers and make some sense without all the needless building destruction.

Plot strands not going anywhere. Galvatron/Megatron doing approximately stuff all except becoming sentient again after they built Galvatron.

Flip flopping motivations. Just about everyone changed their mind inexplicably about something at some point in this film.

Stereotypes. EVERYTHING in this film is a stereotype.

Meh, so it's no masterpiece in any discipline (except maybe current CGI: even with poor direction, it;s still very impressive), but as a summer blockbuster for the market it's aimed at, it delivers I guess.

5/10

I saw it the other night. Continuing my streak of not paying to watch a Transformers film (since I bought the 80's animated one on DVD) as my brother wanted to see it and said he's pay. I would never had wanted to see it at the cinema otherwise.

Anyway, I was actually somewhat pleasantly surprised and think this is by far the best out of the four. So glad the Whitwicky clan isn't in it with Shia the Beef shitting up the screen and I like Stanley Tucci in just about everything so liked him in this doing his best overblown Jobs impression.

Pro's:

Good CGI

Good human element this time round I thought. But maybe that just because The Beefs contributions were so shit?

Good bad guy. Though not having read the comics other than around the time the original animated move came out, I have no idea who he is other than what he is presented as in the film. No idea if there's prior history there with any Transformers featured in the film.

Con's:

Too much destruction again. Why Bay feels the need to destroy half the world in every film is beyond me and thousands of people must have died again. Maybe Bay hates the world and everyone in it? Hopefully next time we can have more fights taking place in barely populated areas so the fights can concentrate on the actual interaction between Transformers and make some sense without all the needless building destruction.

Plot strands not going anywhere. Galvatron/Megatron doing approximately stuff all except becoming sentient again after they built Galvatron.

Flip flopping motivations. Just about everyone changed their mind inexplicably about something at some point in this film.

Stereotypes. EVERYTHING in this film is a stereotype.

Meh, so it's no masterpiece in any discipline (except maybe current CGI: even with poor direction, it;s still very impressive), but as a summer blockbuster for the market it's aimed at, it delivers I guess.

5/10

I'm a pretty big fan and Lockdown has no prior TF Universe history as far as I know. If they wanted to do space mercenary, they should've had Death's Head instead.

I preferred him to Oi'm so Oirish, Oi am, to be sure.

Well, they're both shit characters, but one less shit comedy sidekick in a film full of them is very welcome.

Saw this yesterday.

Clearly nobody says "No" to Micheal Bay ever.

Fuck Hollywood.

Why would anyone say no to him when he has you all lining up, ready to complain after going to see his latest piece of WTF?

I'm a pretty big fan and Lockdown has no prior TF Universe history as far as I know. If they wanted to do space mercenary, they should've had Death's Head instead.

He's a relatively new character.. Appeared in Transformers Animated first as a Decepticon bounty hunter (I've a feeling the writers merely googled for that before deciding on him..) That said.. a version of him based on the Animated design did appear in the ROTF toy-line..

He's a relatively new character.. Appeared in Transformers Animated first as a Decepticon bounty hunter (I've a feeling the writers merely googled for that before deciding on him..) That said.. a version of him based on the Animated design did appear in the ROTF toy-line..

Ah that would explain it then, think Beast Wars was the last time I saw any new Transformers stuff outside of the movies.

There is an interesting BBC series running currently about consumerism, and they had an interview with one of the four men who came up with the fiction for the Americanised toyline, I assume the original Japanese designed toys didn't come with some fiction, blame Lucas for setting them all off in this direction, though his mate Spielberg usually gets the credit for starting the summer blockbuster idea.

Anyway, he and his 2 partners at the advertising agency and the head of marketing at Hasbro spent an epic 3 hour car journey bullshitting and came up with the foundations for the Transformers story, I suppose the writers they then hired to write the scripts for the TV advertising programming for their new toys fleshed it out somewhat.

They also brought up He-Man as another purpose built cartoon advertising series which worked wonders, #1 best selling toy in the UK the year the TV series aired, beating out the Star Wars toy line.

If anyone was in any doubt as to how important the Chinese market is to Hollywood, Transformers 4 answers that question.

There's a fair amount of Chinese product placement although not as crass as the 15 second Bud Light commercial about 90 minutes in. There are also some scenes in Chinese which they didn't bother to subtitle which was either an oversight or they just didn't think it was important. I dunno.

Thinking about the film, I think that every character in it was a dick in some way. I did like the first TF film and this is better than 2 or 3 but I couldn't recommend it.

There is an interesting BBC series running currently about consumerism, and they had an interview with one of the four men who came up with the fiction for the Americanised toyline, I assume the original Japanese designed toys didn't come with some fiction, blame Lucas for setting them all off in this direction, though his mate Spielberg usually gets the credit for starting the summer blockbuster idea.

Anyway, he and his 2 partners at the advertising agency and the head of marketing at Hasbro spent an epic 3 hour car journey bullshitting and came up with the foundations for the Transformers story, I suppose the writers they then hired to write the scripts for the TV advertising programming for their new toys fleshed it out somewhat.

They also brought up He-Man as another purpose built cartoon advertising series which worked wonders, #1 best selling toy in the UK the year the TV series aired, beating out the Star Wars toy line.

There was no original Japanese line - the first wave of Transformers were cobbled together from several different Japanese toy lines mainly the Diaclone (transforming cars) and Microman (transforming household objects) series, but some from other lines too (which is why Jetfire looked like a Super Valkyrie fighter from Macross for example).

So yes, some of the lines already had stories, but they still needed to create a new one to pull them all into one cohesive universe.

And that is probably the nerdiest thing I'll type today.

The entire 80s cartoon output just seems to be one glorified advertising campaign, amazing they managed to get something creative which has a life of its own out of the multiple cynical attempts to sell toys. The Simpsons went the opposite direction, a massively successful TV series which spawned merchandising, not a line of existing toys needing a story hook to promote them.

In a hungover moment of weakness I almost went to see this, so glad a cam version popped up yesterday...

Anyway the main takeaway I had was how psychopathic the good guys are (human & robot) and are constantly shouting out their intention to kill each other. I couldn't believe how long it was either and ended up skipping ahead to the dinobots.

Christ. The visuals are the only good part of the film and you watch a cam version? Surely the worst of both worlds.

It's a pretty good cam version, the sound was perfect - that's the bit I usually can't get past.

It's been weeks, but I'm still not over the fact that…

Despite the film's opening and the presence of the Dinobots at the very end, the two are never connected nor are they related. It isn't even implied. It's just… there.

and

Optimus punched freedom into Grimlock.

I'm not even sure if that last part was crazy, deliberate, sarcastic, patriotic, or just downright asinine. The only positive about the film is that the camera was sufficiently drawn back to show the robots this time around, and some of them actually got more lines. It's actually depressing how much of the stereotype characters of the previous films were recycled, just with different actors.

It's been weeks, but I'm still not over the fact that…

Despite the film's opening and the presence of the Dinobots at the very end, the two are never connected nor are they related. It isn't even implied. It's just… there.

and

Optimus punched freedom into Grimlock.

I'm not even sure if that last part was crazy, deliberate, sarcastic, patriotic, or just downright asinine. The only positive about the film is that the camera was sufficiently drawn back to show the robots this time around, and some of them actually got more lines. It's actually depressing how much of the stereotype characters of the previous films were recycled, just with different actors.

It's that kind of batshit madness that keeps me going back for more. He kicked the fuck out of Grimlock, then he's like GUYS! FREEDOMMMM!

I guess it's an American thing.